Sway bar, or no sway bar? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Sway bar, or no sway bar?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 12-18-2012, 05:54 AM   #16
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

I can drop coils with my sway bars installed.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2012, 07:25 AM   #17
slate98ZJ5Niner
1998 ZJ 

http://www.claytonoffroad.com/produc...roducts_id=262
slate98ZJ5Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2012, 04:21 PM   #18
Concolour
1994 ZJ 

My rear is out completely and she still has decent road manners... Haven't had a chance to do disco's for the front (debating removable pins or the jks style)

Funny thing is if you go read over in the wrangler forums you'll have one or two guys going "omfg don't remove any of your sway bars!!!!!!!! Blahblah off camber this n that! Guys in koth are running with swaybar a etc etc." IMO... I don't see how disconnecting at least the front would hurt... And if its trail only I say go all the way... It's not like you're gonna be on the road, right?
Concolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2012, 04:30 PM   #19
Mike97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

It sucks to drive onthestreet without a front swaybar, and IMO it's actually dangerous. Been there, done that, don't want to do it again!

Definitely better offroad without it though. Like was said before, a little more body roll, but if you're going slow it's not bad. The extra articulation more than makes up for it. The sway doesn't damp any up and down motion (like shocks do), so it won't make the ride any bouncier.

I'd leave the rear bar in, it doesn't really hinder flex that much, but I feel it provides some lateral stability on sidehills. I don't have a rear sway, and with the front disco'd as well I've been on some sidehills where I've felt a LOT of roll to the downhill side. The rear bar helps to keep the body a little more horizontal in those situations. I actually think the rear sway helps more OFF road than on, as I don't notice the lack of it when I'm on the street.
Mike97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2012, 09:33 PM   #20
codyjones11
1996 ZJ 

So I understand getting the links out is a piece of cake, but how difficult is it to get the sway bar actually out, I haven't really looked into it, just youtubed and searched the web
codyjones11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2012, 09:39 PM   #21
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
^^Its held in by 4 easy to access bolts. It you have a skid plate, you must remove it first (another 4 bolts) and then youll have access to the sway. Easy stuff.

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2012, 09:43 PM   #22
codyjones11
1996 ZJ 

Lost that skid plate about a week ago out wheeling.. thanks I'll have to look at it when I have some time get it outta there
codyjones11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2012, 09:44 PM   #23
JustinW23
1998 ZJ 

I will say that after you drive with it disconnected for a while then connect it back up, it feels like a sports car. Then you see how much of a difference it makes.

'98 ZJ 5.2 6" Long Arms, 265 75R 16's, Magnaflow Cat and Super 40, Taurus Fan Swap
JustinW23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 09:48 AM   #24
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

there is a reason a lot of guys run the Antirock Sway bars now front and rear; because having sway bars is an essential part of your suspension. those particular bars give you the stability you want while allowing for flex.

that said, keep the rear at all times. front you can disco for wheeling, on the street hook it back up; you don't even need fancy JKS discos; just unbolt it. thats all i do. takes minutes.

when you're on a sidehill with both sway bars disconnected the 'pucker' factor increases exponentially.

RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 11:07 AM   #25
sandman
1993 ZJ 

I run discos up front and nothing in the rear, the rear sway bar was removed because the mounts were damaged and I just never got new mounts, dont even know where the thing is now, probably somewhere in the basement or something.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.