Sway bar links and bushings ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Sway bar links and bushings ?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-20-2012, 02:54 PM   #1
purplejeep97
1997 ZJ 

Sway bar links and bushings ?

I have a 97 grand cherokee laredo (manual says that it's a TSi) 4x4 6cyl.

I'm having a problem going over bumps, just makes some creaking/popping noises. took it to a mechanic down the road from me. Got it back the next day he said that it was the sway bar links and bushings on the front. I'm not 100% sure I really believe him, because for one he wants $360 to replace them, claiming $117 was for parts, yet I look at autozone.com and the parts are under 20... also should mention this guy has an F rating on the BBB. I have help replacing the parts, but I can't get a second opinion until a couple days after Thanksgiving, and I really do not want to wait that long.
Got under the jeep and took a few pictures of the general area by the swar bar links.

Sorry for the quality of pictures. Was just wondering if anyone could spot something that looks terribly wrong, because I really don't know what it should look like to begin with.

purplejeep97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2012, 03:00 PM   #2
GTO71
1995 ZJ 

Sway Bar

He is a scammer, gives mechanics a bad name. The bushings look bad, you can get replacements foe 20 bucks and do it yourself, just spray them down for a few days with PB Blaster to break free the rust or you might break the sway bar link like I did, but evan them they are like 30 bucks from the auto parts store
GTO71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2012, 03:49 PM   #3
3xX
1994 ZJ 

Yup, definitely a ripoff.

If you have the time (probably 1-2 hours max for first timers), a few sockets and ratchets, you can do it yourself quite easily. Pictures won't really help here to diagnose sounds. Get under your car, have someone push down on the bumper to recreate the sound and listen to where the sound is coming from. If you still are not sure, disconnect the end links of the sway bar and push down on the bumper again. If the sound is gone, it's the sway bar bushings.
Unread 11-20-2012, 05:40 PM   #4
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Please don't ever take your ZJ back to that mechanic.

Sway bar links are a 20 minute job. Unless you have to grind off the torx bolts. :

I replaced the torx with regular hex head bolts so I'll never have to deal with it again.

Tie rod ends good? Sway bar bushings good? Drag link and track bar bushings and joint good? Ball joints good?

Jack the entire front end up (not using the axle tube so the suspension is hanging freely) and try to move all the joints around by wiggling stuff.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2012, 05:47 PM   #5
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Not sure where the $20 in parts is coming from and I'm seeing about $70 and that's through Amazon. That's for 2 Moog sway bar links (K3196 @ $30.35/each) which are similar to yours w/the nylon ball/socket on the top. They're also greaseable. Don't go cheap or you'll be sorry. Also a Moog sway bar bushing kit (K3171) is $9.52 for 2 rubber bushings. These parts are for your 97 4.0 ZJ.

Here's a link to the sway bar links and at the bottom you can see the bushing kit.

http://www.amazon.com/Moog-K3196-Swa...+sway+bar+link

The sway bar links are $44/each, and the bushing kit is $15, at Advance for total of $103. But if you order them online, and open a free account, you can use a discount code to knock the price down. Code RAF7A1102 would give you $35 off for total of $68. You'll need to check the code in the cart 1st to see if it's still current but worked not too long ago. You can pick them up at your local store if you find them in stock there.

Shame that Rockauto only has 1 of the Moog sway bar links left since it's only $13.84.

As already mentioned you best start hosing down all your bolts/nuts with PB now. You'll also have to buy a torx in a socket large enough to fit that bottom sway bar link bolt head. And best on planning on using some heat on the nut to get it off. Some just cut the bolt with a saws-all or grind the head off. Have also heard of drilling out where the torx hole is. Then replace with a regular hex bolt of 8 grade.

The bolts also have to be real rusted on those sway bar bushing housings too. Can't even see them in your photos and there on the body up kind of behind the bumper where they attach to the sway bar.

As others mentioned be sure and push your ZJ up/down to try and find out where the noise is coming from. Also look at the top of the shocks to make sure those rubber bushings aren't shot. Good luck!

PS. If you're going to have items shipped you best hurry unless you want your parts as a Christmas present! LOL.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2012, 05:58 PM   #6
bigbad2000xj

The sway bar links you where looking at where probably the links for a Cherokee not grand Cherokee just changed the links on my Cherokee and they where around 20 a peace
bigbad2000xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2012, 07:00 PM   #7
Montaska
Mountains & Beer

2007 JK Wrangler 

Welcome to Jeep Forum

Do it yourself. I was a little hesitant to do mine, but once I got under there I realized how easy it was. I just went ahead and ordered entirely new swaybar end links: http://www.quadratec.com/products/56004_0018.htm

I got the Moog swaybar bushings from the local autoparts store, and borrowed their pitman arm puller for the end links.

Yours look exactly like mine did before I replaced them:

Honestly, all your bushings are probably shot and need replaced. How are your shocks?
Montaska is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2012, 07:03 PM   #8
purplejeep97
1997 ZJ 

I read the item description of the part wrong.. I thought it included 2 links with bushings, but it was 1 each. My bad... I went up to autozone, was going to order the parts. Luckily, the older dude working there could tell I was a little confused and went and looked at it, and said my links and bushings are fine. So I said screw it, I'll just wait until Friday and have my normal mechanic have a look. When I took it to the scam artist mechanic, the jeep wasn't making the noise then, it was warm, and it only makes the creaking and popping sounds when it's less than 45 degrees or so outside. It just never seems to do it when it's warm out.
Unread 11-20-2012, 07:12 PM   #9
purplejeep97
1997 ZJ 

Hey Montaska, quick question, when I was at Autozone, the guy working there told me to look at the part, and the part he said was the sway bar link was a straight bar, but on your link and several other links I've seen, it has that curve to it. Even on the AZ website when I type in sway bar link, it shows parts that are straight. But Oreilly's and other stores look like the one you just showed me. like this one: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=705337_0_0_

are they the same thing??

the guy at autozone also told me I was wanting a sway bar repair kit, for $25.
Oreilly told me, and showed me the part in the box (similar to the one you showed me) and said it would be a total of 57.60 for 2 links and 2 bushings.

I really want to tackle this repair myself, but can't afford to replace stuff right now that isn't gonna solve the problem i'm having. I will be waiting until friday after my regular mechanic looks at it though.
Unread 11-20-2012, 07:23 PM   #10
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplejeep97
Hey Montaska, quick question, when I was at Autozone, the guy working there told me to look at the part, and the part he said was the sway bar link was a straight bar, but on your link and several other links I've seen, it has that curve to it. Even on the AZ website when I type in sway bar link, it shows parts that are straight. But Oreilly's and other stores look like the one you just showed me. like this one: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=705337_0_0_

are they the same thing??

the guy at autozone also told me I was wanting a sway bar repair kit, for $25.
Oreilly told me, and showed me the part in the box (similar to the one you showed me) and said it would be a total of 57.60 for 2 links and 2 bushings.

I really want to tackle this repair myself, but can't afford to replace stuff right now that isn't gonna solve the problem i'm having. I will be waiting until friday after my regular mechanic looks at it though.
96 up use the curved pos link
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2012, 11:52 AM   #11
Montaska
Mountains & Beer

2007 JK Wrangler 

Yeah, get the curved one. I was sold the straight saying it would work, and then after fighting it and scratching my head about why it wouldn't bolt up, I discovered I needed the curved one that has the bushing fitted on.
Montaska is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.