Sway bar end link not lining up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Sway bar end link not lining up

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3

Unread 06-17-2013, 03:12 PM   #1
alphazulu29
1996 ZJ 

Sway bar end link not lining up

So my driver side sway bar end link has been disconnected at the top ball joint but I replaced it last week. Yesterday I noticed it had disconnected from the bottom. I think it's because it wasn't flush against the bushing? Anyway, this is what it looks like now facing the front of the jeep (tire on right). It seems there's too much room between the bottom of the link and where it bolts onto.

I have to replace the bushings, I'm wondering if changing those will help it line back up? Is the bar just shifted over a bit?
Thanks!

img_2013061734516.jpg  
Unread 06-17-2013, 04:03 PM   #2
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Jack up the axle until it lines up and put the bolt in. The ball joint part swivels, it's hard to move when it's brand new but it will with some doing.

Or am I reading your post wrong?
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 04:48 PM   #3
Marcos
1993 ZJ 

What does the other side look like?
Marcos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 05:29 PM   #4
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i'm with jason on this one. My quicker disocs aren't perfectly up and down, the balls in the joints rotate a little to match up.
Unread 06-17-2013, 09:38 PM   #5
Roskoe
1998 ZJ 

Get tough with it , Use a jack or a hammer or hands

I hate when old people poke me at weddings, point and whisper, "You're next." So I've started doing the same thing to them at funerals
Roskoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 09:41 PM   #6
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonStebbins View Post
Jack up the axle until it lines up and put the bolt in. The ball joint part swivels, it's hard to move when it's brand new but it will with some doing.

Or am I reading your post wrong?
This ^

It'll go if you line it up by jacking the axle up. If not, get rough like Roskoe said. Mine did the same thing to me
Unread 06-18-2013, 08:58 AM   #7
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Try pulling one tire up on a curb.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 09:44 AM   #8
alphazulu29
1996 ZJ 

Thanks for the replies!

Okay so that original photo was taken while the Jeep was on the lift at the shop getting new tires. However, now that the Jeep is on the ground, the link seems to line up much better...there's still this small gap that doesn't allow for the end link to match up perfectly with the hole coming off the axle (red circle) but I think it should be ok if I just jack up the axle like some of you have stated. When I was installing it last week I noticed it didn't want to sit perfectly flush, maybe that's why it became unseated?

Now I just need to find another bushing, the inner sleeve and hardware. I've seen some people saying they replaced the bolt with a high grade one (size: 1/2"?) that isn't a torx head.

Here are the two sides now:
Drivers

Passenger
Unread 06-18-2013, 09:48 AM   #9
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

It doesn't matter that its off like that. Its not going to be perfect.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 12:33 PM   #10
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphazulu29 View Post
Okay so that original photo was taken while the Jeep was on the lift at the shop getting new tires. However, now that the Jeep is on the ground, the link seems to line up much better...
There's a thing called trackbar on your Jeep When the front axle is drooping (ie. Jeep is on a lift supported at the frame rails) trackbar pulls the axle sideways towards driver's side. When the suspension compresses, the axle is shifted towards passenger side. This is what caused your swaybar endlink to not line up when the Jeep was on the lift. Nothing to worry about, it's 100% normal.

One thing that can also happen if you only have one endlink disconnected is the swaybar could move left or right inside the frame bushings when the suspension cycles up and down. If that happens, loosen the swaybar bushing supports a bit, re-center the swaybar and tighten up swaybar mounting bolts.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 01:57 PM   #11
alphazulu29
1996 ZJ 

Ah okay, that makes sense. I was going to replace my bushings anyway. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.