Swapping tranny's in a 95 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Swapping tranny's in a 95

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 10-04-2009, 03:37 AM   #1
deancass2000

Swapping tranny's in a 95

All, I'll try to make this short and sweet.....

I have 95 GC 4.0 manufactured date of 6/95 with fulltime 4wd 249 t-case, bad tranny. Stamp on bellhosing says "290-4"

I have a donor tranny from 95 GC 4.0 with manufactured date of 01/95 with a 242 t-case. Stamp on bellhousing says "290-1"

The only visible difference are the fittings on the tranny itself for the tranny fluid lines. I can swap those though.

Here is my question.......when I first looked up a tranny on car-part.com it said they were different for a 95. Showing tranny's up through 01/13/95 and then 01/14/95 and greater for the other one. Does this really matter? Are the tranny's the same electronically and maybe my difference is just the fittings? Also, I've read where I should have no problem swapping the tranny that had the 242 on it into my tranny with the 249, but if I went the other way I would have to swap input shafts.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.......

Thanks, Dean

deancass2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2009, 07:01 AM   #2
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

the 249 case came with a long input for the 46rh and a medium input for the 42re. 242's in zjs came pretty much only with the medium input.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2009, 08:56 AM   #3
deancass2000

Anyone else have any input on the electronics of the transmissions? I'd like to gather as much information first before installing the new tranny.
deancass2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.