Swapping in a 231 into a WJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Swapping in a 231 into a WJ

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 04-14-2009, 09:57 PM   #1
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

Swapping in a 231 into a WJ

So what vehicle does it need to from? I know it can be done but don't know what vehicle to get it from. Could someone enlighten me?

WJ, WK, CJ5

Colorado Jeep Club Member #188
GraKee99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2009, 10:46 PM   #2
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

I'm curious as well...I'd assume a late model TJ or XJ. Whats the spline count on the TC input 23?

Click this -->Think you can beat me?
StrokedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2009, 01:40 AM   #3
redlaxin18
1999 WJ 

I'm not 100% positive if I'm gonna remember all this correctly since its been a while since I did all the research for the 247-->231 swap. I'm pretty sure it has to be a 95+ model because of the gear cut or something like that. I'm also pretty sure it needs to be from a 6 cylinder power plant because of the spline count if I remember correctly. Both the 247 and the 231 have 23 spline inputs however the 231s standard input shaft is to short for the 545RFE tranny. So once you pull the 247 you have to tear it and the 231 apart and swap the 247s input into the 231 case (its a direct swap). You'll also need to fabricate a new linkage setup because the 247s shifter linkage won't go through the entire gear range on the 231. There might be a way to do the swap without doin an SYE of some sort but I don't really see why you would. I think someone told me there's a way to modify the WJ rear drive shaft to work with the 231 but I went a head and had a multiple double cardan shaft made. I prolly left something important out so feel free to ask me any questions and I'm gonna try to find the links the helped me through the swap.

99 V8 WJ ---> NP231 w/sye, 4.5" (KOR Lift) , 285/75/R16 Maxxis Bighorns, Front & Rear Woody Shafts, Kolak exhaust w/FM50, K&N FIPK, CB, KOR Rack w/Daylighters, Aussie Locked D44a

Future Mods: Sliders, Homebrew Long-Arm, Front Aussie Locker, Homebrew Bumper with Winch
redlaxin18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2009, 07:37 AM   #4
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

Ya the 247 and the 231 are 23 spline inputs so they are a direct swap and there is an SYE kit you can get with for the 231 that will work with the WJ. The shift tab for the 231 must be modified a bit though. I figured it had to be a late model TJ or XJ, just seeing if anyone knew for sure.

WJ, WK, CJ5

Colorado Jeep Club Member #188
GraKee99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.