Swap offset rear d60 into WJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Swap offset rear d60 into WJ?

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 10-15-2007, 09:03 PM   #1
wheelNC93

Swap offset rear d60 into WJ?

I've been looking for a d60 to swap into the back of a wj. There is a d60 out of a j-20 and the diff has a 6in. offset. Will this be ok in the back of it as long as the ds is the right length, or should I just look for a different 60?
Thanks

Brandon

94 GC Laredo 5.2L -BDS 6.5" coils-TeraFlex upper and Lower Adj. Control arms F&R-TrXus 33x12.5x15 on 15x8 rockcrawlersz -TeraFlex Discos-JKS adj. trackbars-249<242 swap (in progress)-RRO t-case skid-off road warehouse sliders-Custom roofrack - 4 Hella 500's - herculined interior
wheelNC93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2007, 09:44 PM   #2
nierace
2003 WJ 

I'm not sure, but I think you're gonna have issues....

You're probably better off looking for a Ford 9" to throw out back, however with that you need to make modifications to the gas tank I believe in order for the pumpkin to clear.

Check out www.mallcrawlin.com
sira4x4.net North East Offroad Club
www.carolinadriveline.com
www.ironrockoffroad.com
kolak@aol.com
nierace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2007, 11:46 PM   #3
99grand4.0
1997 XJ Cherokee 

id go with something other than a 9", from hot rod experience nobody likes them because of the high heat they generate and how much power they rob, but just my 2 cents. id look for a dana.
99grand4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2007, 12:40 AM   #4
FortCollinsZJ
1993 ZJ 

what about 8.8's? they get hot? and as far as robbing power... wha? how?

1998 5.9 limited, DT headers, CAI, 3" exhaust.
FortCollinsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2007, 09:22 AM   #5
wheelNC93

I want something alittle bit stronger than a 8.8. There are 37s on it so I think i'm better off with a 60.
94 GC Laredo 5.2L -BDS 6.5" coils-TeraFlex upper and Lower Adj. Control arms F&R-TrXus 33x12.5x15 on 15x8 rockcrawlersz -TeraFlex Discos-JKS adj. trackbars-249<242 swap (in progress)-RRO t-case skid-off road warehouse sliders-Custom roofrack - 4 Hella 500's - herculined interior
Unread 10-16-2007, 09:40 AM   #6
EMTimZJ
GSMW!

1994 ZJ 

As far as drive shaft angles go, the 6 inch offset will not have any negative effects, our rear drive shafts are a mile long.

However, rear 60's are a dime a dozen, get one that will be easier to work with.

As far as the 9" comment, what? If they rob so much power, I guess you should clue NASCAR into this phenomenon and the many other performance organizations across the globe.

A 9" can be a fine choice for a center section to use, they have tons of aftermarket support, they are plenty strong, and have many axle spline and gear ratio options.

One thing to consider, if you are already on 37's, don't waste your time with 30 spline axles in the rear. You can get away with it in the front if you feel like swapping in a D44, but most who swap in D44's wish they went 60 or hybrid custom soon after.

Project TORTOISE Build-up thread

JCR Rock Sliders Ford Taurus E-fan Install Dana 20 Twin Stick
EMTimZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2007, 01:11 PM   #7
wheelNC93

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTimZJ
As far as drive shaft angles go, the 6 inch offset will not have any negative effects, our rear drive shafts are a mile long.

However, rear 60's are a dime a dozen, get one that will be easier to work with.

As far as the 9" comment, what? If they rob so much power, I guess you should clue NASCAR into this phenomenon and the many other performance organizations across the globe.

A 9" can be a fine choice for a center section to use, they have tons of aftermarket support, they are plenty strong, and have many axle spline and gear ratio options.

One thing to consider, if you are already on 37's, don't waste your time with 30 spline axles in the rear. You can get away with it in the front if you feel like swapping in a D44, but most who swap in D44's wish they went 60 or hybrid custom soon after.
So your saying for the front I could get away with a 44 but will eventually want a 60? But in the rear just try and go with a 35 spline, forget the offset 60.
Unread 10-16-2007, 01:19 PM   #8
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

not to meantions WJ's get there speedo reading from the rear axle...
Unread 10-16-2007, 01:24 PM   #9
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1984 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTimZJ

Or maybe he could call Currie Enterprises and get their input on the matter...

Need a server? Buy this one!

COTM - October 2012!

If you want to help the sport of offroading visit the EnviroBeat Forum!

Blue Ribbon Coalition | Idaho State 4x4 Association | UFWDA | NAXJA | The KAT Team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Oh man Chili. I feel like a recovering addict that just had a bag of blow, a bottle of Jameson, and a sack dropped in his lap. You screwed me man!
ChiliPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2007, 03:34 PM   #10
wheelNC93

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineWasHere
Not to worried about the speedo as it will be a trail rig only.
Unread 10-16-2007, 03:34 PM   #11
MuddyLuxury
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineWasHere
you sure about that?

the tru speed attachs to the trans
IRO 6.5 Long Arms
Aussie Locked Rear

in the works... lots deployments are great for jeep budgets

Go Doorless!

Things i need..
good spots in the mid atlantic to camp, hike, fish, kyak and wheel, if you know please share

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.9 ANDY
i would do the rear.
MuddyLuxury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2007, 03:38 PM   #12
wheelNC93

You can also change it so you get your speedo to work off of the t-case, from my understanding, if you really wanted to have it.
Unread 10-16-2007, 03:47 PM   #13
MuddyLuxury
1999 WJ 

wait, is this D60 for a WJ or for the ZJ in ur sig?
IRO 6.5 Long Arms
Aussie Locked Rear

in the works... lots deployments are great for jeep budgets

Go Doorless!

Things i need..
good spots in the mid atlantic to camp, hike, fish, kyak and wheel, if you know please share

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.9 ANDY
i would do the rear.
MuddyLuxury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2007, 04:05 PM   #14
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyLuxury
you sure about that?

the tru speed attachs to the trans
STOP SAYING THAT!!!

It is at the rear axel in WJ's... ask people over a MC that have done rear axle swaps...
Unread 10-16-2007, 05:32 PM   #15
Sporer65
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyLuxury
wait, is this D60 for a WJ or for the ZJ in ur sig?
Didn't you read the title?

Or the first post?

1993 Jeep Grand Wagoneer ZJ V8: Rear Aussie, 3.5" Lift, 31" M/Ts

GA Trail Riders
Sporer65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.