Swap 42RE with a AX15?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Swap 42RE with a AX15??

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 12-29-2012, 10:06 AM   #1
kb9mfd
1995 ZJ 

Swap 42RE with a AX15??

My '95 ZJ looks like the transmission may need to be replaced soon. I was just wondering if it is possible, and if so what am I looking at to do it, to switch out the 42RE automatic with a manual transmission (AX15). And I believe I have a NP231 transfer case. I prefer manuals and would rather take the auto out and put the manual in, but I have not done that involved before and the clutch will also have to be added, and whatever modifications would be needed for the shift stick. I was also wondering if it would be worth it. If not I will have to look into getting a rebuild 42RE at some point. Has anyone done that before? Thanks! - Jeremy

kb9mfd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

I'd be doing the same , swap in a 5 spd . You would think you need a PCM , BCM and/or TCM from a 93-94 . That's the big obstacle . I'm not sure what the system would do if you just swapped in the gearbox , might be just a CEL . That's fixed easy enough , yank it out , lol .

The slave cyl just mounts on the gearbox , so all you would need is to mount the reservoir which is simple .

Ideally , you found a ZJ manual donor , the pedals would be a bonus . Pretty sure you could make something from a XJ work with some modifications .

You may or may not need a crossmember . If you need any measurements off an AX-15 to compare , let me know . I have one out of 94 ZJ in my garage

There's probably a patch panel in the floor for manual transmissions . Remove ot or just cut a hole . Toploader gearboxes don't need much
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2012, 09:42 AM   #3
kb9mfd
1995 ZJ 

Thanks for the reply. I seem to be in the habit of posting messages before googleing After a little searching it looks like it is very possible. From what I read you do not need to replace the computer but will need the crankshaft position sensor replaced. Also the drive shafts will need to be adjusted by 3". Everyone showed you would have to punch in hole. I guess the pedals on a XJ will fit the stock brackets if you cannot find a ZJ. I found a post that did this -

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/a...mplete-229778/

He has the prices listed so I guess if you can find the parts, it is a lot cheaper that replacing the automatic. We have a lot of auto salvage places around here so I was going to call around and see what I can find. Thanks! - Jeremy
Unread 12-30-2012, 10:11 AM   #4
rcMikeS1990
1994 ZJ 

Ratmankey, one of the mods here, has the complete write up in his sig. Find a thread where he posted, not too hard, and read his sig.
Unread 12-31-2012, 02:06 AM   #5
avengerdude27
1994 ZJ 

which engine? 4.0 iis fairly easy
avengerdude27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2012, 03:38 AM   #6
dean477
1998 ZJ 

I have a feeling the answer is no, but is this switch possible on 98 or only the earlier models?
dean477 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2012, 06:26 AM   #7
98zjkidd
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean477
I have a feeling the answer is no, but is this switch possible on 98 or only the earlier models?
I just did mine on a 98 only that happened is I get a check engine light bc of the speed sensor, altho it does go off everytime I shut it off till I go over the speed that the auto would of shifted at

Looking at switchin in a 98 xj ecu in the next month or two when I find on
98zjkidd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2012, 09:49 AM   #8
blackzj
1998 ZJ 

Its not easy it's a lot of work and a lot of money find a donor xj and use all the parts and you have to do some fabrication to the pedal brackets, I'd look for a pre 94 xj yes everyone says do post 94 but for a slave cylinder it's like a $300 savings and plus there's more pre 94 Cherokees out there
blackzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2012, 10:16 AM   #9
avengerdude27
1994 ZJ 

on an earlier model its not that much work comparing to rebuilding a trans.

youll need some patience though

flywheel dust cover
flywheel
flywheel bolts
correct crank position sensor
clutch kit
zj clutch master cylinder is definitely easier, i used the xj one
pedals, good luck finding them from a zj, i made mine from the factory bracket and the xj bracket with xj pedals
xj shifter works pretty well, i bent mine a lil to put it where i wanted it
tj inner shift boot works well
transmission preferrably with external slave, youll have a plumbing mess with the zj master if you try internal
transfer case of your choice
28.5" front driveshaft
36" rear driveshaft, which i have a nice beefy extra if anyones looking to do the swap
93-95 you can buy the oem trans mount from a local parts store, newer youll have to find the older crossmember or fab one, if youll be wheeling much i suggest just building one along with installing some hd motor mounts
cut a hole where your shifter used to be
transfercase linkage will need modified cut and lenghten/ shorted as necessary i cant remember which because i put a novak shifter in mine, i may have the heim joint rod i used originally
wiring with obd1 (93-95) is easy kill power to trans ecm, ground for neutral/ clutch safety switch to ecm and reverse lights
finish the interior to your liking
Unread 12-31-2012, 10:18 AM   #10
avengerdude27
1994 ZJ 

Unread 12-31-2012, 04:23 PM   #11
Purcell69
1993 ZJ 

The original AX-15 ZJ had the slave cylinder mounted outside on the bellhousing, so any XJ with the external slave cylinder will work. I have a 1993 XJ with the factory AX-15 and NP231.

-Joe
Purcell69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2012, 06:28 PM   #12
kb9mfd
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by avengerdude27 View Post
which engine? 4.0 iis fairly easy
Yep, it's a 4.0

Tags
42re , transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.