Swamper TSL Radials VS Cooper STT's. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Swamper TSL Radials VS Cooper STT's.

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!

Unread 01-04-2015, 08:13 PM   #1
evan1395
1996 ZJ 

Swamper TSL Radials VS Cooper STT's.

As the title implies, I'm wondering which one of the two everybody would suggest. My ZJ is mainly a daily driver, however I do take it off road about 2 or 3 times a month. I enjoy my road trips with my daughter and girlfriend.
How are the road manners between the 2?

Unread 01-04-2015, 08:45 PM   #2
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

The swampers are extremely good offroad tires, but I wouldn't daily them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2015, 01:53 AM   #3
evan1395
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
The swampers are extremely good offroad tires, but I wouldn't daily them.
Thats kind of what I figured. I love the look and they way they perform in the snow. But with the amount of pavement driving I do, they may not be a wise choice.
As for the STT's, I found a set of 4 online, shipped to my door for just under $800. Ive read countless, GREAT reviews on this tire.. and the tread design is eye candy. Somehow Treadrights were brought to my attention, and the duration/performance reviews on them were surpringly as good as the STT's.

Any thoughts?
Unread 01-05-2015, 04:00 AM   #4
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan1395 View Post

Thats kind of what I figured. I love the look and they way they perform in the snow. But with the amount of pavement driving I do, they may not be a wise choice.
As for the STT's, I found a set of 4 online, shipped to my door for just under $800. Ive read countless, GREAT reviews on this tire.. and the tread design is eye candy. Somehow Treadrights were brought to my attention, and the duration/performance reviews on them were surpringly as good as the STT's.

Any thoughts?
What size? Guard dogs are great.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2015, 04:09 AM   #5
evan1395
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post

What size? Guard dogs are great.
I want to try 32's. I may need rear lower fixed arms. How are these tires when aired down?
Unread 01-05-2015, 04:43 AM   #6
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Just google search them. Plenty of info to go on.
Unread 01-05-2015, 09:12 AM   #7
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

If you're on stock arms you're going to need to clearance your front fenders a touch to stuff 32's. I was disappointed at how much I had to beat them to get rid of the rub. Non stock arms that push the axles out a touch are good.

Guard dogs are a good choice if they have a size that works for you.

Quote:
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
Unread 01-05-2015, 02:36 PM   #8
evan1395
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
If you're on stock arms you're going to need to clearance your front fenders a touch to stuff 32's. I was disappointed at how much I had to beat them to get rid of the rub. Non stock arms that push the axles out a touch are good.

Guard dogs are a good choice if they have a size that works for you.
Oddly enough, its the rear wheel well that looks like it may not take the 32's too nicely. The front I may just have to trim a little bit on the bumper.

The front clearance to the bumper is 4 finger width. I probably will have to trim a little. The rear part of the front well seems to have plenty enough clearance. Its the FRONT part of the rear well that I dont think will clear 32's. It was tight with a 3 finger width. So some slightly longer lower rear arms may be in order. Or some lower adjustables are more what im looking at.
Unread 01-05-2015, 02:38 PM   #9
evan1395
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Just google search them. Plenty of info to go on.
I did and the only info I found was that if you go down below 15psi, it voids the warranty of the tire. But that was from one person with nobody else to back that statement up or chime in with some input on airing them down.
Unread 01-05-2015, 03:48 PM   #10
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

I just did 32's on my pig, the front end was the hardest to deal with. With stock CA's the pinch seam is all up in the tires when turning. I took the BFH to the seam and still had to use the grinder to get a little extra out of the fenders. I was really hoping I would be able to burn through these tires and get 33's but thats not happening on stock arms.

The back wasn't as bad. I did a full rear fender trim since I would be doing one soon anyway but I wasn't really worried about them once I bolted them up.

Quote:
Unread 01-05-2015, 04:12 PM   #11
evan1395
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
I just did 32's on my pig, the front end was the hardest to deal with. With stock CA's the pinch seam is all up in the tires when turning. I took the BFH to the seam and still had to use the grinder to get a little extra out of the fenders. I was really hoping I would be able to burn through these tires and get 33's but thats not happening on stock arms.

The back wasn't as bad. I did a full rear fender trim since I would be doing one soon anyway but I wasn't really worried about them once I bolted them up.
So lower adjustables front and rear may be the best way to go, huh?
Unread 01-05-2015, 04:17 PM   #12
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:

I did and the only info I found was that if you go down below 15psi, it voids the warranty of the tire. But that was from one person with nobody else to back that statement up or chime in with some input on airing them down.
There are tons of reviews about the guard dogs. Airing down any tire voids the warranty.
Unread 01-05-2015, 04:25 PM   #13
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

I would try em first, I had them on for a few days before I did the trimming. Couldn't turn to the lock but everything else was fine stock.

How high are you lifted?

Quote:
Unread 01-05-2015, 04:37 PM   #14
evan1395
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
I would try em first, I had them on for a few days before I did the trimming. Couldn't turn to the lock but everything else was fine stock.

How high are you lifted?
The 3 5" Benchmark kit from IRO. I already have the rear upper adjustables so my piniom angle can get back to normal ( which I have yet to even go down to the drive line shop and get that done).
So it probably wouldnt be a terrible idea to get all adjustables. The only fixed arm that I saw that IRO makes, is for a 4"+ inch lift.
Unread 01-05-2015, 06:29 PM   #15
OldManTan
1998 ZJ 

Quote:

Any thoughts?
love my TW guard dogs.
3.5" lift and 265/75/16's here.
when these wear...will def order another set.
I had a problem with one of my tires they sent. It had some cracking where they molded the new tread to the old sidewall. I shot a pic and they mailed me a new tire no questions asked.
Luckily it still held air and was just kind of aesthetics... full size spare for this guy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.