suspension/ handling trouble - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > suspension/ handling trouble

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread 06-14-2013, 10:26 PM   #1
moldeck

suspension/ handling trouble

OK, here it is. Bought a 96 grand Cherokee lorado for my son. Turning 16 in July. The handling on it was terrible, had the front end parts looked at and nothing is new, but all looks good. 3 different shops. put in a new gear box and an alignment and the handling got a lot better. But it seems to still have some pull on uneven roads and sometimes it feels like some body roll when going down the road. Also seems like some of the body roll is in the back end. What could be wrong in the back?
That said, do I take it in and let someone put it to me and fix it or do I just start throwing money into it till its new again?

What would you suggest replacing to fix this. Shocks? springs? track bar? All front end parts look good Im told.

If its shocks you are going to suggest please point me in the right direction for type. Kolac (SP) I am sure will ship me what I need.

moldeck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 10:33 PM   #2
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Some Addco sway bars and bushings should help.
StPaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 10:34 PM   #3
djtricia
1998 ZJ 

Body roll

Did they check the track bar in the back? What kind of tires and pressure?
djtricia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 10:53 PM   #4
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

New control arms , or just bushings . Done them on every jeep I bought yet . Sway bar frame bushings really help too . Adcco makes a nice upgrade . I have used the rear and loved it .
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2013, 06:45 AM   #5
moldeck

I did not see them check the rear. I will check tire pressure.
Sway bar. would you suggest changing both front and back or one or the other?
Unread 06-16-2013, 11:02 AM   #6
moldeck

Does anyone suggest front or rear? I have play in one of the front ones. It is sliding on the lower point. thinking of trying just that one and see if it helps. I would be willing to do one of them with the upgraded Addco, but both at once is a little pricey.
Unread 06-16-2013, 11:26 AM   #7
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

After I put on new shocks and a front addco I still had considerable body roll. I replaced the control arm bushings and now it rides like new.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2013, 05:10 PM   #8
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Yeah if you've got play in your control arm bushings, then it's probably time to change the bushings or both. I just did my lower front control arms, and found its almost just as cheap to replace the whole arm w/bushings than just the bushings, and a whole lot easier.

You might also want to get new bolts for it, as I've seen a lot of guys strip or break their bolts trying to get them off, or just cutting them off. I myself broke two socket wrenches getting mine off, but didn't break the bolts.

The front lowers require two special cam bolts on the fore ends, and the backs require either OEM bolts from the dealer or grade 10.9 size M14x2.0x100 bolts you can get from Fastenal, and for those you'll have to get washers too.

If you chock the fronts and backs of your wheels or put a cinder block on your brake pedal you won't even have to jack it up as long as you replace the arms one at a time.
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2013, 05:14 PM   #9
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Oh yeah, and I ordered my new Moog arms from rock auto for about 30 bucks each, cam bolts were 20 for the set, reg bolts were about 6 each. Took a couple hours. The two socket wrenches I broke were craftsman so no cost for replacement. :-)

The shop wanted to charge me 700 dollars!
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 07:29 AM   #10
95_ZJ_Limited
1995 ZJ 

Shocks and springs. Probly soft saggy springs coupled with worn shocks as well as all that was said above.I would never expect to have a tight steering box because I've yet to meet anyone who without extensive upgrading has a ZJ with a tight steering box.
95_ZJ_Limited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 03:16 PM   #11
98ZJOKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by moldeck View Post
Also seems like some of the body roll is in the back end. What could be wrong in the back?
I'm very interested to find out if you ever get a good solution. The 5.9 I bought for my son has a lot of roll in it and it seemed like it was coming from the rear. I replaced the rear wheel bearings and the rear track bar and that made it considerably better. Unfortunately I did them at the same time, so I don't know which one of those accounted for the butt waggle.

No one would have bought one of these things off the showroom floor if they handled like this from the start. Right now, it's acceptable, but really would like to get it back to like new condition.

Hoping to hear more success stories from anyone replacing front control arms (or shocks or sway bar ends, whatever). It's a little freaky changing lanes sometimes if the lanes aren't perfectly even.
98ZJOKC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2013, 04:57 PM   #12
moldeck

sounds like we have the same ZJ. I found the front lower sway bar bolt was sliding up and down in the mount. Replaced it and it helped a little of the body roll and a lot of the steering pull. I want to do the upgrade rear sway bar and thinking control arms to help both problems. Gear box helped a bunch for sure, it was real bad before that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.