Superlift Truespeed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Superlift Truespeed

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 04-18-2006, 04:39 PM   #1
PlatinumZJ
Senior Moment Member

1997 ZJ 

Superlift Truespeed

Over the Easter weekend, instead of going to Moab, I installed a Superlift Truespeed to correct the speedometer, transmission shift points, and odometer due to ovrsize tires. While its true I only have 31's that are only a few % bigger than stock, I could really tell that the larger tires messed up the shift points. Installing the Truespeed fixed that problem.

First I remived the center consol: Snap loose the shifter plate that surrounds the shifter and dissconnect the light bulb on its bottom (1/4 twist and pull). Then remove the 4 phillips screws, then open the center storage box and remove the 2 phillips screws there. Gently lift the consol up from the rear and remove the light bulb for the transfer case lever (1/4 turn and pull). Lift the consol up and finangle the shifter plate through the hole and set the consol aside. You then have this.

the Airbag sensor is next to the parking brake handle here Don't mess with it

I then remove the plastic chair that the shift plate was screwed to it has four 8mm sheet metal screws I used a nut driver. I fed the green and yellow wire from my chosen installation point to the shifter area and drilled a 1/4 inch hole about 1-inch inboard to the head of the sheet metal screw head here.

I had already crawled underneath and found a location to drill the hole and feed the wire thru that wouldn't cause any problems. I wrapped the wires with electrical tape and put sealant on the hole after feeding them thru.

Underneath I found the speed sender on the transfer case (TC) - the white with orange stripe WT/OR.

and I put the yellow and green wires in a spiral sleeve for their own protection. Undo the tape and pull back the sleeve around the wires to the TC and seperate the WT/OR wire. One then cuts the WH/OR wire a couple of inches from the plug and connects the green wire to the plug side and the yellow wire to the harness side

After heat shrinking some tubing and wrapping with electrical tape and several zip ties to keep all the wire from dangling, put the consol back together. I then hooked the black wire to ground on the sheet metal in front of the passenger side floor and hooked the red power wire to the switched power at the 10 amp radio fuse in the fuse center in the passenger floor area (fuse 1) with the supplied connector.

After following the directions for programming the unit the Jeep shift much better.

Links: Kevin (AKA KOR) for ZJ & WJ stuff,
Kolak for performance stuff. I6 performance info at Dino's jeep 4.0 performance site
Other stuff: Kevin's Roof Rack. KOR sliders, Bored 62mm TB, Blaupunkt Bermuda w/ ipod, Brembo Slotted rotors,
OME steering stabilizer, H4 headlight upgrade...

Last edited by PlatinumZJ; 05-02-2009 at 10:56 AM..
PlatinumZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2006, 04:43 PM   #2
Nick ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Looks good. I wish I had some money to do that. How much did that cost you?

Quote:
This is the classic "Unstoppable Force" versus "Immoveable Object" debate. The result? Destruction of the Universe.
Quote:
last time i tried fording a river 2 of my oxen died and i got dysentary
Nick ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2006, 04:51 PM   #3
PlatinumZJ
Senior Moment Member

1997 ZJ 

I found the truespeed for about $187 delivered (new) and about 3-hrs install time.

http://www.4wheelerssupply.com/catal...FTaWJAodvnnUCw
Kolak for performance stuff. I6 performance info at Dino's jeep 4.0 performance site
Other stuff: Kevin's Roof Rack. KOR sliders, Bored 62mm TB, Blaupunkt Bermuda w/ ipod, Brembo Slotted rotors,
Unread 04-18-2006, 05:15 PM   #4
J's02Overland

Nice write up!!! Good idea too. I will have to consider that when I finally get to get bigger!!
[SIZE="1"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"][B]2003 Maxima GLE (Haul a$$ car)[/B][/COLOR] Fully Loaded[/FONT][/SIZE]
J's02Overland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2006, 05:56 PM   #5
dpierson

Something about this post seems sticky...

Hunter? Woody? Bueller?

Nice little write up!

Traded 8/9/07

[SIZE=1]Black 94 ZJ Laredo 4.0L 42RE/NP231 Command Trac
Sylvania Silverstars, Alpine CD Head Unit, Pioneer 3-Ways in the Doors, Blacked Out Grill, Kolak Exhaust, Clear Corners, Bilstein Shocks, Gas Tank Skid, Rear Hitch, Hitch Wiring, TC Skid, Hellwig RSB, Military FSB, Brembo Front Rotors, OME SS, B&M Supercooler, RE Tie Rod, Limited Power Leather Seats, 30x9.5 Toyo Open Country ATs, Optima Red Top

Next Mods: Upgrade Battery Cables, Sliders, Black Steelies, 3" Lift, Rear Locker, Bumper, HO Alternator, Winch, Driving Lights[/SIZE]
dpierson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2006, 06:35 PM   #6
SteelBlue_WJ
Web Wheeler

I figured out that most MPG estimates are throw off from speedo inconsistancies

2001 Steel Blue WJ Laredo SA 4x4, 3.5" lift, Apperance Package with factory Laredo Steel Blue cladding/leather
Conferr Roof Basket with custom Randy Ellis Design light cage, WAAG grille guard and Hella lots of 500 lights

2004 Wrangler Sport, 2.5" and 31's, nothing special

"For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, 'It might have been.' "
John Greenleaf Whittier
SteelBlue_WJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2006, 06:42 PM   #7
dpierson

Related question that I don't know the answer to:

Would a new speedo gear not accomplish the same thing? Or does that occur only on certain years of the ZJ?

Traded 8/9/07

[SIZE=1]Black 94 ZJ Laredo 4.0L 42RE/NP231 Command Trac
Sylvania Silverstars, Alpine CD Head Unit, Pioneer 3-Ways in the Doors, Blacked Out Grill, Kolak Exhaust, Clear Corners, Bilstein Shocks, Gas Tank Skid, Rear Hitch, Hitch Wiring, TC Skid, Hellwig RSB, Military FSB, Brembo Front Rotors, OME SS, B&M Supercooler, RE Tie Rod, Limited Power Leather Seats, 30x9.5 Toyo Open Country ATs, Optima Red Top

Next Mods: Upgrade Battery Cables, Sliders, Black Steelies, 3" Lift, Rear Locker, Bumper, HO Alternator, Winch, Driving Lights[/SIZE]
dpierson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2006, 06:45 PM   #8
anticrombie
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpierson
Related question that I don't know the answer to:

Would a new speedo gear not accomplish the same thing? Or does that occur only on certain years of the ZJ?

That's what I wanna know. They're really cheap at the dealership, and you can get one for the exact setup you have.
anticrombie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2006, 07:39 PM   #9
Reswob
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anticrombie
That's what I wanna know. They're really cheap at the dealership, and you can get one for the exact setup you have.
I don't think that would correct the shift points though, just the speedo and odometer?

#27. Shirts get dirty. Underwear gets dirty. Pants? Pants never get dirty, and you can wear them forever.
Reswob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2006, 07:44 PM   #10
anticrombie
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reswob
I don't think that would correct the shift points though, just the speedo and odometer?

But the speedo gear is what calibrates the shift points. What do you think this box that goes in between the computer and the speedo gear does?
anticrombie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2006, 10:14 PM   #11
PlatinumZJ
Senior Moment Member

1997 ZJ 

True, a new speedo gear would accomplish the same thing. If I could figure out which one to get.

The "31s" i have arn't exactly 31 the published size is about 30.4 but what does it actually measure. The OEM tires are 225/70 R16, which calculates to 28.4 but what is it actually? So far, I've measured tires (but its hard to figure out what the actual diameter is - I haven't been able to measure the diameter twice and get the same answer) and programmed the truspeed.

The first try was off by about 2.5 mph when compared to GPS speed on a straight level road over about a mile (actual speed slower than dash reading). Reprogramming the truspeed takes about two minutes. After reprogramming again, I'm off by 1.5 mph - I should be able to zero in on the next try.

At least it shifts better.
Unread 04-18-2006, 10:21 PM   #12
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

I took care of it.

It is in the Faqs.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2006, 05:17 AM   #13
JamesEric

I have 31's on my '94 ZJ and the speedo is off by 3mph at highway speeds compared to my GPS with the the speedo gear for 31's installed. TruSpeed seems like a better way to go. Great write-up.
JamesEric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2006, 10:34 AM   #14
Colorado 5.9
1998 ZJ 

First of all It's a great writeup!!!!! If I had a WJ I would be all over it.

Now for being negative. I can't see doing this on a ZJ. A big waist of money IMO. $12 V's $189. There are plenty of speedo gear calculators on the internet that work just fine. I've alway used the one on JU & never had any problems. My shift points have never been a problem either. If you want to adjust the shift point just adjust the kick down cable.

http://www.jcj.net/dodgeram/trans_adjustment.htm
ZJ 98 5.9 LTD. Lots of mods. 7" T&T's Long Arm Lift ,BFG KM2"s,35X12.50x16's,4:56's, Vanco brake upgrade, M1intake,Holley52mmTB,MikeLeach Headers,, Arb'ed HP D30,Aussie Locked rear,Procomp MX6 Shocks,Arb front,RearTR bumpers,ECT.ECT.

Latest Pics
Colorado 5.9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2006, 11:35 PM   #15
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

very nice writeup I beleive this mod will get you more precise shifts versus the speedo with your setup.
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.