sunroof anyone? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > sunroof anyone?

Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 06-10-2013, 11:55 AM   #1
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

sunroof anyone?

I did a search but no results were for modding in your own sunroof. Has anybody done this? I know I've seen writeups in other forums on it and I see that my model has two different overhead consoles depending on whether there is a sunroof or not in the FSM. I'm putting this on my list of mods to do though.

Unread 06-10-2013, 12:02 PM   #2
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Be careful. Putting in an aftermarket sunroof usually leads to a leaky roof. Also you take away a lot of the structural support built into the roof. The ZJ's that came with sun roofs have structural support built into it so they did not simply just cut a hole in the roof and plop the glass in.

IMO it's just something else that can go wrong. I rarely have mine open because it's noisy. I am also worried about it becoming stuck in the open position or leaking eventually. If I could choose I would have taken one without.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 04:59 PM   #3
mig1289
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Be careful. Putting in an aftermarket sunroof usually leads to a leaky roof. Also you take away a lot of the structural support built into the roof. The ZJ's that came with sun roofs have structural support built into it so they did not simply just cut a hole in the roof and plop the glass in.

IMO it's just something else that can go wrong. I rarely have mine open because it's noisy. I am also worried about it becoming stuck in the open position or leaking eventually. If I could choose I would have taken one without.
I heard that the aftermarket sun roofs leak as well
Unread 06-10-2013, 06:00 PM   #4
Maine1994ZJ
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyhouse View Post
I did a search but no results were for modding in your own sunroof. Has anybody done this? I know I've seen writeups in other forums on it and I see that my model has two different overhead consoles depending on whether there is a sunroof or not in the FSM. I'm putting this on my list of mods to do though.
I'm getting ready to do this to mine this summer. I went to the JY and got a factory sunroof assembly & wiring complete with the roof sheetmetal and internal structure as well.
To get mine I used a cordless sawzall, 2 18tpi blades, 2 batteries, and half of a third battery.
Obviously you will need a sunroof of your own, from a pick it yourself JY, and take EVERYTHING associated with it. I paid $30 for mine.

Obviously, remove your headliner first.
Remove the sunroof assy from the roof assy.
Line up the sunroof panel's reinforcing cross members with the ones in your ZJ from the inside. Trace around panel on underside of roof.

Drill hole big enough for jigsaw/sawzall blade and cut INSIDE the line by at least a blade thickness when removing solid roof panel.
If you cut the hole too big, it's gonna suck trying to MIG weld the sunroof panel in and fill the voids from an overly large hole, but it's easy to trim the hole more if it's too small.

Your MIG welding skills had better be up to par for this task, as well as planning out a way to catch any hot weld spatter inside to prevent a fire.
I plan on using some 20ga sheet steel to make a giant funnel to catch it with.

Start by carefully cutting the sealer that bonds the roof panel to the cross members/sunroof support structure. Remove the roof panel.

Align the cross members/sunroof supports with your ZJ's existing cross members and MIG weld them thoroughly.

Then set your sunroof panel in the hole and align it with the roof and MIG weld away, being sure to completely seal the roof panel with weld.

Then put urethane between the roof and the cross members like was done from the factory, this keeps the roof panel from vibrating/rattling as well as helping make a structural bond between the x-members & roof panel.

After your welding is complete, run your wiring along the same path it was run in it's donor ZJ and connect.

You will need to make provisions for the drains at each corner of the sunroof pan.

When the urethane has cured(24hr) grind excess welds, flap wheel, skim-coat of bondo to fill any imperfections around the welds, prime, wet sand, let dry, tack rag entire area and then paint.

P.S. I will photograph & do a write up on it when I get it done.
image-13-.jpg   image-17-.jpg   image-20-.jpg  

Last edited by Maine1994ZJ; 06-10-2013 at 06:17 PM.. Reason: added another pic & P.S.
Maine1994ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 07:24 PM   #5
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

that looks like a major PITA IMO
Unread 06-10-2013, 09:31 PM   #6
Maine1994ZJ
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuccio View Post
that looks like a major PITA IMO
It's definitely a lot of work, but I enjoy a challenge and I really enjoy cutting, welding, and grinding so I, personally, wouldn't call it a PITA.

Though I do have way more important projects on my plate at this time....
Unread 06-10-2013, 09:37 PM   #7
just_urd
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower

What he said.
just_urd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 09:45 PM   #8
Maine1994ZJ
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Why would you worry about it not working? You use your power windows without a second thought, don't you?
Under the button in the roof behind the sunroof is a drive slot to manually move the roof in case of power failure and there is a blue packet labeled "Hollandia Sunroofs" in your owner's manual that has a handle just for this purpose.
A luxury NOT designed into power windows.

As for leaks, water may get through the seal around the glass, but unless the drains are clogged the drains will evacuate a full stream from a garden hose. I've checked it!

Your factory sunroof is absolutely nothing to fear, unless there is a flock of seagulls flying overhead.....
Unread 06-10-2013, 09:53 PM   #9
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine1994ZJ View Post
Why would you worry about it not working? You use your power windows without a second thought, don't you?
Under the button in the roof behind the sunroof is a drive slot to manually move the roof in case of power failure and there is a blue packet labeled "Hollandia Sunroofs" in your owner's manual that has a handle just for this purpose.
A luxury NOT designed into power windows.

As for leaks, water may get through the seal around the glass, but unless the drains are clogged the drains will evacuate a full stream from a garden hose. I've checked it!

Your factory sunroof is absolutely nothing to fear, unless there is a flock of seagulls flying overhead.....
I have already had to re wire and replace motors in the windows as well as the window control module. The drivers door lock as well. In short, I don't care about the sun roof and would rather not have it given Chryslers track record for electrical gremlins. The day I stop worrying about it is the day it will screw up.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 07:59 AM   #10
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine1994ZJ View Post

I'm getting ready to do this to mine this summer. I went to the JY and got a factory sunroof assembly & wiring complete with the roof sheetmetal and internal structure as well.
To get mine I used a cordless sawzall, 2 18tpi blades, 2 batteries, and half of a third battery.
Obviously you will need a sunroof of your own, from a pick it yourself JY, and take EVERYTHING associated with it. I paid $30 for mine.

Obviously, remove your headliner first.
Remove the sunroof assy from the roof assy.
Line up the sunroof panel's reinforcing cross members with the ones in your ZJ from the inside. Trace around panel on underside of roof.

Drill hole big enough for jigsaw/sawzall blade and cut INSIDE the line by at least a blade thickness when removing solid roof panel.
If you cut the hole too big, it's gonna suck trying to MIG weld the sunroof panel in and fill the voids from an overly large hole, but it's easy to trim the hole more if it's too small.

Your MIG welding skills had better be up to par for this task, as well as planning out a way to catch any hot weld spatter inside to prevent a fire.
I plan on using some 20ga sheet steel to make a giant funnel to catch it with.

Start by carefully cutting the sealer that bonds the roof panel to the cross members/sunroof support structure. Remove the roof panel.

Align the cross members/sunroof supports with your ZJ's existing cross members and MIG weld them thoroughly.

Then set your sunroof panel in the hole and align it with the roof and MIG weld away, being sure to completely seal the roof panel with weld.

Then put urethane between the roof and the cross members like was done from the factory, this keeps the roof panel from vibrating/rattling as well as helping make a structural bond between the x-members & roof panel.

After your welding is complete, run your wiring along the same path it was run in it's donor ZJ and connect.

You will need to make provisions for the drains at each corner of the sunroof pan.

When the urethane has cured(24hr) grind excess welds, flap wheel, skim-coat of bondo to fill any imperfections around the welds, prime, wet sand, let dry, tack rag entire area and then paint.

P.S. I will photograph & do a write up on it when I get it done.
Wow, very cool. I'd love to see the write-up. I think mods like these are the coolest things about jeep owners!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.