Summit Racing cat-back vs Kolak cat-back exhaust? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Summit Racing cat-back vs Kolak cat-back exhaust?

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 11-09-2009, 10:26 PM   #1
chromedisguise
1998 ZJ 

Summit Racing cat-back vs Kolak cat-back exhaust?

Hey guys... wanted to get everyone's thoughts on this.

Summit Racing sells a cat-back setup for our Jeeps for less than $150.

Summit Racing SUM-640000 - Summit Racing® Cat-Back Exhaust Systems - Overview - SummitRacing.com

It looks decent:

I know it doesn't come with a hi-flow cat, but you can get one from Summit Racing for about $90: MagnaFlow 99006HM - MagnaFlow Heavy Metal Catalytic Converters - Overview - SummitRacing.com

So all in all, that totals less than $240 for a cat-back setup with a hi-flow cat.

What makes Kolak's kit better? What makes his worth $400+? Or was it $300?

Unread 11-09-2009, 10:29 PM   #2
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromedisguise View Post
Hey guys... wanted to get everyone's thoughts on this.

Summit Racing sells a cat-back setup for our Jeeps for less than $150.

Summit Racing SUM-640000 - Summit Racing® Cat-Back Exhaust Systems - Overview - SummitRacing.com

It looks decent:

I know it doesn't come with a hi-flow cat, but you can get one from Summit Racing for about $90: MagnaFlow 99006HM - MagnaFlow Heavy Metal Catalytic Converters - Overview - SummitRacing.com

So all in all, that totals less than $240 for a cat-back setup with a hi-flow cat.

What makes Kolak's kit better? What makes his worth $400+? Or was it $300?
that doesn't include a High-Flow Cat. and he is using NAME brand.

It's like your comparing fram to Amsoil filters lol
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2009, 10:30 PM   #3
pauler
2001 WJ 

kolak ftw!!

awesome customer service + high quality product
-Debadged, K&N CAI, Quad taillight mod, Yellowtop Optima, 3000 watt stereo setup, Kolak 3' Catback (flowmaster 70 with magnaflow tip and high flow magnaflow cat) with DMH electric cutout, Overland woodgrain wheel
pauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2009, 10:42 PM   #4
chromedisguise
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJoshxx View Post
that doesn't include a High-Flow Cat. and he is using NAME brand.

It's like your comparing fram to Amsoil filters lol
Guess you didn't read my whole post. I said you could still buy a hi-flow cat to complete the package for considerably less than Kolak's kit. Name brand metal pipes don't mean much to me, unless we're talking headers. Metal is metal for the most part. If eBay offered a cheaper kit, I would consider that as well. I am going to ceramic coat and wrap my stuff anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauler View Post
kolak ftw!!

awesome customer service + high quality product
Yea, if you like waiting 3 weeks to get your parts.
Unread 11-09-2009, 10:43 PM   #5
Kolak
Vendor

Yikes, that's some sort of no-name muffler that could be had for about $20.00. Wonder how long that would last???

If you're going to upgrade your exhaust, you should definitely get a high quality muffler that will last you a long time. Flowmaster or Magnaflow are what I recommend. These mufflers are heavy gauge steel. Flowmasters use baffles and chambers so there is no internal packing to wear out. Magnaflow uses packing, but it's a premium quality material that lasts many many years.

They don't have to be much more expensive than that either - especially after your 10% JeepForum discount.

Also, given that I offer a choice of mufflers, I can taylor the sound to suit what sound character you want.
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2009, 10:48 PM   #6
Kolak
Vendor

The gauge and quality of the steel are extremely important in terms of longevity, whether you coat it or not. So don't compromise and get a poor quality muffller.

Regarding order shipping time, I always work to get parts to my customers as soon as humanly possible. If you look at Summit Racing's site, you'll see that they have an enormous number of things on backorder at this time - even the big guys can't supply things instantly all the time. OME has things on backorder right now, Bilstein does too, and so does Rubicon Express, Rockcrawler, Procomp, Doug Thorley, Addco, and Magnaflow to name a few. Mopar parts are very hard to get - fan assemblies are on backorder, motor mounts, emblems, tie rod ends, bushings, seat belts, control arms, etc. etc. I am at the mercy of those making the parts. Sorry for any delays but I do my best.

I just started work on a batch of ZJ and WJ 3" tailpipes so this is good timing if you want one.

Quote:
Guess you didn't read my whole post. I said you could still buy a hi-flow cat to complete the package for considerably less than Kolak's kit. Name brand metal pipes don't mean much to me, unless we're talking headers. Metal is metal for the most part. If eBay offered a cheaper kit, I would consider that as well. I am going to ceramic coat and wrap my stuff anyways.

Unread 11-09-2009, 10:53 PM   #7
Kolak
Vendor

As for pricing, I could supply the same quality kit as Summit for less money. But I sure wouldn't want to because I wouldn't sell you a poor-quality muffler such as that one.

What I could sell you is my mandrel bent 3" tailpipe and a Magnaflow stainless steel muffler for less than $200.00 after your JeepForum discount. Or if you just want the mandrel bent tailpipe I'll sell you that and you get your own muffler.
Unread 11-09-2009, 11:13 PM   #8
chromedisguise
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak View Post
The gauge and quality of the steel are extremely important in terms of longevity, whether you coat it or not. So don't compromise and get a poor quality muffller.
On my Subaru WRX, I have had no issues running an eBay "cheap" Chinese quality downpipe and uppipe. Both bolt to the turbo and exhaust manifold, so it's important they fit correctly and seal and can handle the extreme heat that a turbo system produces. I ceramic coated them and heat wrapped them. I have gone through 2 nasty Colorado mountain winters and some hot and dry summers with no problems. No boost leaks, no exhaust leaks, nothing bad. Even pulled the uppipe off to check it out, and it looks great

So you would think it would be very important to make sure you are getting "name brand high quality" when working with something as delicate or intense as a turbo, but there is no reason to spend the asking price of $500+ for a simple downpipe for example. eBay downpipes can be had for less than $100.

Granted, the difference in price between the Summit Racing one and Kolak's is not that big. I would agree the extra $ is $ well spent for the better product. I will agree that mufflers and catalytic converters would want to be name brand quality. Simple piping, not as much. If the difference was hundreds of dollars, that would be a different story.

In conclusion, I'm glad we all had this chat. I'll stick to the Kolak kit.

Quote:
And I don't know what you waited three weeks for, but I always work to get parts to my customers as soon as humanly possible. If you look at Summit Racing's site, you'll see that they have an enormous number of things on backorder all the time - even the big guys can't supply things instantly all the time. OME has things on backorder right now, Bilstein does too, and so does Rubicon Express, Rockcrawler, Procomp, Doug Thorley, and Magnaflow to name a few. Mopar parts are very hard to get - fan assemblies are on backorder, motor mounts, emblems, bushings, control arms, etc. etc. I am at the mercy of those making the parts. Sprry for any delays but I do my best.
How about something as simple as a K&N FIPK? Those are fairly well stocked by many, no? They're all over eBay, Summit Racing, etc etc. You would think that would be something easy to track down.
Unread 11-09-2009, 11:18 PM   #9
Kolak
Vendor

My vendor has 8 warehouses and they are all zeros across the board on the FIPK for the ZJ V8. They own 4WD.com and 4Wheelparts Wholesalers so they are the largest in the world. They have a bunch coming - it will be this week for sure.
Unread 11-09-2009, 11:33 PM   #10
chromedisguise
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak View Post
My vendor has 8 warehouses and they are all zeros across the board on the FIPK for the ZJ V8. They own 4WD.com and 4Wheelparts Wholesalers so they are the largest in the world. They have a bunch coming - it will be this week for sure.
K&N 57-1506-2 - K&N High-Flow Air Intake Systems - Overview - SummitRacing.com * Estimated Ship Date: Today

K&N FIPK Cold Air Intake 1998/98 JEEP Grand Cherokee V8:eBay Motors (item 150365639125 end time Nov-10-09 16:59:51 PST) - $254.99 free shipping. Seller ships within 3 days after receiving cleared payment.
Unread 11-10-2009, 12:44 AM   #11
Kramer H
Built and Supercharged 47

2001 WJ 

Quote:
On my Subaru WRX, I have had no issues running an eBay "cheap" Chinese quality downpipe and uppipe. Both bolt to the turbo and exhaust manifold, so it's important they fit correctly and seal and can handle the extreme heat that a turbo system produces. I ceramic coated them and heat wrapped them. I have gone through 2 nasty Colorado mountain winters and some hot and dry summers with no problems. No boost leaks, no exhaust leaks, nothing bad. Even pulled the uppipe off to check it out, and it looks great

So you would think it would be very important to make sure you are getting "name brand high quality" when working with something as delicate or intense as a turbo, but there is no reason to spend the asking price of $500+ for a simple downpipe for example. eBay downpipes can be had for less than $100.

Granted, the difference in price between the Summit Racing one and Kolak's is not that big. I would agree the extra $ is $ well spent for the better product. I will agree that mufflers and catalytic converters would want to be name brand quality. Simple piping, not as much. If the difference was hundreds of dollars, that would be a different story.

In conclusion, I'm glad we all had this chat. I'll stick to the Kolak kit.

How about something as simple as a K&N FIPK? Those are fairly well stocked by many, no? They're all over eBay, Summit Racing, etc etc. You would think that would be something easy to track down.

Not to start an argument, but i ordered an exhaust off of there, for my 5.9l cummins, it was a banks muffler, and 4inch turbo back. now i can guarantee you my cummins runs a whole lot hotter than your wrx, after two years, literally the only thing left was the muffler, pretty much every single other thing from that had holes rusted through it, broken hangers, or in just plain bad shape. so, no, not all metal is the same, nor are all kits the same quality. with some better piping in my kit, it might actually had lasted a while. but it didn't. ended up spending another 250 to have my local shop re-do the bolt on 4" kit i had purchased off ebay. save time, money, and headaches. go with kolaks kit. he wouldn't still be in business if his kits sucked good luck!
K8 GSXR 1000- Racefit,Comp Werks,Puig,Woodcraft,B2 Industries,55W HID'S, R&G Engineering, Two brothers, ASV, DDM, "The pantie dropper"
Kramer H is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2009, 01:07 AM   #12
chromedisguise
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer H View Post
Not to start an argument, but i ordered an exhaust off of there, for my 5.9l cummins, it was a banks muffler, and 4inch turbo back. now i can guarantee you my cummins runs a whole lot hotter than your wrx, after two years, literally the only thing left was the muffler, pretty much every single other thing from that had holes rusted through it, broken hangers, or in just plain bad shape. so, no, not all metal is the same, nor are all kits the same quality. with some better piping in my kit, it might actually had lasted a while. but it didn't. ended up spending another 250 to have my local shop re-do the bolt on 4" kit i had purchased off ebay. save time, money, and headaches. go with kolaks kit. he wouldn't still be in business if his kits sucked good luck!
Kolak makes kits for the turbo diesel? I was under the impression Banks was a reputable company in the diesel aftermarket community?

I am not familiar with diesel turbo's EGTs, but a quick check HERE told me they don't go past 1200-1300 degrees usually, occasionally spiking to 1500-1600. This isn't foreign territory for a WRX or STi. See HERE for info. My WRX has seen EGTs of 1400-1500 very consistently over the past 2 years.

I never refuted the quality or durability of name brand mufflers or catalytic converters. And I suppose some have better luck than others when it comes to cheap Chinese eBay piping
Unread 11-10-2009, 01:17 AM   #13
Kramer H
Built and Supercharged 47

2001 WJ 

No haha, kolak doesn't do turbo diesel kits, it was one i bought off flea bay. sorry i should had made that more clear, my egt's (while towing) are around the 1300 to 1400 mark, so your right, i wasn't sure yours got as hot, i guess a water menthol injection would be just as good of a thing for you! yeah i was only refering to the pipe, banks is pretty reputable, but WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY YYYYYY overpriced for what it is. i bought a kit off ebay that was just a banks muffler with some cheap piping. not a banks kit.
K8 GSXR 1000- Racefit,Comp Werks,Puig,Woodcraft,B2 Industries,55W HID'S, R&G Engineering, Two brothers, ASV, DDM, "The pantie dropper"
Kramer H is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2009, 02:04 AM   #14
Kolak
Vendor

I had the same thing happen to me when I ordered some computer parts from NewEgg. They were backordered for two weeks. Meanwhile I saw they were in stock elsewhere but NewEgg always comes through. Just like I will for you

Quote:
Unread 11-10-2009, 05:34 AM   #15
ultimo
2002 WJ 

Quote:

Hmmm...............

Last edited by ultimo; 11-10-2009 at 07:23 AM..
ultimo is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.