Summer vs winter oil? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Summer vs winter oil?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 08-12-2013, 08:03 AM   #16
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

I don't know about that man. You saw my plenum and mine was a lot worse And the only issue is the odor of oil.

Kevinyj95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 11:08 AM   #17
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba974 View Post
At all costs..avoid pensoil....Not nice what comes out of a pensoil motor at the rebuilder...
^^^ This. I once got a Camaro from a lady that had used Penzoil from day one. I took the oil filler cap off and there was jellied crud filling the heads so much I couldn't see some of the rockers. I could just see the gel wiggling where the valves should be. I flushed it and filled it with Castrol and the gel went away. The next time I flushed it and big chunks of crud fell off the inside of the valve cover and plugged the oil drain holes in the heads. I had to pull the valve covers and clean everything. Quaker State is the same junk they even used to use the same bottles just different colors. (Pennsylvania Oil Company = Penzoil, Pennsylvania is the Quaker State)

I use Rotella 15-40 now. IMS Jeep recommends 10-30 for 100 degrees and down and 10-40 for something low like 20 or 30 degrees and up.

Most of the reason that oil turns black over time is the additive package breaking down or getting used up. It's the loss of additives that makes you change oil faster for stop and go city driving; the short drive cycles leave more condensed blow by in the crankcase. Physical shearing and thermal stress will break down the hydrocarbons in oil but not that much. The reason that oil seems to get thinner over time is that the viscosity modifiers that they use to make a 10 weight base oil thicken up to 30 to get 10W30 are not as resistant to shear and break down.

I've heard that synthetics may cause leaks on older engines but really there aren't that many places to leak oil: valve cover, oil pan, rear main, timing cover seal, oil filter adapter (to a much much lesser extent the distributor and head gasket). You could easily replace all of them in a day if you really wanted to.

If you want to know about oil http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/ is a good resource.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 11:49 PM   #18
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinyj95 View Post
I don't know about that man. You saw my plenum and mine was a lot worse And the only issue is the odor of oil.

You also don't have to use 91-92 octane... So you can get away with it longer then i could even tho my oil loss was "minor" 1 quart every 3k.. The 5.9's tend to ping more easily then the 5.2's do.. You can simply up your octane rating, me.. im already using 93 so once it pings I cant do anything about it.

Mine would ping anytime I went up hills at 2500-3000 rpm and anytime I stepped on the gas half way or more with the rpms at 2500-4000 rpm It would crackle.. It made mechanics cringe their teeth it was so bad lol..
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 12:06 AM   #19
Scopez
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candymancan

You also don't have to use 91-92 octane... So you can get away with it longer then i could even tho my oil loss was "minor" 1 quart every 3k.. The 5.9's tend to ping more easily then the 5.2's do.. You can simply up your octane rating, me.. im already using 93 so once it pings I cant do anything about it.

Mine would ping anytime I went up hills at 2500-3000 rpm and anytime I stepped on the gas half way or more with the rpms at 2500-4000 rpm It would crackle.. It made mechanics cringe their teeth it was so bad lol..
How many miles? My plenum is bad on my rams 5.9 at 247k miles, but it doesn't ping, only has oil consumption and I believe the oil pump is starting to go out. I don't drive it much anymore, it's needing a transmission something fierce.
Unread 08-15-2013, 10:25 AM   #20
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

Ohh sorry about that I don't mean to confuse you I have a 5.2 95 and a 98 5.9. I also have a 2.5 yj 95. The thing with octane ratings are most gas stations don't use them. I use to work at a Cumberland farms all three tanks were regular. Upper management called it the idiot tax. Have you tried an additive? My 5.9 wont get a ping even with regular. Although I know when I use to work at saab the saab engines are very picky and would ping and tick.
Kevinyj95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.