Summer vs winter oil? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Summer vs winter oil?

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 08-09-2013, 09:03 PM   #1
Dubfire98
1996 ZJ 

Summer vs winter oil?

So in case some of you didnt kno, there is summer blend and winter blend gasoline. Lol crazy right? so I'm currently running 10w30 in my 96 5.2l for summer. I was wondering if anyone runs different in winter? Does it really matter?

Dubfire98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 10:03 PM   #2
SpenceAK
1995 ZJ 

I live in Alaska where viscosity matters I run 5W 30 in the winter
SpenceAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 11:01 PM   #3
jabba974
1996 ZJ 

I live in Michigan where its winter and summer in the same day sometimes....Depends on the milage...I typically run 10w40...but I am more concerend with the brand/quality of the oil....I have had good luck with valvoline maxlife...and if I can afford it Royal Purple...
jabba974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 04:20 PM   #4
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

10w40 summer. 5w30 winter. Same gas year round but add dry gas in winter. Northern Maine/Canada.
Kevinyj95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 04:28 PM   #5
capcyclone

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinyj95 View Post
10w40 summer. 5w30 winter. Same gas year round but add dry gas in winter. Northern Maine/Canada.
^^^^^I did this when I lived back in Iowa (harsh winters/hot summers)

Now, I stick with quality 10w40 year round (Phoenix, AZ).
Unread 08-10-2013, 04:29 PM   #6
somebody5788
1994 ZJ 

ZJ's aren't very picky, you can pretty much run anything all year round and they don't complain as long as it's one of the recommend weights.

Personally at 220k I just run 10w30 all year round.
Unread 08-11-2013, 02:13 AM   #7
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

I kinda disagree about being picky about oil...

My 5.9 when I used rotella 5-40... it really hated it.. my engine clanked at idle and yea... I drained that **** after about 500 miles.. went back to 10-30 Castrol gtx.. im using 10-30 maxlife synthetic blend atm, but its making my rear main seal leak a lot worse I actually have drip marks on the pavement now overnight.. so when 4k miles comes in about 1k miles im going back to castrol
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 06:26 PM   #8
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

Man that clanking you keep talking about isn't natural 5.9 behavior. I was looking over your other threads earlier. The rear main is easy man about an hour or two job. I have never tried rotella but Castrol is junk. I use lucas. But before that I used Pennzoil. lucas goes in clean and comes out clean. Also leaks out slower and holds pressure better. Castrol always comes out dirty. Don't get me wrong oil is oil. Ive used junk every now and then. But there is really no point in using syn. You only get the benefits if you use it from the start.
Unread 08-11-2013, 06:49 PM   #9
jabba974
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
But there is really no point in using syn. You only get the benefits if you use it from the start.
I disagree...I started using Royal Purple 10w40 on my GMC 1500 at around 170,000 and changed the oil and filter every 10-12,000 miles....It finally died last summer at 347,000 miles....And I believe that was due to my step daughter running it out of coolant and oil...Kinda hard on engines when you do that...

The only problem I have seen is that synthetics tend to clean all the garbage out of the engine....thats where the leaks develop....

At all costs..avoid pensoil....Not nice what comes out of a pensoil motor at the rebuilder...
Unread 08-11-2013, 07:36 PM   #10
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

Ummm,oil is supposed to get dirty
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 08:31 PM   #11
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

Dirty is the oil breaking down. I have rebuilt my own engine several times now. The blacker grittier it is the more it has broken down burned etc... Im well over 347k now. How can you run out of coolant and oil? That's one hell of a leak. I was not saying it doesn't last long. Im saying theres no real benefit. Your engine should not need to be cleaned unless theres an issue or you don't change the oil and let it sludge. Syn also eats thru old gaskets. Smells bad. Burns horrible on a fire.
Unread 08-11-2013, 08:33 PM   #12
coltman151
1995 ZJ 

I use rotella t5 which is a syn blend. In about 200 miles after swap, pressure started lowering down to a more acceptable level (wouldn't go below 60 even at idle before) and actually changes with rpm like its supposed to. First change was the nastiest I'd ever seen. Second rotella was a little cleaner. Third the oil still had life in it (albeit not much). I'm about to make my 4th with t5. Valves have quieted, and lifters and top half look cleaner. Replaced oil pan and valve cover gasket to stop the slight slight leaks it developed. I'm more than happy.

From what I read it has a very stout add pack which is good for gunky but savable motors.
Unread 08-11-2013, 08:33 PM   #13
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

Don't get me wrong I would do it in a new car or freshly rebuilt or new motor. If I wanted to spend that much and be lazy and not change my oil for awhile.
Unread 08-11-2013, 11:31 PM   #14
jabba974
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Dirty is the oil breaking down. I have rebuilt my own engine several times now. The blacker grittier it is the more it has broken down burned etc... Im well over 347k now. How can you run out of coolant and oil? That's one hell of a leak. I was not saying it doesn't last long. Im saying theres no real benefit. Your engine should not need to be cleaned unless theres an issue or you don't change the oil and let it sludge. Syn also eats thru old gaskets. Smells bad. Burns horrible on a fire.
Its not just the oil breaking down, but other contaminates, such as unburnt fuel...

No leaks, just no maintenace on her part...You cant drive the thing for a year and not check **** like that...

I have never heard of synthetic oil eating through gaskets...that makes little or no sense...Now, I have heard of synthetic oils removing sludge and other build ups, exposing weak areas in gaskets...But never that it eats away at them....
And I believe there is alot of benefits to using synthetic oils on engines, even with alot of mile...Longer oil life, better lubrication, less oil break down, better protection to moving parts, even lower engine operating temps...
Unread 08-12-2013, 02:24 AM   #15
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Man that clanking you keep talking about isn't natural 5.9 behavior. I was looking over your other threads earlier. The rear main is easy man about an hour or two job. I have never tried rotella but Castrol is junk. I use lucas. But before that I used Pennzoil. lucas goes in clean and comes out clean. Also leaks out slower and holds pressure better. Castrol always comes out dirty. Don't get me wrong oil is oil. Ive used junk every now and then. But there is really no point in using syn. You only get the benefits if you use it from the start.

Probably not... but I suspect the pinging from my blown plenum I had for a few years not knowing how long it was pinging with the previous owner damaged the engine MAYBE... Because The clanking is coming from the passenger side head.. The valve covers have been off and if I wiggle the rockers side to side (not up and down I mean tug them side to side) the drivers side only has one that will click click back and forth.. the passenger side tho has like 3-4 of them which I can wiggle side to side really easily they seem a little loose.. I think the noise is coming from that..
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.