Suggestions on Spark Plug, Distributor Cap Brands? - JeepForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 08-15-2017, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
BrentM94
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Lake Isabella
Posts: 89
Suggestions on Spark Plug, Distributor Cap Brands?

I'm going to put on new Spark Plugs, Spark Plug Wires, and a new Distributor Cap. I'm looking on Rock Auto. I mainly need advice for the spark plug brand/type that you would recommend from rock auto I was going to go with any decent looking distributor cap and wires.

I heard that you want spark plugs that remain closest to OEM. Any suggestions or advice, thank you!

BrentM94 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 Old 08-15-2017, 08:55 PM
PolkaPower
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Abyss
Posts: 21,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentM94 View Post
I'm going to put on new Spark Plugs, Spark Plug Wires, and a new Distributor Cap. I'm looking on Rock Auto. I mainly need advice for the spark plug brand/type that you would recommend from rock auto I was going to go with any decent looking distributor cap and wires.

I heard that you want spark plugs that remain closest to OEM. Any suggestions or advice, thank you!
NGK coppers for plugs. Some 8mm wires would be nice. Brass cap and rotor.
I have the Airtex/Wells cap sitting on my shelf. It's nice. Also Summit 8mm wires. Look like good quality.
I'm currently using ACCEL wires, cap/rotor, and plugs though. Accidental order I couldn't cancel.
PolkaPower is online now  
post #3 of 22 Old 08-15-2017, 08:57 PM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler
 
Uniblurb's Avatar
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Central
Posts: 8,398
Champion copper plugs are OE and the ones I've always used in my 96 4.0. Not sure what Rockauto is selling but below are the tune-up parts I've used. Prices are probably a little higher since that post is from 4 years ago. Good luck.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/s.../#post15809984

96 4.0 ZJ Laredo, 2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 XJ (son's)


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.
Uniblurb is offline  
 
post #4 of 22 Old 08-15-2017, 09:09 PM
zjosh93
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Austin
Posts: 2,477
Just bought NGK coppers for mine. I'd been using Champion copper but I hate how crappy their production tolerances are on the side electrodes.
zjosh93 is offline  
post #5 of 22 Old 08-15-2017, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
BrentM94
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Lake Isabella
Posts: 89
I'm thinking about purchasing:

ACDELCO Spark Plug Wires $16.71
NGK Copper Spark Plugs (6 of them at $1.39 a piece)
AIRTEX/WELLS Distributor Cap + Rotor $26.79 (Should I hold off on buying the Cap and Rotor and just spend the money on whole new distributor?)

Is it wise to buy the Rotor with the Cap? Do you think I should replace the stock Distributor in general? Might save money purchasing the Distributor that comes with the Cap and Rotor for $47.79.

I'm trying to spend money where it's needed though, for example I have other important things to spend money on (Jeep Wise) so perhaps wait on the new Distributor and stick with the Spark Plugs, Wires, Cap and Rotor?
BrentM94 is offline  
post #6 of 22 Old 08-15-2017, 10:48 PM
PolkaPower
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Abyss
Posts: 21,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentM94 View Post
I'm thinking about purchasing:

ACDELCO Spark Plug Wires $16.71
NGK Copper Spark Plugs (6 of them at $1.39 a piece)
AIRTEX/WELLS Distributor Cap + Rotor $26.79 (Should I hold off on buying the Cap and Rotor and just spend the money on whole new distributor?)

Is it wise to buy the Rotor with the Cap? Do you think I should replace the stock Distributor in general? Might save money purchasing the Distributor that comes with the Cap and Rotor for $47.79.

I'm trying to spend money where it's needed though, for example I have other important things to spend money on (Jeep Wise) so perhaps wait on the new Distributor and stick with the Spark Plugs, Wires, Cap and Rotor?
You don't want to replace the distributor. It's not necessary and If you don't know what you are doing you can really screw things up.
It's the difference between tying your shoes or performing surgery.


Just replace the cap and rotor. They both come together.
PolkaPower is online now  
post #7 of 22 Old 08-15-2017, 10:52 PM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler
 
Uniblurb's Avatar
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Central
Posts: 8,398
While you wouldn't think those Denso plug wires aren't that good since they're only $11.38 but they work fine. And I'd buy them before buying AC Delco plug wires since their brand has had some problems with electrical parts in general.

Not sure about the Airtex/Wells cap w/rotor and you best hope they work better than the Airtex fuel pumps & sending units which are known to fail. Could be ok but just not familiar w/anybody using one.

No sense if getting a distributor because you get a cap w/rotor. The caps are all aluminum contact ones on all those distributors and you want a brass contact cap. When I bought a new distributor I threw the aluminum contact cap away.

96 4.0 ZJ Laredo, 2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 XJ (son's)


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.
Uniblurb is offline  
post #8 of 22 Old 08-15-2017, 10:56 PM
PolkaPower
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Abyss
Posts: 21,022
Here's the airtex. Looks good enough, I'd run it.
Attached Thumbnails
ForumRunner_20170815_215618.jpg   ForumRunner_20170815_215627.jpg  
PolkaPower is online now  
post #9 of 22 Old 08-15-2017, 11:01 PM
PolkaPower
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Abyss
Posts: 21,022
Here's the Accel rotor and the Accel wires.

The red Summit wires looks nice too.
Attached Thumbnails
ForumRunner_20170815_220020.jpg   ForumRunner_20170815_220030.jpg   ForumRunner_20170815_220040.jpg   ForumRunner_20170815_220048.jpg  
PolkaPower is online now  
post #10 of 22 Old 08-15-2017, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
BrentM94
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Lake Isabella
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
While you wouldn't think those Denso plug wires aren't that good since they're only $11.38 but they work fine. And I'd buy them before buying AC Delco plug wires since their brand has had some problems with electrical parts in general.

Not sure about the Airtex/Wells cap w/rotor and you best hope they work better than the Airtex fuel pumps & sending units which are known to fail. Could be ok but just not familiar w/anybody using one.

No sense if getting a distributor because you get a cap w/rotor. The caps are all aluminum contact ones on all those distributors and you want a brass contact cap. When I bought a new distributor I threw the aluminum contact cap away.
Okay I'm going with the Denso wires. The NGK Copper Spark Plugs. Still not sure about the Distributor Cap the only one with Brass contact on Rock Auto is the Airtex/Wells one. (I'm willing to shop elsewhere but trying to keep the quality good but the price reasonable.)

Would you guys recommend a platinum spark plug?
BrentM94 is offline  
post #11 of 22 Old 08-15-2017, 11:28 PM
PolkaPower
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Abyss
Posts: 21,022
No platinum plugs.
PolkaPower is online now  
post #12 of 22 Old 08-15-2017, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
BrentM94
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Lake Isabella
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
No platinum plugs.
Okay, I'm happy I posted here then. Thank you!
BrentM94 is offline  
post #13 of 22 Old 08-15-2017, 11:32 PM
PolkaPower
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Abyss
Posts: 21,022
Definitely get a brass cap and rotor.
PolkaPower is online now  
post #14 of 22 Old 08-15-2017, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
BrentM94
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Lake Isabella
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Here's the Accel rotor and the Accel wires.

The red Summit wires looks nice too.
Those wires look nice, but not really wanting to pay that much for wires. So we can agree on the Airtex/Wells brass contacts for $26.79? With Rotor included. Thanks for the advice on the Distributor I didn't know it could be dangerous/ difficult to install. I've never installed a Distributor before so I'll dodge that bullet so I don't make things worse.
BrentM94 is offline  
post #15 of 22 Old 08-15-2017, 11:50 PM
PolkaPower
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Abyss
Posts: 21,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentM94 View Post

Those wires look nice, but not really wanting to pay that much for wires. So we can agree on the Airtex/Wells brass contacts for $26.79? With Rotor included. Thanks for the advice on the Distributor I didn't know it could be dangerous/ difficult to install. I've never installed a Distributor before so I'll dodge that bullet so I don't make things worse.
Yeah, you don't want to mess with it unless you have to.
You'll be fine with the stuff you chose.
PolkaPower is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome