Suddenly not starting as it was!!! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 03-11-2004, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Levi_264

Suddenly not starting as it was!!!

I have a 97 two door cherokee sport and it is has recently decided not to start right up as it did before. It used to fire up as soon as i would turn the key but it now rolls over a bunch of times before starting.

If anyone has any idea of what might be wrong please let me know thank you very much.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-11-2004, 06:32 PM
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi_264
I have a 97 two door cherokee sport and it is has recently decided not to start right up as it did before. It used to fire up as soon as i would turn the key but it now rolls over a bunch of times before starting.

If anyone has any idea of what might be wrong please let me know thank you very much.

Weak spark. Check cap, rotor, wires and plugs.

Warren
Black 1996 5.2L ZJ Limited
post #3 of 6 Old 03-12-2004, 02:08 AM
94ZZJJ

That is kinda vauge in description. Does it turn as fast or not? If not could be the battery or starter going. It it turns ok probably what was said above. My started turned over slow because the starter got soaked with the oil leak(s) and it died shortly after.
post #4 of 6 Old 03-12-2004, 08:30 AM
deeger

It sounds like a weak battery. Some Jeep models, especially ZJs, have a reputation of resetting the computer when it detects a low battery condition, which results in poor starting, or stalling.

Deeger

If it ain't broke...fiddle with it 'til it is
'94 ZJ Black 5.2 V8, AMRacing Wheels, BFGs, 160K miles
'95 BMW 525i stock
'97 Honda CBR900RR Erion Racing Edition

Last edited by deeger; 03-12-2004 at 08:33 AM.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-15-2004, 07:18 PM
Bicycleman

Quote:

I have a 98' GC, The starter went at 74,000 miles with no warning at all.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-03-2004, 04:28 PM
jaime goodhart
2000 WK 

Quote:

check your fuel pressure on the fuel rail. it could be dropping after sitting awhile. could be either the fuel regulator or the sending unit in the gas tank (bad check valve or loose hose). you should be able to maintain about 10 -20 pounds at the fuel rail.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.