Sudden stalling - crank, no start. BAD CPS? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Sudden stalling - crank, no start. BAD CPS?

Clayton Off Road WJ Skid Plate TestingIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!

Unread 05-07-2014, 09:15 PM   #1
jalexander69
1995 ZJ 

Sudden stalling - crank, no start. BAD CPS?

So I almost feel guilty for posting this as Im sure it has been posted hundreds of times but here it goes anyways.

Sometime last week I parked the jeep outside a buddies house and stayed for a few hours. When I went to leave, the jeep would just crank and crank but no start. We tested for spark and there wasnt any. I decided to just stay the night and try in the morning since it was already late. The next morning it fired up but idled VERY rough. I drove it home (about 20kms) and parked it. Since then I have had a few instances where the engine completely cuts out with no warning or stalling or anything on the highway. And it also stalled once as I switched from Drive to Reverse. Seems to stall once it reaches operating temperature (but not always) and seems to only stall when its hot. Then will only restart once it has cooled down for 10-30min. It also bogs down when going slow or taking corners, switching from Drive to Reverse, etc. Im guessing it is the Crank position sensor but if anyone has any feedback that'd be greatly appreciated. Im a student and this is my DD and I live out of town so I need this thing to be reliable for me. Thanks in advance!!!

Unread 05-08-2014, 04:54 PM   #2
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

if you want to try for immediate gratification, the crank sensor is a good bet.

i would try running it without the o2 sensor connected. if it still does it, reconnect o2.

then get it running and disconnect the cam sensor. it will run but will not start with the cam sensor disconnected.

if you have the time, the link below might bring you some joy.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2014, 05:47 PM   #3
jalexander69
1995 ZJ 

Thanks for the reply. I have already disconnected the o2 sensor, which I should have included. And it ran the same. If I disco the cam sensor while running and it seems to fix the idle and symptoms would that mean its time to replace it? Sorry if it's a silly question I just want to be sure
Unread 05-08-2014, 09:30 PM   #4
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalexander69 View Post
TIf I disco the cam sensor while running and it seems to fix the idle and symptoms would that mean its time to replace it?
yeppers
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.