successful 242 swap. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > successful 242 swap.

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 04-13-2013, 04:57 AM   #1
ZJfamilyfun
1998 ZJ 

successful 242 swap.

Took 6 hours. 1.5 to remove 249. 1.5 to install 242. 3 hrs. Drinking in between tasks. I picked up a 242 out of a 98 zj. W/ a 4.0. For $75. Bolted right up. No mods no nothing. Just remove 249 and reverse for install. Just had to adjust shift linkage...... totally awesome. Thanks for the wonderful write up.

ZJfamilyfun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2013, 12:43 AM   #2
ZJfamilyfun
1998 ZJ 

Went out for a maiden voyage today, and totally loved it. Gained 3mph both city and highway!!!! Now 13.8 city 17 hwy.
Unread 04-14-2013, 12:59 AM   #3
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

i dont think you gained any mpg. the entire front axle components are still turning whether its in 2wd or 4wd thats what causes the decrease in fuel mileage. the only way to benefit from the 242 swap fuel economy wise is if you installed manual locking hubs, which IIRC the kit is over 1000 bucks, so its really not worth it.
Unread 04-14-2013, 07:44 AM   #4
LouC
2007 WK 

Agree based on my experience of running a ZJ with a 242 for 15 years. It's possible your 249 was binding up in turns and that may have lowered your mpg. I have tried running my ZJ in both 2wd and full time and there really is no difference in mpg. The nice thing about the 242, is flexibility. If you have a bad winter, you can leave it in full time. To reduce wear and tear you can run in 2 WD. Off road 4x4, part time works great, no waiting for auto engagement like other systems. One improvement I could have suggested was a Torsen differential to provide auto lock up in full time. Overall, the 242 is a great case for people who don't mind shifting for themselves.
Unread 04-14-2013, 04:26 PM   #5
ZJfamilyfun
1998 ZJ 

Yeah. The VC in my 249 was wasted.....right turns on city were taken like big trucks. Nice and wide. nd we parked in the far back of parking lots to avoid having to try to make the tight maneuvers. But yes we did gain significant mpg increases. And my wife and I are old school. We don't mind pulling a lever to engage 4wd. But all in all I'm way happier.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.