sub box ideas/suggestions/pictures - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > sub box ideas/suggestions/pictures

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 03-05-2008, 09:27 AM   #16
Erek.Smith
1995 ZJ 

Is that box for one subwoofer? You could probably fit like four subs in that thing.

Where are you going to mount your amp?

Essential gear for America's heroes
Erek.Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2008, 09:41 AM   #17
BlueTJMCRT
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJChris View Post
A sealed enclosure needs to be built to the SPECS of THE SPEAKER. Volume will be determined by the speaker.

A ported enclosure will also be dictated by what speaker you run.

not all are made for sealed, and not all are made for ported/bandpass enclosures.

Just making a box of random dimensions may work, but not as well as a properly designed box.
Best advice yet. Pay attention to what the sub you are going to run likes. Some need a ported box, some you want full sealed enclosures.....
Unread 03-05-2008, 09:51 AM   #18
alivenkickin28
1995 ZJ 

yeah mine is sealed and when i turned it sideways like this one so i had a little more storage room it sounded like Shht!
alivenkickin28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2008, 10:05 AM   #19
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

With the above setup he is going to have to go with a free air style woofer. It will sound like poopy.
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2008, 11:41 AM   #20
doggboy

Some interesting advice going on here...

First whether you face the sub sideways as shown or to the rear depends on your taste in music and what you want the sub to do. In the WJ, facing the sub to the rear will make the sub boomier and add volume, but will make it much harder to blend with your front stage. If you aren't doing a SQ set up and are just looking for some punchy bass, this way will be fine. If you are an audiophile and are trying to create an accurate and/or tranparent bottom end then the location you have is about as good as it gets in our Jeeps.

Also, as stated by others, the box volume should be calculated to match the sub. Ported enclosures are very touchy, and must be built just right to get optimum performance, I don't mess with them myself but thats just personal prefference. Sealed is much more forgiving, if you you are a little off in volume it won't be the end of the world. Either way, DO NOT USE THE MAUFACTURE'S RECOMENDED BOX VOLUME!! Run a model of the sub in winisd http://www.linearteam.dk/ to get your volume, and don't forget to account for the displacement of the sub itself.

Virmagicus,
Why would he use a free air sub in a sealed enclosure? There are quite a few subs that work well in both aplications, but a free air sub is designed to use you entire trunk (properly sealed of course), as an enclosure, where he will only end up with about a cubic foot of volume.
doggboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2008, 11:51 AM   #21
tsconver
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggboy View Post
Some interesting advice going on here...

First whether you face the sub sideways as shown or to the rear depends on your taste in music and what you want the sub to do. In the WJ, facing the sub to the rear will make the sub boomier and add volume, but will make it much harder to blend with your front stage. If you aren't doing a SQ set up and are just looking for some punchy bass, this way will be fine. If you are an audiophile and are trying to create an accurate and/or tranparent bottom end then the location you have is about as good as it gets in our Jeeps.

Also, as stated by others, the box volume should be calculated to match the sub. Ported enclosures are very touchy, and must be built just right to get optimum performance, I don't mess with them myself but thats just personal prefference. Sealed is much more forgiving, if you you are a little off in volume it won't be the end of the world. Either way, DO NOT USE THE MAUFACTURE'S RECOMENDED BOX VOLUME!! Run a model of the sub in winisd http://www.linearteam.dk/ to get your volume, and don't forget to account for the displacement of the sub itself.

Virmagicus,
Why would he use a free air sub in a sealed enclosure? There are quite a few subs that work well in both aplications, but a free air sub is designed to use you entire trunk (properly sealed of course), as an enclosure, where he will only end up with about a cubic foot of volume.
Placement is defintiely key for good sound. I have an infinity basslink to just add in bass not rattle windows and it definitely sounds best pointed towards the rear hatch. I actually attached mine tothe back of the passenger side rear seat after deciding what orientation sounded the best.

We have room but for one flag, the American flag . . . We have room but for one language, and that is the English language . . . And we have room for but one sole loyalty...and that is a loyalty to the American people. T. Roosevelt 1919

2003 Grand Cherokee 4.0L Laredo

My Build Thread

A few goodies
http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/h...umb55839/jeep/

2001 Kawasaki 1200 ZRX
A few Speed parts, fun to ride
http://www.zrxoa.org/

2006 Red Liberty
Wife's ride, pretty stock
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/h...mage0008-1.jpg

http://www.cnc4x4.org/

http://www.treadlightly.org/

tsconver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2008, 12:14 PM   #22
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Virmagicus,

First off look at the size of the enclosure, way more than a cubic foot(closer to around 5 cubic feet). Also , there is no way that it can be sealed or even close to being "air tight" with the construction that he is using unless he is planning on backing off the box to lessen the cubic volume. Sealed enclosure/air tight-no, can he use a bass reflex design with a port hole?-no, it is not sealed. We will see how it is going to be backed off & what style sub and how many he is using to determine the correct volume.
Unread 03-05-2008, 12:20 PM   #23
LaCeS OuT
1994 ZJ 

Check this out:
http://www.audiobahn.com/Audiobahn06...ularBoxVol.htm

For wood thickness, I used 1/2" MDF board. Keep putting in sizes until you get the correct sq/ft for your woofer and setup.

Jeep Sold! 02/2009

Need AMSOIL? Click Here!
LaCeS OuT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2008, 12:58 PM   #24
doggboy

Virmagicus,

Unless I am completely missing something, he is only making a mock up right now, he will use the panel deminsions from his mock up to make a real box. Also that box is nowhere near 5 cubic feet. Isisde there is the wheel well, the back panel, and the gas filler tube, all which take up space, If he has 1.5cf or more I would be supprised. I know this because I was going to build a fiberglass box in the same spot. Next if he dosen't build a sealed enclosue or air tight enclosure a free air sub won't help anyway, he will get tons of air noise from any leaks and it will sound like arse. A free air sub still needs and enclosure, just a much biger one. If you run a free air (or infinite baffle) sub without sealing the trunk properly it will sound like arse too. He can make that enclosure sealed, but it will take some care to work around all the stuf on that back wall. Not at all impossible, just time consuming.

tsconver,

I completly agree that most people will like the way you have yours set up better than side firing. The majority of people will never even try, or know how to properly blend the sub with the front stage. And there is nothing wrong with this, there are times when I prefer this type of set up too. A true SQ set up will blend seamlessly with the front to the point where you can hardly tell there is a sub there, but this is not what a lot of people want, they just want some bump. I just wanted to let the original poster know the diference, and clear up some of the issues of advice being given here.

The main thing to remember with audio is, all the advice in the world is no substitute for just trying. What sound great to one guy will sound like crap to another, you just need to listen for your self and set your system up how you like it.
Unread 03-05-2008, 01:34 PM   #25
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

Yes , I know this is a mock up. My only point was he would have to back off the box (from behind) in order to have a sealed enclosure & to lessen the cubic feet which is more now than what he needs. See how it is rounded off on the bottom.
Unread 03-05-2008, 01:43 PM   #26
tsconver
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Virmagicus,

Unless I am completely missing something, he is only making a mock up right now, he will use the panel deminsions from his mock up to make a real box. Also that box is nowhere near 5 cubic feet. Isisde there is the wheel well, the back panel, and the gas filler tube, all which take up space, If he has 1.5cf or more I would be supprised. I know this because I was going to build a fiberglass box in the same spot. Next if he dosen't build a sealed enclosue or air tight enclosure a free air sub won't help anyway, he will get tons of air noise from any leaks and it will sound like arse. A free air sub still needs and enclosure, just a much biger one. If you run a free air (or infinite baffle) sub without sealing the trunk properly it will sound like arse too. He can make that enclosure sealed, but it will take some care to work around all the stuf on that back wall. Not at all impossible, just time consuming.

tsconver,

I completly agree that most people will like the way you have yours set up better than side firing. The majority of people will never even try, or know how to properly blend the sub with the front stage. And there is nothing wrong with this, there are times when I prefer this type of set up too. A true SQ set up will blend seamlessly with the front to the point where you can hardly tell there is a sub there, but this is not what a lot of people want, they just want some bump. I just wanted to let the original poster know the diference, and clear up some of the issues of advice being given here.

The main thing to remember with audio is, all the advice in the world is no substitute for just trying. What sound great to one guy will sound like crap to another, you just need to listen for your self and set your system up how you like it.
I love the way mine sounds, I honestly can not tell where the bass comes from. Now people in the back seat are not so thrilled with it. THey do get a free massage though, :-)

We have room but for one flag, the American flag . . . We have room but for one language, and that is the English language . . . And we have room for but one sole loyalty...and that is a loyalty to the American people. T. Roosevelt 1919

2003 Grand Cherokee 4.0L Laredo

My Build Thread

A few goodies
http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/h...umb55839/jeep/

2001 Kawasaki 1200 ZRX
A few Speed parts, fun to ride
http://www.zrxoa.org/

2006 Red Liberty
Wife's ride, pretty stock
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/h...mage0008-1.jpg

http://www.cnc4x4.org/

http://www.treadlightly.org/

tsconver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2008, 01:49 PM   #27
doggboy

Yeah he will lose alot of air space when he seals up the back (unless he uses fiberglass) but that is just the nature of the beast. He has to seal the box or he might as well not do it at all, there is no in between.
Unread 03-05-2008, 09:07 PM   #28
zippome
2000 WJ 

wow im surprised at the amount of response. yes i am using 1/2 inch mdf. i am very far from being done this box. im planning on building another closed box for just the sub and mount that inside of the existing box. the box im woking on now is more of an outer shell. as for the amp, im going to mount it on top of the outer box or under my back seat next to my current amp.
4" Zone Offroad Kit, 16x7 Cragar Soft 8's, 265/75/16 Maxxis Bighorns, Rock-It Sliders, Rancho SS, Yakima Load Warrior, Flowmaster Super 40, Reverse Lights, 2 Lights Up Front, Custom 6 Switch Plate, Cobra 76 XTR CB with PA, Lightbar, Custom Hitch Tire Carrier, Fleabay Warm Air Intake
zippome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2008, 09:22 PM   #29
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

Just keep in mind the information stated above.
Unread 03-05-2008, 09:29 PM   #30
zippome
2000 WJ 

hey guiys thanks for all the advice. i will definatley keep all that in mind as im finishing up. here are a few more pictures of what i got done today.

4" Zone Offroad Kit, 16x7 Cragar Soft 8's, 265/75/16 Maxxis Bighorns, Rock-It Sliders, Rancho SS, Yakima Load Warrior, Flowmaster Super 40, Reverse Lights, 2 Lights Up Front, Custom 6 Switch Plate, Cobra 76 XTR CB with PA, Lightbar, Custom Hitch Tire Carrier, Fleabay Warm Air Intake
zippome is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.