Stumbling overheating and code p171 and 172 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Stumbling overheating and code p171 and 172

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieCustom Axle Work at CCORJEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 06-08-2013, 10:42 PM   #1
highangle501
1996 ZJ 

Stumbling overheating and code p171 and 172

Ok so I have a 96 4.0 and I am driving from alaska to oklahoma haling a trailer. After a while out on the highway I have had a issue where it feels like it is having issues getting enough fuel. I have 703 injectors I just replaced the fuel pump at a hotel parkinglot by the way and has a new fuel filter. Can't ququiet figure out what the issue is any help would be helpful

highangle501 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 11:40 PM   #2
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Those codes are for a bad upstream oxygen sensor, which would cause the stumbling. Mine did the same thing when it went bad, even caused stalling at the end of it's life. It sends the fuel/air mixture readings to the PCM.

The overheating could be a number of things. Need more specifics of when/how it overheats.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 03:58 AM   #3
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

^ agree, on those codes are for a bad upstream o2 sensor. Only go with NTK/NGK which is OE and your upstream is a NTK 23121 available from Rockauto for $32.79 or Amazon for $40.

Curious what brand fuel pump you installed and did you replace the whole assembly or just the pump? If a new o2 sensor doesn't solve your problems you can get a loaner fuel pressure tester for attaching to the fuel rail at most auto parts stores. Your spec is 49psi +/- 5lbs. Have even heard of some duct taping the gauge to the outside of the windshield so you can check the pressure while driving down the highway.

Not sure about the overheating but have you flushed the cooling system lately and is the 190* thermostat still good? Is your header cracked at the welds where the tubes come together which is a common problem on your 4.0? I had to replace mine on my 96 4.0.

I'm also running new 703's, which took quite a while to adjust, along with a new Bosch fuel pump assembly which works great. Good luck.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 09:15 AM   #4
coralman
new wrangler prototype

1998 ZJ 

Anecdoctally, some were saying the 703's lean out at higher rpm's but that is just internet stuff. But hypothetically, and this is a question more than a statement, if they did in highway driving with a maxed out duty cycle would the jeep throw a 02 code and possibly overheat from the lean condition? I don't understand all that stuff so just asked.

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 11:47 AM   #5
highangle501
1996 ZJ 

Ya in theory, and I say overheating it was running at the upper side of where I felt conferrable with it. I changed the o2 sensor the old one I think was original and the truck has hi mileage. I had already replaced the rear one. We will see if it helps tonight. I am leaving Colorado Springs for Stillwater OK the last 600 miles of my trip. To answer the earlier question I just replaced the pump and pre filter that's all I could find at the time. I wonder if some of it is the elevation change it truck has lived most of its life at sea level and when I have had the most issues out of it is at higher elevations. Just a thought.
highangle501 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.