Stuck trunk door - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Stuck trunk door

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 05-31-2006, 01:19 PM   #1
bobdobolina

Stuck trunk door

I've got a '96 (I think... close to '96 if not) Grand Cherokee. It's got over 250k on it and some major issues (the front/rear differential is borked up, and has been for 100k miles, so turning tight causes all sorts of bucking a squawking from the tires), so I really don't want to sink a lot of money into it.

However, this past week, the damn trunk door is stuck!

Ever since I got it a little over a year ago, it's been an issue. Basically, after unlocking the doors (it's got power everything), I've had to flick the trunk handle up repeatedly before it would finally unlatch.

Now, the thing will NOT come unlatched. I can turn the key and feel the mechanism unlock, but there is something else going on there... some other interlock.

I did notice this once this winter parked on a big incline (I was "making" a parking spot on a snow embankment) that the trunk would not open when the front of the car was pointed uphill any amount. Maybe I just need to park with the front of the car pointed downhill? =)

Does anyone know anything about suck a device; some sort of safety device so the trunk doesn't pop open while offroading?

I don't want to spend a ton of money taking it into the shop if there is something I can do. Pretty hard to fit my mountain bike in through the rear doors!

thanks!

Bob

bobdobolina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2006, 01:28 PM   #2
Bloodbath
1998 ZJ 

Is the handle loose? Try pulling on the right side of the handle to open it. Mine sticks sometimes and if I pull on the right (passenger) side it opens.

You may have to try to pull the inner panel off from the inside (it's a PITA), if you can't open it, to get in there and see whats wrong.
6" Lift - 32 x 11.5 BFG MT's - K&N FIPK - MSD Ignition with Magnecore wires - JKS Control Arms, Trackbars and QD's - Addco Front Swaybar - Intake Swap - U-turn Steering Conversion
Bloodbath is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2006, 01:30 PM   #3
bobdobolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDrunk
Is the handle loose? Try pulling on the right side of the handle to open it. Mine sticks sometimes and if I pull on the right (passenger) side it opens.

You may have to try to pull the inner panel off from the inside (it's a PITA), if you can't open it, to get in there and see whats wrong.
Aye; thanks. Doesn't feel loose, but I'll play with it when I get home. Sure hope I don't have to try and pull off the panel from the inside... with the door closed!
bobdobolina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2006, 01:33 PM   #4
Bloodbath
1998 ZJ 

If you do have to pull the inner panel, don't forget there may be 2 screws under the carpet part on the panel. You can feel around for the holes. They are towards the 2 lower corners.
6" Lift - 32 x 11.5 BFG MT's - K&N FIPK - MSD Ignition with Magnecore wires - JKS Control Arms, Trackbars and QD's - Addco Front Swaybar - Intake Swap - U-turn Steering Conversion
Bloodbath is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2006, 01:55 PM   #5
SpinTk

yeah...something probably just came unhooked in there man. just take that panel off and you could probably locate the problem. But it sounds to me like you need to find a new whip...good luck

...[B]more to come[/B][I][B]!![/B][/I]
SpinTk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2006, 01:57 PM   #6
Varkyl
No where near stock

To let you know that the hopping that happens when you turn, that is not the differentials. It's a part in the transfer case called the viscous coupler.

new sig coming soon
Varkyl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2006, 02:08 PM   #7
Brian's 97 ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Ok, this may save you from shaving some skin off of your arms.

Take your key-fob and stand by the rear hatch. Unlock the doors and listen to see if the actuator is even trying to unlock the door. If it makes a whirring-snick sound that is good since the actuator is trying to work. No sound = bad news and you will have to loosen the interior panel to open the hatch.

Anyway, onward to the "fix"...

From my experience, the sliding lock mechanism in the hatch becomes rusty and will refuse to slide when you try to unlock the doors. I was able to get the mechanism to move by driving over (and over and over) some extremely bumpy railroad crossings while locking and unlocking the doors (mostly unlocking). Luckily I was then able to open the hatch, remove the trim panel and clean/lube the lock mechanism. Has been working ever since.

If this doesn't work for you then you will have to loosen the trim on the hatch (can't remove it while closed) enough where you can peek down inside. You will probably have to poke/rip/tear a hole through the plastic dust cover so that you can actually see the mechanics. Now that you can see down into the door and have a view of the latching mechanism you should see a threaded rod sticking up. Use whaever means you have to pull up on the rod and the door will open right up. A sacrifice of skin will probably be made to the Jeep Gods at this time.

HTH

- Brian

For some reason, being a member of the CharGold Jeep Club just isn't as cool... Member #1
Brian's 97 ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2006, 08:09 PM   #8
spuddybuddy

When mine did that a few months ago I found out that if you hit directly below the handle rather hard with the side of your fist while having the other hand pull the handle, it should pop open. Might take a few whacks to find the sweet spot. Then, pull the interior panel and adjust. I also adjusted the base that it latches into on the body.

Good Luck

'06 G35 Coupe 6MT
- A bit faster than the ZJ
spuddybuddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2006, 08:44 PM   #9
bryans 86

yep i have to hit mine on the right of the handle i would try that if not you can just break apart the back plastic to get to the mechanisim and then go to the junk yard to get another one (if u want ... i run mine with out a panel ) thats what i would try
bryans 86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2006, 09:58 PM   #10
micifus
Original GC'er

1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dai_Ryu
Now that you can see down into the door and have a view of the latching mechanism you should see a threaded rod sticking up. Use whaever means you have to pull up on the rod and the door will open right up. A sacrifice of skin will probably be made to the Jeep Gods at this time.

HTH

- Brian
See if you can open the door first by pushing on the trunk door around the handle, there is a "sweet spot" where when pushed just right will allow you to open the trunk, this is why there is many dents in my trunk from when I punched it out of frustatation Its an easy fix for the most part sounds just like what happened to mine. That threaded rod sticking up is the key, when that lifts it opens the latch. You will notice that there is a metal clip on this threaded rod that is what slips and causes your latch not to open. you will want to loosen this poorly designed clip and move it further it up the threaded rod and then crimp the clip back on but, not to far other wise the latch will never latch and the trunk will stay open. You will see what I mean when you take that back panel off, and yes you will loose some skin in the process. Make sure you clamp it down tight cause you dont want to have to redo all of it. I drove mine around for about a month with the plastic panel off to make sure it was all set before putting it back on.

1970 Jeepster Commando 225 V6
32"x11.5" BFG A/T
4" Lift

"For every one thing I fix two things break"
micifus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2006, 11:07 PM   #11
Skyline

I had this problem for a while, and I agree that a good whack above the handle while pulling up on the handle can make it open. Once open, you may need to adjust the position of the clasp on the bottom of the opening. I did have to replace my latch mecanism eventually; there's a plastic piece inside that can fatigue and make this problem get worse and worse.
Unread 06-02-2006, 10:37 AM   #12
micifus
Original GC'er

1993 ZJ 

ahhh yes the plastic pice too, for got about that. That can ware down or even break! not fun but, moving the clip further up the threaded rod should solve the problem.

1970 Jeepster Commando 225 V6
32"x11.5" BFG A/T
4" Lift

"For every one thing I fix two things break"
micifus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2006, 06:24 PM   #13
randyszj94
1994 ZJ 

my rear hatch wont open if u pull the handle... u hafta push the hatch in then pull up.... kinda weird.. also check the latch on the inside see if somthings wedge in there...
randyszj94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2006, 09:07 PM   #14
PlatinumZJ
Senior Moment Member

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdobolina
I've got a '96 (I think... close to '96 if not) Grand Cherokee. It's got over 250k on it and some major issues (the front/rear differential is borked up, and has been for 100k miles, so turning tight causes all sorts of bucking a squawking from the tires), so I really don't want to sink a lot of money into it.

However, this past week, the damn trunk door is stuck!

Bob
Bob,
Try giving it a shove as if to close it. Mine sometimes act like the handle won't release, especially if something on the inside is pushing on the inside. a good shove on the outside seems to get it fully latched so it can unlatch.
Links: Kevin (AKA KOR) for ZJ & WJ stuff,
Kolak for performance stuff. I6 performance info at Dino's jeep 4.0 performance site
Other stuff: Kevin's Roof Rack. KOR sliders, Bored 62mm TB, Blaupunkt Bermuda w/ ipod, Brembo Slotted rotors,
OME steering stabilizer, H4 headlight upgrade...
PlatinumZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #15
lionshooter
1993 ZJ 

Just fixed mine this AM. Took 10 minutes. Hammered it with my fist near the latch while pulling up. Bingo. Open. Removed latch assembly after removing inner panel. It was gunked up. Sprayed with parts cleaner, then graphite lube. Reassembled and it works perfectly.
lionshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.