Stuck Rear Hatch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Stuck Rear Hatch

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinGear Installs at CCOR SpecialSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in Stock

Unread 05-06-2003, 01:43 PM   #1
smiley

Stuck Rear Hatch

My rear hatch is stuck on my 97 GCL. I went to the dealer and he jiggeled it a few times (said magic dealer chant) and sure enough it opened right up (I have tried a thousand times). He said he could fix it for the usual 75.00 shop rate...of course! Anyone have any ideas?

smiley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2003, 05:19 PM   #2
jmsjeep

Had same thing happen - could not open hatch

I pulled back the plastic cover as far as possible (few inches) from the inside without the door opening, you can only get to certain screws.

Then reached down inside to the lock mechanism and pulled and pushed until it unlocked. now you will be able to take the rest of the door backing off and get in there. I cleaned everything then covered everything with grease, then tightened everything that could be inside and outside the handle. That was about two years ago and not one problem since.

'89 YJ 4 banger all stock, replacing all the worn out guts first, 97 grand cherokee limited
jmsjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2003, 05:24 PM   #3
smiley

Hatch Fix

Hey thanks! I try that in the morning
Unread 05-11-2003, 10:20 PM   #4
Swamp Boy
1993 ZJ 

Once you get it open you will need to slide the metal clip farther down the shaft.. This will give you more lift on the handle.. Thats how I fixed mine..
Now getting the door up.. Try to put the key in the lock and unlock it as you lift the handle.. If this does not work..
Take out the screws that hold the floor molding in on the inside.. Then unscrew all the screws in the back hatch.. Its a pain in the butt. but its the only way I could get mine open.. Once you have all the screws out you can reach in and pull the rod and the door will open.. Then you will see what I am talking about.. Its a little metal clip on a metal rod.. I slid mine all the way down and now my hatch opens really easily..
Good luck..
Carl
Unread 05-12-2003, 05:14 PM   #5
f14x4

i had to wire the shaft of the handle nto the metal clip cause it lept falling out...once i did that i had no more problems..
Unread 05-12-2003, 06:54 PM   #6
smiley

Thanks All

Well I finally dug into this and after a scraped up arm I got the tail open. I saw the clip and moved it down. I also went to the hardware store and picked up a matching nut to prevent the clip from moving up again.
Unread 05-13-2003, 04:13 PM   #7
Swamp Boy
1993 ZJ 

Good job.. Glad we could help..
Good idea with the nut.. I bent mine slightly to keep it from sliding..
So I assume it works great now..
Unread 05-13-2003, 08:16 PM   #8
Camster

hey mine was stuck too. but thanks you your instructions i fixed it this afternoon. thanks! it was really begining to piss me off. i first i went too far and the tailgate wouldn't close and i was stupid enough to put the plastic cover back on without testing it. took it back off and fixed it right though. thanks again.

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/nc2/davidpage/Camsjeep.html]My Jeep[/url]
Camster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.