Stuck on rear end swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Stuck on rear end swap

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 05-15-2013, 11:25 PM   #1
FiveNineJeep
1998 ZJ 

Stuck on rear end swap

So I have most of the rear end disconnected and have gotten to be on a time schedule.

I am stuck on the T-50 bolt that holds the track bar in place, it turns but doesn't move so... I am obviously doing something wrong but not entirely sure what. Should I have something to pry the bolt with while I turn?

Thanks! Hoping to get this done tomorrow.

FiveNineJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 04:00 AM   #2
a70eliminator

There's a nut on the other side that you need to keep from turning.
a70eliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 04:04 AM   #3
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

I've also seen bolts rust to the inside of the bushing sleeve. They feel like they're going to come out but won't because the sleeve obviously doesn't fit through the bolt hole in the mount. I don't really have a good way of fixing that...
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 04:37 AM   #4
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

I don't even waste time trying to remove those bolts by wrench. My starting point is always the sawzall.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 07:26 AM   #5
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohead View Post
I don't even waste time trying to remove those bolts by wrench. My starting point is always the sawzall.
If my buddy cared about swapping the one upper rear control arm for the one he's got with new bushings in it, I'd go that route. I don't think he cares at this point...
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 07:32 AM   #6
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Remove the driver rear upper and you will see the nut the track bar is bolted through. Cut the head off of the bolt and drive it through.
Unread 05-16-2013, 12:52 PM   #7
FiveNineJeep
1998 ZJ 

I have been stumped on this swap for about a month now, mostly because time hasn't really been on my side.

I could swear I never saw a nut holding that bolt in but I will double check.

The two T-50 bolts holding the control arms in are stuck in place as well, at this point I think those are gonna have to be cut off. A combo of heavy deep creep and hammer time never got them to budge. Beyond that just need to get the brake cables and lines off and I will be good to go with swapping in the new D35.

I am just ready to have this done and have that Jeep roadworthy again.
FiveNineJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 02:48 PM   #8
gearheadnick
1997 ZJ 

If you have room, try using a 2 jaw puller on the control arm bolts. You might need another bolt to drive the stuck one out, but it's worth a shot.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.