Stuck Brake Rotor (Rear) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Stuck Brake Rotor (Rear)

Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 05-17-2009, 11:51 AM   #1
bkloos
2002 WJ 

Stuck Brake Rotor (Rear)

Hey Guys,

I'm replacing the rear rotors and pads today. I have the jeep (2002 WJ) up, whelles off, calipers free and I cant get the damn rotor to come off??? I've tried whacking with a hammer (smallish hammer) but no luck.

Am I missing something here? There are no additional fasteners to remove, correct?

Do I need to get a sledge or small torch?

The rotors are old, and presumable rusted to the hub. Hmm, thoughts?

Thanks,

Bryan

2002 WJ 4.7 HO, Quadra-Drive - 191K, Kolak 3" Exhaust - Akebono Calipers - Stillen Drilled/Slotted Rotors - Up Country Springs - Billstein Shocks - Alpine CD 123 - Boston Acoustics Pro60SE Front - Boston Acoustics SR65 Rear - Alpine MVR F400 - Alpine MRV T500 - Siuius/XM Reciever - Dual Alpine XR12 in Sealed Enclosure
bkloos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2009, 12:07 PM   #2
rooster51
1997 ZJ 

never had to do it myself, luckely, but Ive read here that hitting it (not hard) with a rubber or plastic mallet, or a piece of wood. no direct contact with rotor and metal hammers, assuming youve removed ALL bolts.
rooster51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2009, 01:23 PM   #3
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

You did take the e-brake off right? As long as the e-brake isn't engaged it should come off. It may take a couple of good blows from a deadblow hammer. Try spraying a penetrating spray around the backside of the rotor and tapping it a couple of times with the hammer.

Click this -->Think you can beat me?
StrokedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2009, 01:30 PM   #4
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

When I had a shop install mine, they had a haard time getting them off also. I am sure it was e brake related. I think the e brake self adjusts every time you back up and wears the drum down causing a grove that the pads sit in.

As to how to release pressure I do not know.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time to do it over.

Lifetime member #13

www.militaryjeepers.com lifetime member/airforce26yrs

2011 Tango/Mango JKU
michiganmaveric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2009, 02:22 PM   #5
Ewout_vB
1995 ZJ 

I'm currently having the same issue right now too... not sure what to do yet. Currently I'm traveling but I'll have to look at it again when I'm back in 2 weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmaveric View Post
When I had a shop install mine, they had a haard time getting them off also. I am sure it was e brake related. I think the e brake self adjusts every time you back up and wears the drum down causing a grove that the pads sit in.

As to how to release pressure I do not know.
Does anyone know a nice guide or some pictures to show how? Next time I take a hammer and a flame to it I want to make sure the e-brake is released first to make sure that isn't causing it (which I'm pretty sure of but that 1% chance that I permanently break the ebrake would be silly).
Ewout_vB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2009, 02:40 PM   #6
Ewout_vB
1995 ZJ 

http://www.daihatsu.org/jeep/emergency-brake-shoes.html

Quote:
If you've released the emergency brake (or use the lockout spring on the e-brake handle), the rotor should fall off with minimal effort, unless your emergency brake shoes are too far extended (use the star adjuster to retract them) or the rotor is RUSTED to the wheel hub. Spray some WD-40 around the five wheel hub bolts to "soak in" behind the rotor. You'll need to insert a small bolt through one of the caliper mounting bracket holes (and a nut between the mounting bracket and the rotor surface). Due to the dust shield surrounding the REAR rotors, you can only fit a 1/4" hex bolt through the caliper mounting bracket holes (so be careful not to shear the bolt in half by tightening it too rapidly). Tighten the bolt down until you hear the rusted area crack loose, then turn the rotor a few inches and re-tighten until you evenly break the rust across the entire wheel hub surface. Try to keep the bolt from gouging the rotor surface (unless you're planning to replace the rotors, too). This trick is easier on the front rotors, where you can use a more substantial hex bolt because there's no dust shield obstructing the caliper mounting bracket.
Not a bad idea if you're dumping the rotors -- I think i'm going to try this unless someone else has a better idea.

It also knows how to release the e-brake via the adjustment...

Quote:
Loosen brake shoes with the star adjuster
Remove the star adjuster rubber dust cover if you haven't already (this picture is actually sideways - the dust cover is near the BOTTOM of the dust shield). Use a screwdriver or angled brake adjuster tool to turn the adjuster "up" (ie: push towards the top of the adjuster) to retract the shoes (picture of the star adjuster is below).

We can't remove the dust shield yet since the rotor is on but you can see in the 2nd picture what it looks like. Just turn the rod by pushing on the top teeth to loosen it.

Last edited by Ewout_vB; 05-17-2009 at 04:55 PM..
Ewout_vB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2009, 02:56 PM   #7
dels383ta
1996 ZJ 

You are changing the rotors right? Get a BFH and hit it hard, dont really matter where, just not on the studs,if you hit hard enough it will come loose, you may have to hit it a few time but it will come.
Rubicon Express 3.5",5.2 Swap,LP10K Superwinch/7/16 syn line,RE Adj Track Bar and Drop Bracket,Hercules Trail Digges 33x12.50, D Windows ,HI Lift,Custom built Rad Support,D44 Rear w/ spool,HP30Aussie Locked , Alloy USA Tube seals, Custom rear bumper,More to come.
dels383ta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2009, 12:24 PM   #8
bkloos
2002 WJ 

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the advice. I went out and bought a 4lb hammer and a small torch. Some heat and a few good whacks and she loosened up. It was a clear case of rotor rusting to the hub. All my small hammer would do was knock out small pieces of rust, but not enough weight to knock it loose.

Even with teh cost of the hammer and torch, I'm way ahead of Midas or the stealership. Plus, now I have a BFH for future beatings!!!!

Thanks!

Bryan
2002 WJ 4.7 HO, Quadra-Drive - 191K, Kolak 3" Exhaust - Akebono Calipers - Stillen Drilled/Slotted Rotors - Up Country Springs - Billstein Shocks - Alpine CD 123 - Boston Acoustics Pro60SE Front - Boston Acoustics SR65 Rear - Alpine MVR F400 - Alpine MRV T500 - Siuius/XM Reciever - Dual Alpine XR12 in Sealed Enclosure
bkloos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2009, 01:03 PM   #9
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloos View Post
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the advice. I went out and bought a 4lb hammer and a small torch. Some heat and a few good whacks and she loosened up. It was a clear case of rotor rusting to the hub. All my small hammer would do was knock out small pieces of rust, but not enough weight to knock it loose.

Even with teh cost of the hammer and torch, I'm way ahead of Midas or the stealership. Plus, now I have a BFH for future beatings!!!!

Thanks!

Bryan
BFH saves the day.
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2009, 02:04 PM   #10
WiLieR
1999 WJ 

Had the same issue on our 99. I applied my shop motto, "If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer", and all was well.

I put a thin coating of anti-seize inside the rotor where it contacts the axle flange in hopes it will make it easier to remove the rotors in the future.
Unread 05-19-2009, 02:16 PM   #11
gatorayde
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJoshxx View Post
BFH saves the day.
Once again proving that all you need to fix things is a BFH and some duct tape
gatorayde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 05:00 PM   #12
henrygeorge
1999 WJ 

uh, i broke a lug nut bolt loose
henrygeorge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #13
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrygeorge View Post
uh, i broke a lug nut bolt loose
it happens

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/b...cement-994897/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.