stuck brake caliber? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > stuck brake caliber?

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 10-16-2013, 07:55 PM   #1
ieattacos
1993 ZJ 

stuck brake caliber?

Ok recently installed new hub bearings assemblys on front also noticed caliber bolt got stripped in steering knuckle, sooo fixed that with heli coil and new hardware kit, now the noise i get when coming to a stop is like or coasting to a stop sounds like a stuck caliber, my question is this common i have a 93 zj 5.2

ieattacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 08:12 PM   #2
98GCLimited
1998 ZJ 

Make sure your dust shield isnt rubbing on the brake rotor at all. I had thought I had a stuck caliper on the drivers rear recently and it turned out to be the dust shield rubbing on the rotor slightly. Could be as simple as that and worth checking out just pull the wheel off and take the caliper off and pull the rotor and check for any rub marks on the dust shield and rotor. It was a very small spot on mine that I almost missed seeing while checking it out.

Oddly enough the rubbing or dragging noise was worst after hitting the brakes, thats why I thought the caliper was stuck and dragging the pads on the rotor.
98GCLimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 08:23 PM   #3
ieattacos
1993 ZJ 

Thanks 98 but there are no dust gaurds on both side guess the PO didnt care for them or? ?? Ya pretty sure its the caliber cause when i hit the brakes the sound gets gone thought it was the hub bearings but nope sound stayed whn i n stalled thinking bout new pads n rotors but havent yet cause they look fine
Unread 10-16-2013, 08:37 PM   #4
98GCLimited
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieattacos View Post
Thanks 98 but there are no dust gaurds on both side guess the PO didnt care for them or? ?? Ya pretty sure its the caliber cause when i hit the brakes the sound gets gone thought it was the hub bearings but nope sound stayed whn i n stalled thinking bout new pads n rotors but havent yet cause they look fine
Ahh ya that sucks then I dont know what to tell ya.
98GCLimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 09:38 PM   #5
ieattacos
1993 ZJ 

Thanks for tryn buddy
Unread 10-16-2013, 10:02 PM   #6
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

If the caliper is stuck , you will usually notice a pull when braking , and definitely a lot more heat coming off that wheel . Could the brake pads be worn uneven from the bolt issue ? Little warp in the rotor maybe ?
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 10:14 PM   #7
ieattacos
1993 ZJ 

Both rotor n pads seemed fine but really wasnt looking for it whn torn down. Just hope its not the front diff..... i no theres plenty oil but maybe time to change n inspection
Unread 10-16-2013, 10:38 PM   #8
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

You also may want to check your 20 year-old caliper hoses to make sure one isn't collapsing causing the caliper to stick/not release. I had to replace them on my 93 XJ not too long ago. You could have also weakened one when you had the calipers hung out of the way when you replaced your front bearing assemblies. Not sure how old your calipers are but I replace them about every time I install new rotors/pads since rebuilt ones are cheap enough. Feel your hubs after driving and see if one is putting out a lot more heat, as already mentioned, where the caliper may be sticking.

For your sake hope it isn't your front differential. Good luck!

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 10:39 PM   #9
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

There's a few things it could be , bear in mind , I have no sound to go by . CV's , u-joint in the front drive shaft , carrier bearings , and maybe even the spider gears . Even if it is the diff , sounds like it's just starting to be an issue . Not too likely it's gonna break on you very soon . Just poke around , see what you can see , try a drive w/o the frt DS , check t-case output for play and frt pinion for play and also for play in spider gears , expect some , they are not perfect . You can even check the backlashe off the pinion yoke wit a magnetic dial indicator . Not precise , but , will see a problem if one is there
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 10:44 PM   #10
ieattacos
1993 ZJ 

WOW both very good replys guys add those to my list Thanks
Unread 10-17-2013, 09:41 PM   #11
jabba974
1996 ZJ 

I would also look at the brake hose...I worked in a parts store for 12 years and never ran into this myself, but just a few months ago, i had the same issue with my Dodge Ram, and went to change out the caliper and it pushed right in after I took the hose off... The only other thing I would look at is if the caliper bolt you repaired was installed straight and is not binding the caliper...
jabba974 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.