strong gas smell on startup - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 08-30-2010, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Candymancan
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

strong gas smell on startup

My mom's Jeep i noticed has a strong gas smell when its started up. Like if you have the key turned so the power is on and leave it there for a few minutes and turn the car on the exhaust has a powerfull gasoline smell and after that its fine. I usually have to turn the power on and let it sit for 10-15 seconds before i start the engine because if i dont it will take like 5 seconds to start.

Any idea's ?

Also im not sure if the gas needle is working right... I turn the car off and before i do i will have say half a tank exactly.. I come back a few hours later and when i turn it on it says i have a little less then half of a tank. Then a few minutes later it seems to be ok, but then the gas gauge seems to go down fast as i drive like im getting poor MPG but i know im not.. The other day i drove only 200 miles with a full tank, and before i filled it back up i have maybe 5 gallons left.. Telling me i was getting 11 MPG which cant be right.... Cause when i actually tested MPG by filling the tank up after i drove i got around 17, and this is what the computer says too..

I dont see any leaks under the car, the engine doesnt stink.. Under the car doesnt smell.. so i dunno

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-30-2010, 11:19 PM
Breathe
1996 ZJ 

You're not getting 17 mpg if you go 200 miles on 18 gallons. That's more like 11, like what your computer is telling you. As for your gas gauge, it determines the level of gas with a little floating dealy, so as you can imagine it's not extremely accurate. You probably aren't going to see any leaks under the vehicle unless it's a heavy flow or dripping because the gas will evaporate before it hits the ground. As for the smell, I don't know the answer to that, I'm having the same issue myself
post #3 of 9 Old 08-30-2010, 11:27 PM
NoVaHunter
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Well when your key is in that position the fuel pump primes. Sounds like is continuosly priming or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHoff90 View Post
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

post #4 of 9 Old 09-13-2010, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Candymancan
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

Yea i dunno what the problem is. The car stinks sometimes. Maybe its just the exhaust emissions im smelling and thinking its gasoline because i know these Jeeps do have a stinky exhaust for the most part at least when i drive behind one i can smell it sorta.

However it also seems like my gas mileage is suffering also. According to the computer im still getting 17mpg average. According to the needle im getting like 13, altho the needle also seems to be going bad. Like when you turn the car on it will be lower then it was the night you turned it off.. Then if you keep flicking the key on and off (for the power) the gas needle will be higher, then lower again. Sometimes rarely it will sit on empty and go up very slowely. Just yesturday the needle was above the quarter mark by a little. Today when i turn the car on this morning its below the quarter mark and i only drove about 20 miles yesturday which should have used around 1 1/2 gallons, but the needle is saying i used closer to 3 gallons

I dunno i sware when i started driving the car 2-3 months ago i did a real test on gas mileage, filled the tank up drove it about 80 miles filled it back up and according to that math i got 19mpg. Now it seems more like 13 or something and i havent changed my driving.. I checked for leaks and i couldnt smell or find any i dunno..
post #5 of 9 Old 09-13-2010, 08:07 AM
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

depending on year and motor (fill out your profile please), very well could be an EGR problem or a vacuum leak
post #6 of 9 Old 09-13-2010, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Candymancan
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

98 gc 4.0
post #7 of 9 Old 09-13-2010, 09:46 AM
JrMechanic
1993 ZJ 

If there's a strong fuel smell upon start up I would take a good look at the injectors. One or more may be dripping raw fuel into the engine.

Want to swap an NP242 or NP231 into your ZJ? Here's how:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-13-2010, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Candymancan
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrMechanic View Post
If there's a strong fuel smell upon start up I would take a good look at the injectors. One or more may be dripping raw fuel into the engine.

How do i take the injector out ? And how do i check if its dripping ?
post #9 of 9 Old 09-13-2010, 08:44 PM
freakinheep89
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candymancan View Post
How do i take the injector out ? And how do i check if its dripping ?
remove the bolts that secure the fuel rail and remove the fuel rail with the injectors, they just pop out. make sure to get the o rings out too, you will need them to re install. once you have them out, make sure the injectors are all tight in the fuel rail(some will stay in the intake when you pull the rail off, just pop them out of the intake and back into the rail). once they are all in the rail, with all the connectors plugged in, get in and turn the key on but do not start the engine. if any of the injectors drip fuel they are bad

TJ-
95 ZJ 5.2- D30/XJ shafts/D35 Yukon alloys,249, 2"BB, 30x9.5"Wildcat EXT,lots of motor mods, rancho shocks & stabilizer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayercr23 View Post
How would i go about Stroking it?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.