Strange vibrations - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Strange vibrations

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 08-18-2002, 11:35 AM   #1
wadger

Strange vibrations

My 1995 GC is making some strange shimmies. If I rev the engine up to around 1250 rpms in park, the vehicle vibrates quite a bit - you can especially feel the vibration through the steering wheel. If its just idling or if I rev the engine over 2000 rpms, the vibration isn't noticeable. The same thing happens on the highway, if I'm around 1250-1500 rpms I feel the shudder. If I accelerate over that, or let my foot off the gas the vibration goes away. I really don't have much mechanical experience, but I think I can eliminate the vibration coming from the suspension and wheels. Is this correct? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

wadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2002, 07:14 PM   #2
wadger

Bob J,

Alright, from what I can tell there are three mounts that I should be concerned with - right and left engine mount and a rear (transmission?) mount. I examined the engine while it was idling and I couldn't see any play in the left (driver side) mount. The right side seemed to be shaking (front to back) with about 1/8" - maybe a hair more of play. The transmission mount didn't seem to be moving. When I had someone sit in the cab and rev the engine to about 1250 rpms (where the vibration can be felt the most through the steering wheel) I couldn't see any play in any of the mounts. The engine doesn't seem to be moving around suspiciously. I did notice that the transfer case and the drive shaft leading back to the rear differential were wobbling with maybe 1/2" of play when idling, but were pretty still while the engine was revved. I checked the service manual and sure enough it said that damaged engine and transmission support mounts were most likely the culprit since the vibration was only engine speed sensitive. However, it also listed engine driven accessories (possibly loose brackets on these accessories) as a possible
problem.

I'm really not sure how to examine the mounts further without removing them. Is this warranted?
wadger is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.