Strange noise with new starter on 1993 ZJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Strange noise with new starter on 1993 ZJ

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 07-18-2012, 11:18 AM   #1
FREFLO
1993 ZJ 

Strange noise with new starter on 1993 ZJ

Hi there!
I just changed the starter on my zj. it does starts now, but it makes a grinding sound while starting the car. Is it because i used a cheap aftermarket starter?, or did i messed up something at the installation (if it is possible)?.
The old starter looked fine, good teeth, just died by old i guess.
Any ideas what would be?
thanks!

FREFLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2012, 12:23 PM   #2
gactech
1998 ZJ 

Was there shims on the old starter? You may need to shim the new starter. Google has a few good links about it. And the new starter could be bad.
gactech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 08:36 AM   #3
FREFLO
1993 ZJ 

Strange noise with new starter on 1993 ZJ

Update: i have done nothing to the starter, and 6 months later there is very little sound. Near to oem starter sound.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
FREFLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 03:31 PM   #4
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Its probly a crappy starter you bought.. I dont think Jeeps need shims on the starters like other cars do.
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
starter , zj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.