Strange loss of Power...need help diagnosing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Strange loss of Power...need help diagnosing

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsLabor Day Sale!

Unread 10-30-2009, 07:02 AM   #1
atomicflatulenc
1985 CJ7 

Strange loss of Power...need help diagnosing

I've been having an issue lately with my 96 4.0L ZJ.

When I go over small bumps in the road, I sometimes lose engine power.

I need to find a direction to start from. Sensors maybe?

The only other time it will do the wierd thing is after I drive the 30 minutes at about 45...park and pick up my son...when I first accelerate it starts to go for a second and then nothing...I have to let up on the gas and then push the peddle back down to start accelerating again.

I've tried just keeping the peddle pressed and the ZJ just hesitates and won't go until I let up on the gas and try agian.

Weird...

Tell me someone has had this issue! Help!

'85 CJ7, 258 4.2 Howell TBI, NP435, twin sticked Dana300, 4.56 Yukon chromoly: Rear20-extra thick tubes, shaved,trussed,discbrakes,ARB: Front30- flipped tierod,Detroit EZ locker, warn hubs: 3.5" BDS YJ springs and booster, 35" Trxus M/T's, rhino'd, full roll cage, borgenson steering shaft, big daddy steering box bracket...Unknown OIL Leak(working on it...)
FOR SALE $6000
atomicflatulenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2009, 07:20 AM   #2
4Slow9erHybrid
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicflatulenc View Post
I've been having an issue lately with my 96 4.0L ZJ.

I need to find a direction to start from. Sensors maybe?

The only other time it will do the wierd thing is after I drive the 30 minutes at about 45...park and pick up my son...when I first accelerate it starts to go for a second and then nothing...I have to let up on the gas and then push the peddle back down to start accelerating again.

I've tried just keeping the peddle pressed and the ZJ just hesitates and won't go until I let up on the gas and try agian.

Weird...

Tell me someone has had this issue! Help!
Try disconnecting the upstream O2 sensor (the one before the catalytic converter). Drive around for a few days and see if these symptoms disappear. If they do, you need a new GENUINE MOPAR sensor!!! Don't experiment with Bosch and other brands. The 4.0 is very picky about the O2 sensor. Remember, disconnecting the sensor is a test, not a cure! Don't plan on any 1000mi road trips with disconnected sensor.
1997 JGC Laredo 4.0 4x4 99900mi * 0W30 German Castrol since 75k * 225/75/R15 Firestone Destination AT on Ravine rims * winter 235/75/R15 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 * UC suspension * Monroe Reflex Monotube shocks * factory skids * KOR steering brace * rear Addco SB * Magnaflow cat and cat back system * complete 5.9 interior
4Slow9erHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2009, 07:34 AM   #3
atomicflatulenc
1985 CJ7 

Do I need to get the MOPAR sensor from a dealer?

I did change the sensor back in june with a NAPA O2 sensor.
'85 CJ7, 258 4.2 Howell TBI, NP435, twin sticked Dana300, 4.56 Yukon chromoly: Rear20-extra thick tubes, shaved,trussed,discbrakes,ARB: Front30- flipped tierod,Detroit EZ locker, warn hubs: 3.5" BDS YJ springs and booster, 35" Trxus M/T's, rhino'd, full roll cage, borgenson steering shaft, big daddy steering box bracket...Unknown OIL Leak(working on it...)
FOR SALE $6000
Unread 10-30-2009, 07:32 PM   #4
Jeep2k55
2000 WJ 

I have noticed that if you have a leak in your transfer case and you lose fluid, you will also lose alot of power. Happened to me. Found out by accident. Had major power loss...felt gutless. And was doing random maintenance on it and decided to service the TC. Realized it was extremely low on fluid. Filled her back up and took her for a drive and the power was back. Maybe it was unrelated? I don't know for sure but that's my expirience
Jeep2k55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2009, 08:03 PM   #5
JesseOR
1993 ZJ 

Reading the title, I would say Cat, but the symptoms you described, almost rule it out....

www.facebook.com/jesse.whitehargrove
JesseOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2009, 09:13 AM   #6
atomicflatulenc
1985 CJ7 

What cat... The only cat might be dead under the hood.
FOR SALE $6000
Unread 10-31-2009, 09:27 AM   #7
JesseOR
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
What cat... The only cat might be dead under the hood.
Sooo, am I to gather from this that you cut out the CATYLITIC converter?

Because a clogged CAT will result in massive power loss.

www.facebook.com/jesse.whitehargrove
JesseOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2009, 09:44 AM   #8
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Try gently wiggling PCM connectors while engine running cold and see if you get hestitation.

Also try gently tapping the fuel pump, ASD, and tranny relays in the fuse box under the hood.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2009, 09:59 AM   #9
atomicflatulenc
1985 CJ7 

Cat was all broken up inside and clogged. Its not anymore...

I need a babysitter, or I'll never get this solved!
FOR SALE $6000
Unread 05-18-2010, 08:38 AM   #10
atomicflatulenc
1985 CJ7 

still having trouble with this and its getting worse...
FOR SALE $6000
Unread 05-18-2010, 12:16 PM   #11
murphydajeep
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Try gently wiggling PCM connectors while engine running cold and see if you get hestitation.

Also try gently tapping the fuel pump, ASD, and tranny relays in the fuse box under the hood.
I would think loose connection too, if it happens when your hittin a bump it could be jostling your connector around just enough to mess it up for a second. If it was a clogged cat wouldnt it be a consistent loss of power, almost sounds like your having a fuel delivery issue....bad map sensor, dirty intake?

When all else fails bust out the hammer and start hitting things that look like they are givin you the eye, swearing helps too, Percussive maintenance ftw.
murphydajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2010, 07:19 PM   #12
classicmetalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphydajeep View Post

When all else fails bust out the hammer and start hitting things that look like they are givin you the eye, swearing helps too, Percussive maintenance ftw.
Too funny I'd lean towards a loose connector somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphydajeep View Post
I say you should still hit something just to let it know you mean business, or shake a hammer at it in a menacing fashion
classicmetalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2010, 08:27 PM   #13
rooster51
1997 ZJ 

Im thinking, in no specific order, PCM or coil or CPS or any combination of the 3.
Happy hunting!
Unread 05-19-2010, 07:12 AM   #14
atomicflatulenc
1985 CJ7 

Replaced the cap, rotor, plugs and wires last night. No issues on the test drive, and no issues for the 40 minute round trip to the babysitter's.

Not gonna say its fixed yet. Maybe if I go a week without a powerloss I'll say its fixed.
FOR SALE $6000
Unread 05-19-2010, 09:23 AM   #15
murphydajeep
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Replaced the cap, rotor, plugs and wires last night. No issues on the test drive, and no issues for the 40 minute round trip to the babysitter's.

Not gonna say its fixed yet. Maybe if I go a week without a powerloss I'll say its fixed.
I say you should still hit something just to let it know you mean business, or shake a hammer at it in a menacing fashion
murphydajeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.