Strange groaning/creaking noise when turning 94 GC - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Strange groaning/creaking noise when turning 94 GC

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3

Unread 11-03-2009, 10:21 AM   #1
wetzelgw
1994 ZJ 

Strange groaning/creaking noise when turning 94 GC

Hi everyone,

I bought a '94 Grand Cherokee Limited about a month and a half ago, and I'm still getting accustomed to it...trying to figure out what's normal and what isn't. One of the things I'm noticing is almost like a groaning/creaking noise coming from the back when I turn. It doesn't do it all the time- usually I only hear it when pulling in or out of parking places at low speed. Is this normal? I've tried searching this forum, but most of what I've found deals with clicking noises or groaning from the front end, which isn't what I'm hearing. Any ideas on what it likely is/how to fix it?

Thanks

wetzelgw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2009, 11:23 AM   #2
gunner454
1993 ZJ 

Perhaps the PO changed the diff fluid and didn't add the LS additive. I had the same issue and as it turns out LS specific gear lube does not necessarily have the additive it needs. I made that mistake and once i put the additive in, the noise went away. Not really confident on the inner workins of an LS diff but what i've been told is that with out the additive the clutch packs will rub and chatter and make all sorts of weird noises. And it only happened a low speed making tight turns (i.e. parking lots)
gunner454 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2009, 01:43 PM   #3
wetzelgw
1994 ZJ 

That is interesting. I would have assumed LS specific gear lube would have the additive it needs. I bought the car with impression that the PO was not a hands on type, so I'm guessing he did not change it. However, he said the GC had been sitting for about six months, so it is possible the fluid is low. I will check the diff fluid when I get a chance. If that is the case, can I get the correct diff fluid at a standard parts shop (i.e. Autozone), or would I need to go to a Jeep dealer? Thanks for the suggestion.
Unread 11-03-2009, 01:51 PM   #4
Travis873o
1996 ZJ 

your zj's have limited slip?

thought only the wj's and the 5.9s had limited slip
Built not Bought #170
My build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...hread-1295705/
FOR SALE: ZJ 231 bezel,
PM me if you need one.
Travis873o is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2009, 02:30 PM   #5
wetzelgw
1994 ZJ 

Well I just checked the specs, and no, apparently they do not. I was just going off what gunner posted. Could the diff fluid still be causing my groaning?
Unread 11-05-2009, 11:01 AM   #6
gunner454
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis873o View Post
your zj's have limited slip?

thought only the wj's and the 5.9s had limited slip
You are correct, but as stated in the FSM... "Lubricant for Model 35 axle with Trailer Tow and Trac-Lok: SAE 75W-140 SYNTHETIC gear lubricant with friction modifier."

Which, when i looked through the local stores the only gear lubes that had those specs were the LS specifc lubes. So that was my mistake. I just re-read my post and realized that i said it was LS additive, not friction modifier. I had just been talking with my buddy about his LS axle and was still in that mode of think.

But, as to the OP, when i brought it in to the shop thinking it was a more serious problem they popped the diff cover off and let the fluid drain out and could tell there was no friction modifier in it. They replaced the fluid and put in the friction modifier, no more groaning/vibration. That was my issue, hopefully thats yours too cause its a cheap fix.
gunner454 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.