Strange DW issue (when car gets hot) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Strange DW issue (when car gets hot)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineTruc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Toxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake Line

Unread 07-20-2011, 08:08 AM   #1
svons7
1996 ZJ 

Strange DW issue (when car gets hot)

Hello everyone. i have been reading through quite a few threads and cant seem to be finding anyone that is having the same issue as me when it comes to Dw that i have had twice.
Just so you are aware im driving a 96 zj with 3.5inch F>R suspension lift from IRO. it also has a front adjustable tracbar from them.

I have only dealt with DW two times in this vehicle.
Both times it happened i was stuck in traffic for an hour and it was over 100 degrees outside. At 45 mphs Dw started. Now the first time it happened i pulled over and found that the nut on my adjustable trac bar had come loose. I tightened it and it seemed to help but not fix the issue entriely. After letting the car cool down and driving it later that night, ( for about an hour at 60-70mph) it had no issues at all with dw again. This was about a month or 2 ago.

Yesterday it happened again. I was in the same exact situation, I was sitting in traffic for around an hour or so and in over 100 degree temperatures. DW started harrassing me at around 45mph. i pulled over to check the Tracbar, assuming it had come loose again but it was so tight that i could not move it at all.

I started checking other components around the front end and found that the Passenger side wheel was very hot. the lug nuts were so hot i could not touch them. I have had a a suspicion that my caliper on that side was dragging and i think the high temps might have been causedin part by this.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what else might be causing these high temps on the passenger side wheel? the driver side was pretty warm but no where as close.

Anyways, i drove the rest of the way where i needed to go under 45 and let the car sit for around 5 or 6 hours. I drove it back home that night, a good 50 or so miles at about 65-70mph the whole way and had no issues. When i got home both wheels were very cool to the touch as well.

So my biggest question about the DW is why does it only seem to happen when the car gets extremly hot. One thing i worry about is the wheel bearings on the front passenger side and that they might have gotten too hot and caused some issues and maybe helped to heat up that wheel.
From what i read though that is not a cause of DW. This doesnt happen very often because i rarely drive the jeep in those conditions (traffic for extended periods of time in extreme heat).
FYI - I have NOT had a front end alignment since my lift kit so i know that could potentially be a big factor in this but my main question is then why does it drive fine all the time EXCEPT after it has been sitting in traffic in very hot weather. What component is heating up and causing the DW to start?

If anyone has any experience with a simliar situation, Or just any idea of a general direction for me to start looking in, your input would be greatly appreciated.
- Stephen

Unread 07-20-2011, 08:25 AM   #2
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

The rubber bushings are getting soft when they get hot. Standard phenom, you should be able to notice all vehicles ride a lot softer when temps soar. That's because their suspension bushings are mushy compared to when it's cooler out

Sounds like your bushings are borderline and 100 degrees is the border. Time to move north or replace bushings. A newer bushing with less fatigue will be firmer at all temperatures.

However this week, not sure moving north would do ya much good.
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 08:42 AM   #3
svons7
1996 ZJ 

lol yea probably cheaper to get the bushing than to move anyways. Ok That is exactly what i needed to hear. Thanks for the info. So for the bushings are you talking about the ones on the control arms? sway bar links? all of them? which ones specifically are more likely to cause this issue? do you recommend any higher quality ones? Thanks again - Stephen
Unread 07-20-2011, 10:29 AM   #4
svons7
1996 ZJ 

okay, for an update on this issue. I was driving this morning for about 5 mins down the highway and everything was driving normal. I hit a small bump and it acted like it was about to DW. this has never happened before and it was only about 80 out today. do you think the bushings might have been compromised yesterday and now they are going to be causing more issues? - Stephen
Unread 07-20-2011, 02:13 PM   #5
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

no, the bushings went to crap when you got DW, where they were borderline before, the ridiculous strain put on them by DW has officially toasted them, replace them before you wear everything else out, including your shiny new trackbar

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.