Strange cooling system behavour - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Strange cooling system behavour

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 01-26-2014, 02:09 PM   #1
eddiebrown
1998 ZJ 

Strange cooling system behavour

Hello Folks,

I own a 98 XJ grand cherokee V8 5.8L. I replaced the radiator in the summer because of a pin hole leak and it has been running fine up to a couple days ago. Now the thing is making all sorts of strange noises, for example when I am driving I can hear water running and it sounds like it is coming from the passenger side dashboard. Anyways in addition to the noise it was over heating again or the gauge was displaying that it was over heating. The gauge was jumping around and I was hearing even more weird noises coming from the passenger side dashboard. Almost like a blow off valve for steam. I got home and waited for the truck to cool down. After it cools down I started it up and started adding some coolant to the system. To my shock I was able to add almost 12 liters of coolant/water mix. So mystery solved of why it was over heating. After I added the coolant and sealed off the system it was not overheating anymore but I could hear the water running from the passenger side dashboard even more.
Anyways I get home from my outing and notice a little bit of coolant dripping under neath the truck, however the weather is sloppy to say the least and it is difficult to tell where the leak is coming from. I am looking for some advice in how to troubleshoot this and also looking for advice on what the cause may be. I am pretty savvy when it comes to my vehicle but this one has me stumped. Is it possible that the excess coolant is coming form the over flow? That maybe I added way to much. or is there a greater issue somewhere near the firewall and coolant is pissing out near there? It doesn't seem to be coming from the rad or any hoses.

Thanks is advanced,
Eddie

eddiebrown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2014, 02:39 PM   #2
landude
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like the heater core, is the passenger side floor swimming in coolant?
The coolant is going someplace. If it's not on the floor check your oil and see what it looks like or if it is
overly full...
landude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2014, 03:18 PM   #3
eddiebrown
1998 ZJ 

It's definitely not going into the passenger seat, how would it go into the oil?
I was just outside and fired the beast up. I found that it is leaking out the bottom from somewhere but its hard to determine because the fan is spraying it everywhere. I believe it is coming out of the bottom of the fan housing.
This sounds like an expensive fix.

Last edited by eddiebrown; 01-26-2014 at 03:47 PM..
eddiebrown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2014, 03:40 PM   #4
landude
1999 XJ Cherokee 

If it wasn't going into the passenger side and nothing underneath
then that would indicate something internal. Which would probably put coolant into your oil
or oil into your coolant. The wet floor says heater core.
Till you can get one or get it replace you can bypass it so you don't lose coolant and over heat..
Not sure how the v8 is set up but there are probably two hoses coming off the engine and going over
to the passenger side fire wall..
Sooner then later you're going to want to download or pick up a service manual.
landude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2014, 04:06 PM   #5
bobthecatkiller
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Maybe try the zj section?
me: yaaaaa.
bobthecatkiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2014, 04:49 PM   #6
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

I moved this thread to the Grand Cherokee forum section where your fellow ZJ drivers can best assist.
Good luck with the jeep!

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
VOTE for the Rocktober Cherokee Of The Month!!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.