Straight Driveshaft swap. CV to U-Joint. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Straight Driveshaft swap. CV to U-Joint.

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 04-09-2012, 05:35 PM   #1
seanom
1997 ZJ 

Straight Driveshaft swap. CV to U-Joint.

I have been reading every post I can about this over the last few days, I know alot of people have made this swap but I rarely see what model they have found it off of. Just wondering if people could post where they got their DS's from.I would like to get one from a place that will pull it for me so I can just swing by and grab it instead of hunting.

I need to swap a CV DS from a 1997 5.2 V8 249 TC. but I think a list would be good for others too.

Iv'e read one comment where someone got one from an xj, but would a 97 ZJ 4.0 have the same measurements as the 5.2?

Thanks, sorry if this seems common, but instead of reading through abunch of chatter I thought a page of straight swaps would be good. Should only take you 2 secs to punch that in.

TLDR: where did you grab your Double Cardan 'U-joint' Front driveshaft from to swap the CV out?

seanom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2013, 04:53 PM   #2
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Did you ever find this out, I need to replace my driveshaft ASAP.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2013, 06:08 PM   #3
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I got mine from a pull a part. I measured my cv shaft to be around 31" and grabbed a u jointed shaft for 25 bucks off a 93 ZJ roughly the same length. Bolted right in after the yoke swap.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2013, 06:23 PM   #4
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Yeh, I really don't have the tools to do the yoke swap, and the yards around here are uncharacteristically short on zj's atm, I blame the weather, California tried to have winter this year.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2013, 10:51 AM   #5
mrdrmike
1997 ZJ 

Hey everyone, newbie here and also my first Jeep!
I have a weird question, my 1997 zj front axle has a driver side CV shaft and a U joint passenger shaft.
So which is factory? i can't seem to find the answer. The driver side CV is shot, and need to get a new one. which is the better shaft? stronger, last longer?

Sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask on.
Mike
mrdrmike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2013, 11:00 AM   #6
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Most likely the CV was stock but who knows. CV's are plenty strong and are smoother for street driving. U joints are trail fixable where as a trail repair on a blown CV has a very slim chance. Honestly for me it would come down to price.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cv , drive shaft , driveshaft , swap , u-joint

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.