Stock Hitch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Stock Hitch

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-15-2013, 08:30 AM   #1
alyman85
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

Stock Hitch

I was wondering what class the stock Grand hitch was, and if there were recommendations for after-market hitches. Unfortunately I can't wait for the recall to get a free one, I need it to move stuff now. Junkyard hitch or aftermarket?

alyman85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 08:48 AM   #2
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

stock hitches were class III/IV
i had a reese hitch, but it hung too low for me, i was afraid it would get caught on something offroad. i replaced it with a stock hitch from the junkyard. actually made money too, the junkyard hitch only cost $25, and i sold the reese hitch for $75.
Unread 07-15-2013, 12:11 PM   #3
alyman85
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

I've got a 94, were the hitches the same across all years, or 93-95/96-98 specific?
Unread 07-15-2013, 12:42 PM   #4
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

they're all the same. etrailer.com shows the same part numbers across the board.
Unread 07-15-2013, 10:01 PM   #5
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

Junkyard. Install it to do the work, then when you get notice on the recall, either take it off and get the new one - OR have the dealer inspect it and Possably replace it.
eagsc7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2013, 12:45 PM   #6
alyman85
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

That's exactly what I was thinking. Get one for like $40, wire it up as simply as possible, and then take it off for the recall and let them give me a nice shiny new one with fancy wiring.
Unread 07-16-2013, 01:07 PM   #7
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyman85 View Post
That's exactly what I was thinking. Get one for like $40, wire it up as simply as possible, and then take it off for the recall and let them give me a nice shiny new one with fancy wiring.
i highly doubt they will give us the wiring too. im sure they'd be happy to install it, but you will pay for it.
Unread 07-16-2013, 01:20 PM   #8
alyman85
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

I was wondering that. Doesn't etrailer sell some pretty easy to install wiring harnesses? Or what's the best way to get it done?
Unread 07-16-2013, 02:35 PM   #9
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

etrailer has the t harness ones. i had one, after 3 months the module fried itself. couldve caught my jeep on fire, but i smelled smoke and disconnected the battery. when i contacted tow ready (company that makes the harness) they basically told me i probably installed it wrong and they couldnt help me. i didnt even get to use the damn thing! theres 50 bucks down the toilet. i ended up going to the junkyard and found factory wiring from a ZJ. i went to the junkyard late in the day right before closing, and when i got up to the front, the guy told me the registers were already shut down, so he let me take it for nothing! super easy to install and it gave me a 7 way, rather than a flat 4 with the tow ready harness. the factory harness runs to the passenger side and goes in thru a hole in the floor inside the passenger side interior panel in the trunk area. it plugs in to the relay set (grab that from the junkyard too if you dont already have it) and the relay set plugs into the main wiring harness. the plug will be there regardless of if your jeep came with trailer tow or not.
Unread 07-19-2013, 02:31 PM   #10
alyman85
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

There's video for the etrailer harness install online that shows the harness wired directly to the battery. On the factory harness is this necessary? Also does the wiring for a 96-98 match the 93-95?
Unread 07-19-2013, 04:20 PM   #11
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

i believe the factory wiring is 93-95. 96+ is different
Unread 07-22-2013, 11:40 AM   #12
alyman85
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

Ok. Does anyone know the factory bolt sizes for the weldnuts and studs? I've seen M14, but that seems to be too big. I can get a 7/16 started, but I'm wondering if maybe it is an M12? I will probably need to tap the hole so the hole size would be a good thing to know haha.
Unread 07-22-2013, 11:42 AM   #13
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

i dont think they had wellnuts for the hitch. at least on mine they arent. mine has bolts that come out of the frame.
Unread 07-22-2013, 11:48 AM   #14
alyman85
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

I've got 2 studs and one wellnut on each side for the hitch. Do you know the size nut you used on the bolts?
Unread 07-22-2013, 02:43 PM   #15
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

just went out and looked. mine is the same. the thread size for the well nut should be M12 1.75 pitch.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.