stock exhaust hitting 8.8 what can I do? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > stock exhaust hitting 8.8 what can I do?

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 03-24-2013, 07:16 PM   #1
offroadjeep4x4
1997 ZJ 

stock exhaust hitting 8.8 what can I do?

so I'm 75% done with my 8.8 swap, did some quick searches and couldn't find anything since most swaps were on lifted rigs. Mine is all stock suspension, and stock pipes and the tailpipe right at the first upwards bend just out of the muffler is hitting the 8.8 on the flange where the 3 bolt holes are beside the pinion.

I know I could just replace the muffler with something else, which I plan to later as the baffles inside are rattling, but I've been strapped for cash lately and this thing is sucking more and more out of me, plus I have limited time cause of kids and crazy work schedule. At this point I'm thinking I will just let it go and drive it dealing with the banging and rattling for now.

Did anyone else encounter this exhaust issue with the 8.8 swap in their ZJ?

offroadjeep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2013, 11:27 PM   #2
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

may i ask, why are you doing an 8.8 swap on a stock rig? did your rear end blow up or something?
Unread 03-24-2013, 11:35 PM   #3
Taz360ZJ

Cut that flat piece off with a cut off wheel. I thought I was going to have that problem w my 5.9 but mine clears it.
Unread 03-25-2013, 04:46 PM   #4
sskilla
1995 ZJ 

you could cut the pipe after the muffler and throw a short turn down on it. install a new hanger that holds at the turn down.

i haven't done the 8.8 yet but i did modify my exhaust with this trick and it doesn't reach the rear axle.

good luck man
[SIZE="1"][B]'95 ZJ:[/B] 5.2 v8 / 249 > 242 > 231 Tcase swap / 46RH / 3.5" IRO + 1.5" pucks / IRO Adj Front Lower CA's / IRO Double Shear Adj Track Bar / 33" BFG KM2's / JKS Quicker Disco's / IRO rear end links / Kegger Mod / Super 44 Flowmaster / Novak Cable Shifter / Kevins Radiator Support / JKS Bar pin eliminators / Yukon Chromoly Rear Axles / IRO SS Brake Lines / Stillen cross-drilled rotors / Flowcooler water pump[/SIZE]

[B][I]It's got guts. Jeep guts. Jeep, the toughest four letter word on wheels. F@#% Yeah.[/I][/B]

[size="1"][I]R.I.P. 2000 TJ[/I][/size]
[size="1"][I]R.I.P. '95 YJ[/I][/size]

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="3"][FONT="IMPACT"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/sskillas-build-thread-1408321"][COLOR="Black"]Build Thread[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
sskilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2013, 08:32 PM   #5
offroadjeep4x4
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuccio View Post
may i ask, why are you doing an 8.8 swap on a stock rig? did your rear end blow up or something?
not entirely but yes it was close. the rear was bad when I bought it in october.

It looks stock, but it's not, did a 242 swap, swapped all 3 CV shafts for Ujoint shafts, and had to shorted the rear DS for the 242. All of it was bad when I bout it. Just did most stuff right away to start driving it. I do plan to do a 4.5 LA lift later down the road in a year or 2, so beefing everything now that needs replaced so I don't have to worry about breaking it after I lift it.

Thanks for the tips yall. I think I figured out what I am going to do though, my exhaust is all stock except a Flowtech Terminator muffler that has the stock configuration. Well inside is starting to rattle since it old, so I'll get the same thing again cause I like the sound, but since they are reversable, I'll put it on with the offset as the inlet and the center as the outlet which will pull the pipe away from the axle a couple inches. And to make the inlet match up I'll put a pipe in with 2 bends, like 45* or so that way the pipe will be off to the side of the frame rail so the muffler stays in the same spot.

And the swap is done. Been driving it since sunday nite.
Unread 03-26-2013, 10:30 PM   #6
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadjeep4x4 View Post
not entirely but yes it was close. the rear was bad when I bought it in october.

It looks stock, but it's not, did a 242 swap, swapped all 3 CV shafts for Ujoint shafts, and had to shorted the rear DS for the 242. All of it was bad when I bout it. Just did most stuff right away to start driving it. I do plan to do a 4.5 LA lift later down the road in a year or 2, so beefing everything now that needs replaced so I don't have to worry about breaking it after I lift it.

gotcha
Unread 03-28-2013, 12:54 PM   #7
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

you can also move the exhaust hanger up a bit. i did that to clear it. if you look at your stock hanger rubber gromet thing theres two holes. i jsut put the hanger through the top hole. cleared everything hehe
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2013, 02:22 PM   #8
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadjeep4x4 View Post

Thanks for the tips yall. I think I figured out what I am going to do though, my exhaust is all stock except a Flowtech Terminator muffler that has the stock configuration. Well inside is starting to rattle since it old, so I'll get the same thing again cause I like the sound, but since they are reversable, I'll put it on with the offset as the inlet and the center as the outlet which will pull the pipe away from the axle a couple inches. And to make the inlet match up I'll put a pipe in with 2 bends, like 45* or so that way the pipe will be off to the side of the frame rail so the muffler stays in the same spot.

most mufflers are directional, don't reverse it.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2013, 05:32 PM   #9
offroadjeep4x4
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadjeep4x4

most mufflers are directional, don't reverse it.
Like I said above, Terminators are reversable.

http://www.holley.com/types/Terminator%E2%84%A2.asp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.