stock bumper question. 1998 grand cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > stock bumper question. 1998 grand cherokee

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 11-12-2014, 05:29 PM   #1
ptpdub
1998 ZJ 

stock bumper question. 1998 grand cherokee

is there any metal under the 2 protruding front bumper plastic parts? The parts I am referring to would be the first part to touch something if you were trying to push it with the jeep. What I want to do is mount a home made light bar to them by drilling through the plastic (from the top down) and bolting the metal light bar mounts to the bumper steel. I don't want to pull the bumper cover off or do anything too elaborate. This is only for lights, not a winch or tow hooks. thanks in advance for your time.

ptpdub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2014, 07:17 PM   #2
itiswhatitisxj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I think the bumper end caps have about 4-8 inches of the metal bumper under them. But its flush and continuing with the metal part of the the middle bumper. It doesn't protrude. Don't be lazy, if you're going to take the time to drill into YOUR bumper, you need to take the time to inspect whats under there so YOU can make it happen. It is real easy to take those bumper end caps off. Just do it
itiswhatitisxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2014, 07:49 PM   #3
MJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdub View Post
is there any metal under the 2 protruding front bumper plastic parts? The parts I am referring to would be the first part to touch something if you were trying to push it with the jeep. What I want to do is mount a home made light bar to them by drilling through the plastic (from the top down) and bolting the metal light bar mounts to the bumper steel. I don't want to pull the bumper cover off or do anything too elaborate. This is only for lights, not a winch or tow hooks. thanks in advance for your time.
Nothing but foam under the bumperettes on a ZJ. Further back a metal beam.
Unread 11-12-2014, 08:34 PM   #4
chris87xj

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Welcome to the forum.
I moved this thread to the Grand Cherokee forum section where your fellow ZJ drivers can best assist.
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2014, 08:38 PM   #5
vlackattack
1997 ZJ 

Yeah, there's a good couple inches of foam between that and the metal bumper...
vlackattack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2014, 07:17 AM   #6
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
..or as it is on the Euro- ZJs & WJs (ZG/ WG), there's absolutely nothing inside the front or rear bumpers. They're just an empty plastic shell. Pedestrian safety..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2014, 02:29 PM   #7
ptpdub
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
Welcome to the forum.
I moved this thread to the Grand Cherokee forum section where your fellow ZJ drivers can best assist.

thank you
Unread 11-14-2014, 02:30 PM   #8
ptpdub
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlackattack View Post
Yeah, there's a good couple inches of foam between that and the metal bumper...

ok, on to plan B ..... soon as I figure out what that might be.
Unread 11-14-2014, 02:33 PM   #9
ptpdub
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo_90xj View Post
..or as it is on the Euro- ZJs & WJs (ZG/ WG), there's absolutely nothing inside the front or rear bumpers. They're just an empty plastic shell. Pedestrian safety..

hope not, my worry isn't people, it is frozen snow drifts (-40 is a regular occurrence) as well as deer, moose ...... other 4 legged critters thus the lights and future push bar.
Unread 11-14-2014, 04:00 PM   #10
Aceladriver

Just so you can picture it better...

This is as far forward as any metal goes on the ZJs.

Then from there forward you have all this plastic, lol. 93 parts pictured here but for the sake of discussion, assembly-wise it's comparable to what you'd find on your 98.

Unread 11-15-2014, 09:20 AM   #11
MongoAk
1998 ZJ 

For LED's and so forth on mine, I mounted some 3 1/2" by 6" lights where my factory fog lights are on my 98. They are to bright to drive with into traffic, but with a push of a button I have some extra light, or a 30" bar tied into my high beams. But it was pretty easy to tie mount them on the bottom side of the bumper.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.