Still shifts wrong, only 2nd to 3rd - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 07-14-2015, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
kb9mfd
1995 ZJ 

Still shifts wrong, only 2nd to 3rd

I had transmission issues, 1st would take a long time, if ever, to shift to second and second would skip to third a lot and it leaked fluid like crazy so I have now replaced it with a used one from a salvage yard. I didn't at first remember to put the tv cable spring back so the new one didn't shift right either, but I now remembered to put it in and now its much better, but I still have a issue. First to second is fine, on a normal stop to highway speed it will shift to second at about 2k perfectly, but then it almost immediately shifts to 3rd. (RPM goes to 1.6 then to 1.4) Then there is no acceleration and it dogs, once it catches up to speed again the shift the 4th is at the right time (around 1.8k to 2k) If I try to punch it while its in 3rd to get it to upshift back to 2nd it doesn't and just chugges along. I can use the shifter to force it into 2nd and then put it back to D when its at speed. If I start in 2 and it shifts fine to second, I then wait until I get to 2k then put it into D everything is perfect. At first I figured its the tv cable still off but would that not effect all shifts not just 2nd to 3rd? What all factors are used to determine the shift time, could the computer be messing up? Fluid is fine, normally the 1st to 2nd is effected the most with low fluid (learned that from the other tranny) Is there a specific valve, solenoid, spring, ect... that would cause it to mess up just that gear? Other odd thing is it shifts almost perfect if I am towing, lighter the load the worse the issue. Also sometimes it shifts perfect, normally when its been on the road a while but not quite full temp. Any other ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-14-2015, 03:39 PM
XJ93
1993 ZJ 

Have you properly adjusted the t/v cable per service manual instructions?
post #3 of 10 Old 07-14-2015, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
kb9mfd
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ93 View Post
Have you properly adjusted the t/v cable per service manual instructions?
Yes, and I tried to move it up and down a little from that. It only changes the overall shift time but it still likes to skip 2nd. It really struggles if I set it to shift earlier as the rpm in 3rd would only be around 1k.
post #4 of 10 Old 07-14-2015, 04:21 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

You can adjust the 2-3 band if you drop the pan. Good idea to do that and replace the filter anyway.

Procedure here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/b...6/#post3073349

1996 ZJ Green Laredo V8, 2.5" OME and Bilsteins, 33's, Holes drilled in the roof.
1998 ZJ 5.9 - Junked
1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-15-2015, 12:12 AM
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

The 2nd gear/intermediate band (aka front/kickdown) is adjusted externally, right between and slighty above the shift linkage and where the front cooler line goes into the case. The low/rev band is the one that gets adjusted from inside the pan above the filter. The front band can cause shifting issues with 2nd gear, its only applied in 2nd. Usually the concerns are in the quality of the shift, not so much in timing of the shift but its a good place to start.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-15-2015, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
kb9mfd
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnicewan View Post
The 2nd gear/intermediate band (aka front/kickdown) is adjusted externally, right between and slighty above the shift linkage and where the front cooler line goes into the case. The low/rev band is the one that gets adjusted from inside the pan above the filter. The front band can cause shifting issues with 2nd gear, its only applied in 2nd. Usually the concerns are in the quality of the shift, not so much in timing of the shift but its a good place to start.
I did adjust that one when I put it in, its rather hard to adjust when its in place. I followed the instructions to adjust it. I forgot to adjust the back band.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-16-2015, 02:49 AM
gearheadnick
1997 ZJ 

There's a spring inside the trans that's prone to breaking, but that controls the 3-4 shift. You can see where it is in the write up in my siggy.

My cylinder head overhaul: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/cylinder-head-r-r-picture-heavy-1348138/
My transmission overhaul: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/how-change-transmission-electronics-1560948/
post #8 of 10 Old 07-16-2015, 09:57 AM
CatAndTie
1996 ZJ 

Yeah, I think mine is having a similar issues, but it hasn't been too bad that I needed to address it right now.
Mine happens when I'm at a stop and need to punch it to pull out quickly to get up to speed. I haven't hooked mine up yet to really look at the shifting, but I think it feels like it's "skipping", maybe slipping? But it feels like it is only between either 1 and 2 or 2 and 3. All of the other shifts feel fine.

Please keep us updated with what you find out. I think I am going to change out some of my fluid, and maybe adjust the cables/bands.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-19-2016, 06:40 PM
IndyJeeper
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb9mfd View Post
First to second is fine, on a normal stop to highway speed it will shift to second at about 2k perfectly, but then it almost immediately shifts to 3rd. (RPM goes to 1.6 then to 1.4) Then there is no acceleration and it dogs, once it catches up to speed again the shift the 4th is at the right time (around 1.8k to 2k) If I try to punch it while its in 3rd to get it to upshift back to 2nd it doesn't and just chugges along. I can use the shifter to force it into 2nd and then put it back to D when its at speed. If I start in 2 and it shifts fine to second, I then wait until I get to 2k then put it into D everything is perfect.
I had this exact issue. After I replaced the caps in the pcm for a totally unrelated reason, the transmission works perfectly now. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/f...riteup-501951/
post #10 of 10 Old 01-20-2016, 08:59 PM
robrtsmtn
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadnick View Post
There's a spring inside the trans that's prone to breaking, but that controls the 3-4 shift. You can see where it is in the write up in my siggy.
the 3-4 accumulator spring. I agree, many of them break on the 42RE. Cascade Transmission Parts online has great solenoid kits with this part.

1993 ZJ 4.0 By summer it will be ready for fly fishing the high country, maybe.

Tags
transmission , transmission issue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.