still rough idle?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > still rough idle??

Iron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCKZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 12-21-2007, 04:00 PM   #1
lakailimited06
1999 WJ 

still rough idle??

ever since i had all my fluids changed/replaced ( all correct fluids ) and a tuneup done ( included:spark plugs replaced fuel injectors also cleaned ) my wj seems to be idling rough when stopped in drive and sometimes when parked..i brought it back to the mechanic which he then told me that the 5th cylinder was occasionally missfiring but not to the point where it was going to become a problem..he then said he cleaned the spark plug and fuel injector again which seemed to cure the problem for that day..next day same problem..recently my wj stalled out on me and i had to have the cam and crank sensors replaced which seemed to reduce the idling problem but it still wasnt normal..could my K&N intake be causing this rough idle, and how bad is this long term/short term...any responses/suggestions are greatly appreciated..

Unread 12-21-2007, 04:13 PM   #2
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

If the misfire is enough for you to notice it, then that is too much for me. A long term misfire is never a good thing even if it is occasional. Eventually, carbon will build up make that cylinder hotter than normal and then a misfire will always be present.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2007, 05:21 PM   #3
Briandl

It's your K&N, I'd get rid of that junk if I were you, I'd charge you maybe 5.00 to dispose of it...
Unread 12-21-2007, 05:42 PM   #4
lakailimited06
1999 WJ 

i know alot of other guys have intakes do any of them experience the same thing? i got rid of the stock intake and really dont want to purchase another one...any other alternatives??

Last edited by lakailimited06; 12-21-2007 at 07:07 PM..
lakailimited06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2007, 07:35 PM   #5
lakailimited06
1999 WJ 

could it possibly be that the temperature on long island right now is ranging from like 25 to 35 degrees outside along with the intake?
Unread 12-21-2007, 07:42 PM   #6
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakailimited06
could it possibly be that the temperature on long island right now is ranging from like 25 to 35 degrees outside along with the intake?
No that temperature is simply common for any engine. Thatís why the MAP & Intake temperature sensor are there.

I am not familiar with the 1999 engine. Do they by chance have a MAF (mass air flow) sensor in the intake? As these need to be periodical sprayed with electrical cleaner to remove residue (or in the case of K&N to remove any oiled filter scum)

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

Unread 12-21-2007, 07:43 PM   #7
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Since the issue developed after a lot of work was done, I would check for loose vacuum hoses on the Intake manifold.

Unread 12-21-2007, 08:37 PM   #8
lakailimited06
1999 WJ 

will do..appreciate it
Unread 12-21-2007, 10:09 PM   #9
Vestjam

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasefingers
Since the issue developed after a lot of work was done, I would check for loose vacuum hoses on the Intake manifold.
I can't remember a time when I ever disagreed with Greasefingers...

I was thinking vacuum leak before reading that above caption. The next thing I would consider is if the 'tune up' included cap/rotor/wires along with those new plugs.

Oil from a K&N can mess up a Mass air if there is too much oil on it. The FORD's mass air definitely doesn't like too much oil on the filter.

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport
4.0L/AW4, Yakima Roof Rack
Vestjam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2007, 07:36 AM   #10
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vestjam
I can't remember a time when I ever disagreed with Greasefingers...

I was thinking vacuum leak before reading that above caption.
Thanks for the kind words. And keep that 5.9 happy for the holidays

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.