still losing oil.???? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > still losing oil.????

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 06-22-2009, 05:07 PM   #1
jeepjoker
1993 ZJ 

still losing oil.????

93 ZJ 4.0 limited auto 215,xxx. i recently had a shop do my leaks in my system. they did the rear main seal, and oil pan for the engine (i did my valve cover)and front and rear on trans etc.. and i'm still losing oil. . so how do i test to see if my engine is burning oil? do i do a wet compression test? or???? am i doomed for losing oil? and how do i replace the oil level sensor(not the oil pressure sensor, but the sensor in the oil pan that shows how low i am.) any suggestions?
thanks

jeepjoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2009, 05:49 PM   #2
sadass
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

It is not uncommon for bad valve guide seals , I had my head done on the same year 4.0 ZJ at a high milage, no more oil consumption. or at least back to a normal level of consumption. But I would due a compression test before having the head done.
As for the level sensor, check the connections before replacing. I have seen the wires pulled out on two occasions now!

fond this
sadass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2009, 05:56 PM   #3
sadass
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

sorry about that, try this link

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/...cherokee-4-0-l
sadass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2009, 06:11 PM   #4
jeepjoker
1993 ZJ 

i tested my compression a months a go and i got
Cylinders
1)115
2)120
3)130
4)135
5)90
6)120
(cold)
but this wasn't a wet compression test. should i do that? i also ran some sea foam in my intake but have not checked compression since. and if i had to remove my head is hard to do? also do the sensors go out allot. i have a feeling mine works good cause when its low i check the dipstick and its low. and when its not low the dipstick says its not low also. so should i even worry about that? my sensor doesn't go off all the time
jeepjoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2009, 08:17 PM   #5
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjoker View Post
i tested my compression a months a go and i got
Cylinders
1)115
2)120
3)130
4)135
5)90
6)120
(cold)
but this wasn't a wet compression test. should i do that? i also ran some sea foam in my intake but have not checked compression since. and if i had to remove my head is hard to do? also do the sensors go out allot. i have a feeling mine works good cause when its low i check the dipstick and its low. and when its not low the dipstick says its not low also. so should i even worry about that? my sensor doesn't go off all the time
Cylinder Compression Pressure Range 827 - 1034 kPa (120 - 150 psi)
Maximum Variation Between Cylinders 206 kPa (30 psi)

your number 5 is running kinda low. it's 30+ below on some of the other pistons
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.