Stereo WTF short? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Stereo WTF short?

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-19-2013, 09:01 PM   #1
FlamingRain
1996 ZJ 

Stereo WTF short?

So lately I've noticed my stereo (all stock) was making a weird buzzing noise. Not too weird with how old the stereo is but as of the last two days I've noticed it making some weird *** noises. The turn signal clicker (yes, the turn signal clicker sound) is now coming through the stereo, and there is a high pitch squealing noise coming through the speaker that directly relates to how high the rpms are at. I can hear it change when it shifts in/out of gear. I'm really REALLY confused and am half laughing at it because it's entertaining.

What could possibly cause this? Where could it short that would cause this to happen? And yes, it does go away when the stereo is turned off.

1996 Grand Cherokee Limited (ZJ) / 5.2L 318 V8 / Quadra-Trac
FlamingRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
RoldGold
1996 ZJ 

Sounds like something a ground loop isolator might fix, but I don't know why that's happening or how you'd fix it. Maybe an aftermarket radio would take care of the problem. Sorry I can't be of more help, I'm dumbfounded.
RoldGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 07:48 AM   #3
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Possibly a bad alternator if not the head unit. Can you hear the turn signal with the motor off?
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 07:49 PM   #4
nicyousuckk
1997 ZJ 

Alternator whine is typically associated with ground loops. Being as your stereo is completely stock, I'd say it's probably not that. More than likely it's a bad ground. Try making a new one.
nicyousuckk is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.