Stereo Upgrade - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Stereo Upgrade

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 02-22-2006, 12:40 AM   #1
bdb978

Stereo Upgrade

I have recently purchased my third generation jeep which is a 2000 grand cherokee limited. It came with a stock radio and i have been wanting to just upgrade to a better stock one( to keep the look) or a navi that i had found for cheap. I was just wondering if it was at all possible to use a newer year stereo even with the different plugs and such.

I also have had a problem with my 10 disk changer, ive tried the disk cleaner and i still get the error message and was wondering if its the lense it self or is it possible for the magazine to be defective?

thanks

bdb978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2006, 01:02 AM   #2
10achik
I ate what?

1999 WJ 

I'm a firm believer that those CD changer's are crap, mine went out and they are outrageous to replace.

I took it out and scrapped it, now I use the extra space to keep things in. I ended up replacing the head unit with an in-dash Sony Xplod MP3 player, I can fit more songs on one disk than I could fit in the 10 disk changer. I think it was around $150 on ebay. You can sell those factory stereo's on ebay for around $50, I got about $75 for mine for some reason. I personally don't like the looks of the factory ones, here's a couple pic's of what I'm talking about:
web-extraspace.jpg   webstereo.jpg  

99 GC Limited - 4.7L HO V8, 6.5" IRO HC LA lift, F&R D44s locked & trussed, 242HD, IRO TC Skid, KMA Bumper, 35's
2006 Saturn Redline -2.0L Eaton supercharged I4, GMPP Stage 2, Custom Tune, AEM CAI, Ebiach Pro Kit w/ swaybars, EVO Ventus V12s (13.76 @ 103.85)
2006 Pontiac G6 GTP
2012 Nissan Juke - (hers)
2000 SV650 - naked, integrated tail light, sliders, corbin, pilot roads, RK chain & sprokets, D&D full exhaust, FactoryPro Stage I jet kit, +4 Ignition Advancer, Barnett race clutch
2006 Triumph America 900 - Full Dresser

January 2009 Grand Cherokee of the Month (GCOTM)
10achik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2006, 02:11 AM   #3
Briandl

Yes, they make adapters.

Mopar adaptor kit P/N 82207541

http://www.wjjeeps.com/radio_02adaptor2.jpg
Unread 02-22-2006, 05:21 AM   #4
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

If you have a soldering iron and the electrical schematics; then the possibilities are endless. Sometimes I find it easier if I have no schematics (except for the HU). Then one simply runs all new lines, it is brainless that way and you get to use thicker speaker wires. If you go this route, then I would also suggest that you make your own wiring schematic as you progress.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2006, 11:01 AM   #5
HawkeyeWJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10achik
I'm a firm believer that those CD changer's are crap, mine went out and they are outrageous to replace.
Mine was replaced while still under factory warranty twice... Just waiting for it to go out again and then I'll use it for a storage bin as he suggested!

BTW: both times when mine was out it had that error code message on the head unit display as you are seeing on yours...

2002 WJ 4.7 Limited
Onyx Green Pearl
HawkeyeWJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.