Steering wheel shake - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Steering wheel shake

Savvy Aluminum BumpersIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 06-17-2011, 11:13 AM   #1
cnickels87
1995 ZJ 

Steering wheel shake

Jeep 95 Grand Cherokee, 4.0l 4wd
2" coil spacers
31X10.5 tires

This one I just cant seem to figure out. I'm getting a slight steering wheel shake at around 50mph and 70 mph. Its weird it only happens around those speeds any faster or any slower and it goes away. It also dosen't shake all the time I would say I get this shake probably 70% of the time. Any ideas?

Just put new tires on and re-balanced
Replace steering stabilizer, with upgraded one from rough country
I have no play in my wheel from side to side and up and down

cnickels87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2011, 11:48 AM   #2
HeavyArms
2004 WJ 

Try a front end alignment yet?
Unread 06-17-2011, 08:14 PM   #3
TallyZJ
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnickels87 View Post
Jeep 95 Grand Cherokee, 4.0l 4wd
2" coil spacers
31X10.5 tires

This one I just cant seem to figure out. I'm getting a slight steering wheel shake at around 50mph and 70 mph. Its weird it only happens around those speeds any faster or any slower and it goes away. It also dosen't shake all the time I would say I get this shake probably 70% of the time. Any ideas?

Just put new tires on and re-balanced
Replace steering stabilizer, with upgraded one from rough country
I have no play in my wheel from side to side and up and down
It is a tire related issue. One is either still out of balance or is out of round. Could also be a bent wheel. You need to go somewhere and have them "road force" balanced. This will match the tire imbalance to the rim imbalance and reduce the amount of weight required to bring it into balance. This will also tell you if you have a rim that is out of spec or a tire that is out of spec and needs to be replaced.

Make sure the place that does the work dynamically balances the tires (uses the machine on the setting that measures both edges of the rim for imbalance). Some places use center line balancing on larger tires.

Hopefully, for you, that you didn't buy some stupid "custom" wheel that has fake bead locks on the outer rim. These are extremely difficult to balance as they will not allow weights on the outside edge and require the use of adhesive weights on the inside next to the wheel spokes.
TallyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2011, 08:41 PM   #4
cnickels87
1995 ZJ 

I don't think its a tire issue it did it before and after the new tires, i'v only had the new tires on for like a 1000 miles. They are mounted on stock 95 jeep rims.
Unread 06-17-2011, 09:01 PM   #5
TallyZJ
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnickels87 View Post
I don't think its a tire issue it did it before and after the new tires, i'v only had the new tires on for like a 1000 miles. They are mounted on stock 95 jeep rims.
It has to be tire or wheel or it wouldn't be speed dependent. Try swapping the front tires to the rear and drive it. If it doesn't change then rotate them in an "X" fashion and see if any movement of position changes anything. Not necessarily stopping the shake but ANY change in the speed in which it occurs or the felt shake itself.

You need to do this to absolutely rule out tire balance or out of round/bad wheel.

Also, check your tire pressure. Lower the PSI to 30lbs and see what happens.
TallyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2011, 08:33 AM   #6
cnickels87
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallyZJ View Post
It has to be tire or wheel or it wouldn't be speed dependent. Try swapping the front tires to the rear and drive it. If it doesn't change then rotate them in an "X" fashion and see if any movement of position changes anything. Not necessarily stopping the shake but ANY change in the speed in which it occurs or the felt shake itself.

You need to do this to absolutely rule out tire balance or out of round/bad wheel.

Also, check your tire pressure. Lower the PSI to 30lbs and see what happens.
This shake happened with the old tires and the exact same thing is happening with the new tires. I'm doubting its a tire problem. My buddy has some 31's on his jeep that were going to try swapping rims and tires and see if this will get rid of my shake. I'l report back when I get this done.
Unread 06-19-2011, 09:21 AM   #7
ekamm

Mine has a bad cv ujoint and does the same thing.
ekamm is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.