Steering wheel puller help, I broke something :( - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Steering wheel puller help, I broke something :(

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-13-2009, 04:17 PM   #1
pauler
2001 WJ 

Steering wheel puller help, I broke something :(

So basically heres the story. .. I bought an overland steering wheel (wood grain, black perforated leather ) to replace my ratty old one, but in the process of taking the old one off I somehow completely broke off the notch where the steering wheel puller sits. It was almost off and I heard a loud *POP* and my steering wheel puller went one way and a shard hit me in the face lol. I'm fine just a small cut and a bruised ego, but what can I do now? My puller keeps sliding out from one side so I have to drill myself a hole I guess? How should I go about doing this?

I was looking around an I found a FAQ explaining this

JeepsLimited.com - Steering Wheel Removal & Replacement (WJ)

Now I just dont get it, did he drill and tap his own holes and stick a existing bolt in there, or did he just drill a hole the right diameter and just jam the bolt in there? I'm scared of drilling too far and messing stuff up, can anyone recommend what type of shop I should go to and have them do it?

-Debadged, K&N CAI, Quad taillight mod, Yellowtop Optima, 3000 watt stereo setup, Kolak 3' Catback (flowmaster 70 with magnaflow tip and high flow magnaflow cat) with DMH electric cutout, Overland woodgrain wheel
pauler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2009, 04:24 PM   #2
WiCkeDuDe
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Yeah I had the same problem. I was surprised how weak the structure was being cast aluminum. They have a special puller at the stealership to do this. My puller came off so I drilled 2 holes just off the main shaft. I then tapped them for a 5/16 bolts. I was then able to put my regular triple head steering wheel puller on it. It popped right off once you get the forced centered around the shaft. Its a retarded design IMO.
WiCkeDuDe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2009, 05:39 PM   #3
pauler
2001 WJ 

You think the stealership puller would still work considering i cracked off a chunk of aluminum or is my only option now what you suggested? I dont even own a proper drill not to mention tools for tapping the hole, so it may just be cheaper for me to get the stealership to do it?
-Debadged, K&N CAI, Quad taillight mod, Yellowtop Optima, 3000 watt stereo setup, Kolak 3' Catback (flowmaster 70 with magnaflow tip and high flow magnaflow cat) with DMH electric cutout, Overland woodgrain wheel
Unread 09-13-2009, 05:42 PM   #4
WiCkeDuDe
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

If you broke that notch on the side then the dealer puller will not work any longer. I think you will need to drill some holes IMO.
WiCkeDuDe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2009, 06:01 PM   #5
pauler
2001 WJ 

Damn thats what I was afraid of ... I'll give it a go tomorrow if it doesnt work I'm just going to get a local shop to do it.
Unread 09-15-2009, 10:12 AM   #6
tbm5690
2001 WJ 

Just did this a month or so ago...drilling is an absolute must as using a 2-jaw puller with the notches is either going to break the notches like in your case or bend the puller like in my case. Go to Autozone/O'Reilly/Carquest/Advance and ask to rent a steering wheel puller kit. Mine was free...and it comes with different sized bolts. Use a regular old drill bit appropriately sized, screw in the bolts, and crank her down. Done. The only problem I ran into was the brittle aluminum being stripped by the pressure of the bolts being pulled...a couple of times they stripped out the holes. Basically, drill small and use force to thread the bolts in.

After it's all over you feel great...this was hands down the worst/hardest/most frustrating job I have ever had to do on the old WJ
Unread 09-15-2009, 10:39 AM   #7
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

I have pulled at least 7 WJ steering wheels, and the one-and-ONLY way I could do it was with a 3 jaw puller. I tried several pullers before, and found the 3-jaw once the Vatozone employee let me in the back to look at their vast variety of rental tools they tell no one about.

Were you using a 3 jaw?
QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2009, 10:40 AM   #8
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbm5690 View Post
Just did this a month or so ago...drilling is an absolute must as using a 2-jaw puller with the notches is either going to break the notches like in your case or bend the puller like in my case. Go to Autozone/O'Reilly/Carquest/Advance and ask to rent a steering wheel puller kit. Mine was free...and it comes with different sized bolts. Use a regular old drill bit appropriately sized, screw in the bolts, and crank her down. Done. The only problem I ran into was the brittle aluminum being stripped by the pressure of the bolts being pulled...a couple of times they stripped out the holes. Basically, drill small and use force to thread the bolts in.

After it's all over you feel great...this was hands down the worst/hardest/most frustrating job I have ever had to do on the old WJ
Do NOT use a "steering wheel puller". This is for older cars. You will waste soo much time. Why would you drill holes?
QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.