steering wheel control wires - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > steering wheel control wires

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-30-2013, 07:04 PM   #1
Bryan2269

1998 ZJ 

steering wheel control wires

So I just recently got a new Pioneer head unit for my ZJ and still wanted to keep my SWC functional. As a result I bought a PAC SWI-RC to maintain that; however, in the instructions for my jeep they said that I needed to pair up the green wire from the SWI to a black/orange wire. The dumb thing about it is it's referencing to the white plug with two wires connected to it, that made the stock head unit work. Anyways those two wires are purple and white/black. So I tried each wire to see if it worked but, when I paired the green wire with either the purple or white/black wire my gauges didn't work at all. So I removed the green wire and they were functioning after that. I got my PAC box to program to the necessary version number but, couldn't make it intercept the steering wheel button functions such as, volume up, down, next song, etc. Well what I'm trying to ask is where does this dang green wire pair up to?
Help would be appreciated thanks!!

Bryan2269 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 09:00 PM   #2
96zedjay
1996 ZJ 

You need to grab the wire off the clockspring (steering wheel)
The SW buttons form a resistor matrix which sends their sig to the BCM which in turn converts it into a data stream on the CCD bus,(purple/WB) which the OEM radio reads.

The PAC SWI RC is gonna take the sig off the SW and convert into a sig your new radio will understand.
96zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
Bryan2269

1998 ZJ 

yeah I found the wire it was the black/orange wire by the clock spring and I was reading up on it and they said its the small black/orange wire not the big one if anyone else is wondering. In addition to that there two wire that are black and orange it was the one that is primarily black with a little bit of orange. Yeah, thanks man for the help really appreciate it!!! I think I'll make a thread on how to do this for other people that also want to pursue something like this.
Bryan2269 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2013, 04:49 PM   #4
970001zj
1997 ZJ 

cool thread !
970001zj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2013, 07:14 PM   #5
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

Please do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.