Steering stuck - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Steering stuck

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Steinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 04-19-2013, 06:51 PM   #1
buttersjeep90
1997 ZJ 

Steering stuck

So it all begane 5 weeks ago. My power steering pump went so i replaced it and then everything was fine. 2 weeks later my steering gear started raining out fluid from the bottom seal which caused the power steering pump to go bad. because i didnt realize the steering gear was leaking until i got 20 miles away from home to my buddies house. So i took the power steering pump out and the steering gear to auto zone to swap out the pump for a new one (warrenty) and to buy a new steering gear and wouldn't have to pay a core fee. Got everything installed did the bleeding procedure for the power steering fluid and took it for a test drive, it was fixed. 7 hours ago i went to go out and start the jeep to let it warm up, i had a cigarette and then was on my way, went to turn out of the parking lot at my apartment building and it was like i had no power steering and i noticed that the power steering only worked it i accelerated. So after getting back into my lot I called AAA and had it towed to my buddyies house (gotta love the 100 miles fee tow) and its sitting until tomorrow seeing as that its raining. My question is what would cause the steering to go stiff standing at an idle, (in any car even my jeep I've always been able to turn the wheels lock to lock when sitting at an idle.) why would the power steering only be smooth at acceleration? really stumped here. I understand duralast parts like the steering gear and steering pump at reman'd parts but still they shouldn't fail the quickly right? Any input is always appreciated

buttersjeep90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 07:51 PM   #2
buttersjeep90
1997 ZJ 

it stopped raining so i went outside and put the front end up in the air and it turns no problem.
Unread 04-20-2013, 08:37 AM   #3
homerx
1993 ZJ 

I had a problem like that a couple of times one was cause the ps pump was eating my belt, Another was the gear box was shot, also air pockets. And the last time was 4 wheeling and the belt cut my trans cooler lines and the fluid lub up my belt so it just slipped lost ps alt and ac. Lol
homerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 02:43 PM   #4
buttersjeep90
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerx View Post
I had a problem like that a couple of times one was cause the ps pump was eating my belt, Another was the gear box was shot, also air pockets. And the last time was 4 wheeling and the belt cut my trans cooler lines and the fluid lub up my belt so it just slipped lost ps alt and ac. Lol
Well today we figure out it wasn't the steering gear or pump. So we disconnected the tie rod ends, pulled the wheels off to see how well the knuckles turn and the driver side was fine but the passanger side was stuck, we sprayed some wd40 on the passanger u-joint and the whole knuckle was able to turn with out a problem. Bought a new u-joint and started taking the the caliper off and rotor and them took the axle nut off and then went to take the hub bolts out and rounded them off, gotta wait till Monday to get new bolts for the hub found out I can only get them from the stealership, 9 bucks a piece so I put everything back together and its sitting till Monday.
Unread 04-24-2013, 08:15 AM   #5
buttersjeep90
1997 ZJ 

Well I was thinking about it, we sprayed the ball joints with lube and it started turning a little better so I'm gonna try greasing them and see if that works. This has me stumped. I've replaced power steering pump and the stearing gear and bleed the system twice.
Unread 04-29-2013, 04:51 PM   #6
buttersjeep90
1997 ZJ 

It turned out to be the u-joint on the front passanger and the power steering pump. That makes 3 pumps in 2 months from autozone. Anyways there is a small no name shop near my buddies house, really nice and knowledgable. So I now have a power steering pump out of. 97 Cherokee sport. Same artless pump. Works great
Unread 04-30-2013, 05:20 PM   #7
buttersjeep90
1997 ZJ 

Well steering is acting weird again. Can't figure it out and its getting to the point where I feel I might have to have the stealership figure it out or sell it as is and hopefully brake even. I love my jeep I just can't deal with the fustration from this and losing a family member. You knows its embarrassing haveing to have ur car towed during a funeral. Made me feel like a jack $@%.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.