Steering stopped working while driving - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Steering stopped working while driving

The Retrofit Source / JW Speaker LED Headlight GROUP BUY!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Artec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300

Unread 10-12-2012, 10:19 PM   #1
Joba18

Steering stopped working while driving

Okay so I was driving my 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee in the back roads at about 100km/h when the Jeep started to wobble and the steering went and I went into a ditch. Luckily I am okay and the Jeep was not damaged from the ditch. I had to drive home going 10km/h the steering worked at that speed, but every time I hit another bump going 10km/h causing the jeep to wobble again, so I slowed down. I eventually made it home. I have no clue what happened to it, I have not had a problem with this before but we did replace a broken tie rod a month ago. If anyone can please tell me what caused this and how to replace it. Gonna try the forum before going to a mechanic. Thanks guys!

Joba18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2012, 10:25 PM   #2
1skrewsloose
1998 ZJ 

So all of a sudden no power steering? Low fluid level? Hose broken? Fan belt slipping? Just grasping straws here. As I re-read your post may be something else let loose on the suspension putting too much load on the steering.
1skrewsloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2012, 10:47 PM   #3
Joba18

Absolutely no steering, could turn the wheel and wheels would not turn. Only started turning again at a low speed.
Unread 10-12-2012, 10:56 PM   #4
NEp8ntballer

so the steering wheel would turn but the vehicle wouldn't respond except at low speed?

sounds like something's broken if that's the case. I'd lean toward something mechanical
NEp8ntballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2012, 01:26 AM   #5
LordBhael
1998 ZJ 

I agree. I can't imagine one of the steering rods causing that.
LordBhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2012, 03:12 AM   #6
Billabong
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEp8ntballer
so the steering wheel would turn but the vehicle wouldn't respond except at low speed?

sounds like something's broken if that's the case. I'd lean toward something mechanical
Hahahah
Billabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2012, 04:37 AM   #7
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

This is not an internet problem. This is a have somebody turn the steering wheel and look at things problem. Follow the steering column down out of the firewall. Look for the point where motion stops.
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2012, 08:15 AM   #8
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

If you want our help you'll need to post pictures. Something is broken in a big way, but its not going to be diagnosed from here by words alone.

If I had to guess, I'd say completely broken track bar.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2012, 12:34 PM   #9
Joba18

Okay so I got a picture of a piece that appears to be broken.Sorry for the large picture.
jeep.jpg  
Unread 10-13-2012, 12:40 PM   #10
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

I WIN!
broken track bar. looks like it got wedged in there allowing you to steer at very low speeds. looks like your tie rod is nicely bent now too.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2012, 12:48 PM   #11
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

That's supposed to do that. It's an extra feature designed to teach situational awareness.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2012, 01:08 PM   #12
Joba18

Thanks very much ratmonkey, What do you recommend I go and do? should I get a mechanic to do it or could I get a friend who rebuilds cars to do it? Also what is the price range for fixing this and what parts will I need?
Unread 10-13-2012, 01:19 PM   #13
sebian
1995 ZJ 

Probably about $100 on a new trackbar, somewhere near $50 for new tierod. Definitely recheck the tierod ends, even the one you recently replaced, and the steering knuckles to make sure they did not get damaged.

They are pretty easy to replace, you will want to get as good of a measurement as possible of your existing tierods with ends attached, for when you assemble the replacement. The closer the lenghts are, the better the initial alignment will be, but you will still need to get it aligned at a shop.

Also check for any damage to the trackbar brackets. They could be cracked, or holes wallowed out.

List of parts not replaced yet:
sebian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2012, 02:21 PM   #14
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

I knew what it was as soon as he described it.....because mine broke, too. Funny thing.....no one on JF believed I drove it home. ( a few blocks).

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2012, 11:23 PM   #15
LordBhael
1998 ZJ 

Wow. I would have never guessed. I'd have thought the steering would just be gone at that point. But like you said, it bound up.

Rat FTW.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.