JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   Steering stopped working while driving (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/steering-stopped-working-while-driving-1426946/)

Joba18 10-12-2012 11:19 PM

Steering stopped working while driving

Okay so I was driving my 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee in the back roads at about 100km/h when the Jeep started to wobble and the steering went and I went into a ditch. Luckily I am okay and the Jeep was not damaged from the ditch. I had to drive home going 10km/h the steering worked at that speed, but every time I hit another bump going 10km/h causing the jeep to wobble again, so I slowed down. I eventually made it home. I have no clue what happened to it, I have not had a problem with this before but we did replace a broken tie rod a month ago. If anyone can please tell me what caused this and how to replace it. Gonna try the forum before going to a mechanic. Thanks guys!

1skrewsloose 10-12-2012 11:25 PM

So all of a sudden no power steering? Low fluid level? Hose broken? Fan belt slipping? Just grasping straws here. As I re-read your post may be something else let loose on the suspension putting too much load on the steering.

Joba18 10-12-2012 11:47 PM

Absolutely no steering, could turn the wheel and wheels would not turn. Only started turning again at a low speed.

NEp8ntballer 10-12-2012 11:56 PM

so the steering wheel would turn but the vehicle wouldn't respond except at low speed?

sounds like something's broken if that's the case. I'd lean toward something mechanical

LordBhael 10-13-2012 02:26 AM

I agree. I can't imagine one of the steering rods causing that.

Billabong 10-13-2012 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEp8ntballer
so the steering wheel would turn but the vehicle wouldn't respond except at low speed?

sounds like something's broken if that's the case. I'd lean toward something mechanical

Hahahah

Foundrydude 10-13-2012 05:37 AM

This is not an internet problem. This is a have somebody turn the steering wheel and look at things problem. Follow the steering column down out of the firewall. Look for the point where motion stops.

ratmonkey 10-13-2012 09:15 AM

If you want our help you'll need to post pictures. Something is broken in a big way, but its not going to be diagnosed from here by words alone.

If I had to guess, I'd say completely broken track bar.

Joba18 10-13-2012 01:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay so I got a picture of a piece that appears to be broken.Sorry for the large picture.

ratmonkey 10-13-2012 01:40 PM

I WIN!
broken track bar. looks like it got wedged in there allowing you to steer at very low speeds. looks like your tie rod is nicely bent now too.

PolkaPower 10-13-2012 01:48 PM

That's supposed to do that. It's an extra feature designed to teach situational awareness.

Joba18 10-13-2012 02:08 PM

Thanks very much ratmonkey, What do you recommend I go and do? should I get a mechanic to do it or could I get a friend who rebuilds cars to do it? Also what is the price range for fixing this and what parts will I need?

sebian 10-13-2012 02:19 PM

Probably about $100 on a new trackbar, somewhere near $50 for new tierod. Definitely recheck the tierod ends, even the one you recently replaced, and the steering knuckles to make sure they did not get damaged.

They are pretty easy to replace, you will want to get as good of a measurement as possible of your existing tierods with ends attached, for when you assemble the replacement. The closer the lenghts are, the better the initial alignment will be, but you will still need to get it aligned at a shop.

Also check for any damage to the trackbar brackets. They could be cracked, or holes wallowed out.

Oldfrog 10-13-2012 03:21 PM

I knew what it was as soon as he described it.....because mine broke, too. Funny thing.....no one on JF believed I drove it home. ( a few blocks).

LordBhael 10-19-2012 12:23 AM

Wow. I would have never guessed. I'd have thought the steering would just be gone at that point. But like you said, it bound up.

Rat FTW.

The time now is 05:09 AM.