steering and steering wheel acting wayyy differently - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > steering and steering wheel acting wayyy differently

Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andAdvance Adapters SYE KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-19-2007, 03:15 PM   #1
GRDCHRKE555
1999 XJ Cherokee 

steering and steering wheel acting wayyy differently

so ya its been happening for about 2 days now id say. when i go above 50 mph my steering wheel shakes like crazy. shakes.. vibrates too but it seems that i am able to go straight fine as long as i hold it steady. any idea what this could be? the day before i went a did a lil minor offroading in about 2 feet of mud and somehow was able to get out with no recovery after getting stuck(friend jumping on bumper i gues lol)... yes mud was above the rockers.. 4lo is god. anyways after that it seemed to be acting up.. i am planning.. actually about to buy it now, a new steering stabilizer. could that correct possibly what could be wrong? thanks for any help.

4.5" (~6'') RC lift w/ full leafs, RE 1.25" Shackles, Bilstein 5125's, IRO Custom HI-Clearance LA's,JKS quicker discos, C4x4 Front Hooks, TW's SYE/CV DS, FLO-PRO cat-back, and some 32'' x 11.50" Maxxis Bighorns

Last edited by GRDCHRKE555; 03-21-2007 at 09:07 PM..
GRDCHRKE555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2007, 03:26 PM   #2
TKeefe

Also check and make sure that there isnt anything caked onto the inside of your wheels. I know that sometimes I get snow and ice frozen in there and it makes things shake like crazy.
Unread 03-19-2007, 03:26 PM   #3
hckypro19ja

first and foremost just get under the jeep and make sure everything is tight and there is nothing out of the ordinary, check for mud in your wheels and between your break rotors and the heat shield. Most likely your wheels just need to be rebalanced, maybe the balance weights were ripped off when you went "muddin".
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Quadratrac, 5.2 V8, UC skids and tow package, 32 inch bfg m/t on procomp steelies, flowmaster 40 series, Rancho ss, skyjacker 3" lift, teraflex adjustable trackbar, zactal roof rack
hckypro19ja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2007, 04:08 PM   #4
GRDCHRKE555
1999 XJ Cherokee 

alrighty. seem odd as the tires are brand new practically with maybe 2000 miles on them. first time in deep mud. definately not mud terrains thats for sure. wish i couldve had a tire like that when i sunk into the ground randomly. thanks though.
4.5" (~6'') RC lift w/ full leafs, RE 1.25" Shackles, Bilstein 5125's, IRO Custom HI-Clearance LA's,JKS quicker discos, C4x4 Front Hooks, TW's SYE/CV DS, FLO-PRO cat-back, and some 32'' x 11.50" Maxxis Bighorns
Unread 03-19-2007, 04:13 PM   #5
farmerzj

same thing was happing with my zj after i lifted it. if i went above like 45 the steering wheel would start to shake until i slowed down over the course of a week it went from 45mph to 25mph i took it to get it allinged and they said i need new ball joints and wheel barings i did the work cost about 700 bucks for top of the line products and the shaking went away. so i would say take it to a shop that does allingments and see what they say. ask if they can tell that you need new BJ/WB. or mabye just get it allinged.
farmerzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2007, 12:43 PM   #6
GRDCHRKE555
1999 XJ Cherokee 

hmm well. if i do have to replace those things i will cause its anoying. as soon as i hit 50 it starts to shake but i still go straight till a bump knocks me off course or if the roads not flat of course. how much would it be for the parts since i might be able to replace those sorts of things myself with a friend? thanks
Unread 03-20-2007, 07:01 PM   #7
farmerzj

i went to auto zone got upper and lower ball joints "top of the line" 44$ a peice, you will need a ball joint press for those and if you go to auto zone and by the ball joints from them they will lend you a ball joint bress there's a 100$ holding fee that they give you back if you return it in 30 days. timken wheel barings ran about 200$ a peice cause with 93 zj's u have to replace the whole assbly.
heres a little adivce with the ball joint press U WILL NEED it, all it is is a C clamp with some key acssorys when you get it on the ball joint and tightin it down (really tight ) take a 3 pound hamer and hit the cast iron casing around the ball joints. smack it really hard like really hard while the press is still on it. then tight the press again you should feel the press is easier to turn after you hit it. continue until it falls out do the same with the lower and make sure you put the lower one in first BELIVE me its much easier that way.(if the ball joints don't go it really hard then take them back they shouldn't just slid in by hand) this should all be on the kuckle that is attached to your axle. you are going to have to remove the knuckle that pivotes on the ball joints to take it off take that 3 pound hammer and smashed the **** out of it right where it atach's to the ball joint bolts if it doesnt come off your not hitting it hard enough and don't worry they can take a beating sorry no picsill try though
Unread 03-20-2007, 07:09 PM   #8
farmerzj

iknow worrys its easy
Unread 03-20-2007, 07:57 PM   #9
GRDCHRKE555
1999 XJ Cherokee 

hmm well i seemed to have found the problem. i know it couldnt have been the bearings cause i know the noise they make. but it stopped being wet out for a bit and when i checked underneath it turned out the ball joints and back side and sides along the front hubs had a bunch of mud on them.. i work at a car wash so i went under and sprayed some wheel brite on it to lossen the dirt then high pressured it off. wen down the orad afterwards at about 75 and no more shaking of any kind. straight as an arrow. i must say tho thansk for the help
Unread 03-22-2007, 06:31 PM   #10
farmerzj

nice thats sick that it was an ez fix...np
Unread 03-22-2007, 07:20 PM   #11
GRDCHRKE555
1999 XJ Cherokee 

yeah i know. free fix up.. well took time.. thats bout it lol

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.