Steering Shaft/Sector Shaft - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Steering Shaft/Sector Shaft

Introducing the CUPHOLSTER @ OCONEE OFF ROAD 706 534 9955Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comBlack Friday- Cyber Monday Deals at jeepHut

Unread 04-02-2011, 04:08 PM   #1
BigRed4x4
1993 ZJ 

Steering Shaft/Sector Shaft

So I have narrowed my loose steering down to the shaft that connects the steering wheel and the gear box. Now all I need to know (besides how to install it...which comes later) is where to get one. I was researching threads and someone said you could get them at O'Reilly Auto Parts. However this is concerning because I work there and could not find them under any name or in any book.

Any one got an idea?

Unread 04-04-2011, 02:28 PM   #2
BigRed4x4
1993 ZJ 

Bumpity 10char
Unread 04-04-2011, 03:01 PM   #3
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

and why do you think the play is there?
i dont think there is really anything to go bad with the shaft itself, but i may be wrong
more than likely the steering box is the culprit, there is a writeup on the faqs to tighten your gearbox
Unread 04-04-2011, 03:22 PM   #4
Yardman Harry
O

1996 ZJ 

Yeah. Adjust the bearing preload. My sector shaft play tightened up after this adjustment . Check the faqs as mentioned. I have a writup there to help.

Yard.

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Ed. I6 - 4.0 litre, 4" SL, D44 rear, 4:56 Gears, AA SYE with double cardon custom rear Drive Shaft, IRO Adj CAs, Kevins Rear Adj TB with JOHNNY JOINT end

1999 Mazda Miata MX5 - Jet Black

1990 Jeep Cherokee Sport I6 - 4.0 litre
White
~Junked~
Yardman Harry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2011, 08:44 AM   #5
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Mopar, Flaming River, Borgeson

I paid $60 for my Mopar steering shaft online. The aftermarket ones are way nicer but expensive.
HighLonesome is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2011, 04:51 PM   #6
BigRed4x4
1993 ZJ 

Thank you everyone. I know its the shaft because when I tighten the box to where it binds, there is still play in the shaft. The I don't carry them at O'Reilly, neither does Advance or Autozone and the dealer didn't know what I was talking about. So I'll try the companies above. Maybe I'll get some luck. People probably think I'm drunk going down the road cuz I'm all over the place!
Unread 04-10-2011, 05:07 PM   #7
BigRed4x4
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
Mopar, Flaming River, Borgeson

I paid $60 for my Mopar steering shaft online. The aftermarket ones are way nicer but expensive.
What site did you get your Mopar shaft from. Of course I tried Mopar.com but I'm not sure on how to find the part.
Unread 04-10-2011, 05:57 PM   #8
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

I can't find it either. Maybe it's discontinued as most ZJ stuff is becoming.

Try kolak@aol.com
Unread 04-10-2011, 08:40 PM   #9
Yardman Harry
O

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
I can't find it either. Maybe it's discontinued as most ZJ stuff is becoming.

Try kolak@aol.com
I found it here, which is why I decided to adjust things before dropping the money on this

http://www.mopar-wholesale.com

direct link here...

Click here if you want a shaft

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Ed. I6 - 4.0 litre, 4" SL, D44 rear, 4:56 Gears, AA SYE with double cardon custom rear Drive Shaft, IRO Adj CAs, Kevins Rear Adj TB with JOHNNY JOINT end

1999 Mazda Miata MX5 - Jet Black

1990 Jeep Cherokee Sport I6 - 4.0 litre
White
~Junked~
Yardman Harry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2011, 10:40 PM   #10
BigRed4x4
1993 ZJ 

Thanks again y'all.

I found a Borgeson for $284, but there was a guy at work today that said he wanted to part out his Jeep after he tried pullin someone out and ripped his frame off... Anyway do y'all know what other models might be close to fittin in mine. I figure probably an XJ or maybe others.

Also, Yardman, the shaft its showing, I believe, is the one actually in the steering box. I need the one that connects the gear box to the steering wheel: sector shaft. The box is brand new and adjusted properly.
Unread 04-10-2011, 11:49 PM   #11
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Some cars have what they call a rag joint, and others have another type of joint (dont know the name) Both are prone to develop loosness in time and they are also a weak link if you ever need to steer without power assist.

I went to a local salvage yard and removed a couple steering shafts off of other vehicles that had an actual u-joint on them. I removed my steering shaft, cut and welded the u-joint part in place. Sure you can buy someone elses steering shaft, you can also source bolt on parts etc, but the salvage yard deal cost me $10. I think the donor veh was a 90's chevy van, but there are many others out there too.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2011, 08:55 AM   #12
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardman Harry View Post
I found it here, which is why I decided to adjust things before dropping the money on this

http://www.mopar-wholesale.com

direct link here...

Click here if you want a shaft
Harry,

He means the intermediate shaft, not the sector shaft. Not showing up in any searches.

Andy
Unread 04-11-2011, 09:13 AM   #13
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

One of the metal universal joints in your intermediate shaft is bad? Did that truck used to be a taxi or something? Maybe it had a bad box that forced binding or other weirdness??

Get one from a junkyard, that is a rare failure. Which is why you're not finding them available as replacements. These intermediate shafts ought to be million mile durable.

If you're having trouble sourcing one locally, I've got a 97 steering column in the attic with a good intermediate shaft and would be happy to sell/ship. Send a PM

good luck
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2011, 10:24 AM   #14
Dodgeram1989
1976 FSJ Cherokee 

Pmd ya about the steering column
Dodgeram1989 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2011, 10:21 PM   #15
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Thought you could only buy the shaft as part of the column assembly as its collapsible.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.