steering shaft joints - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > steering shaft joints

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Warrior Products @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 09-25-2007, 06:16 PM   #1
-Joe-
1995 ZJ 

steering shaft joints

Anyone know if the small u-joints on the steering shaft are servicable? (Engine compartment) According to the fsm is the coupler shaft.

I see one by the steering box and a second closer to the firewall. They look somewhat replaceable..

'95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo I6 4.0L
242TC - Extreme Engineering 2" Front Lift/1.75" Rear Lift - ES9000 Shocks + JKS BPEs
Moog Cargo Control Springs
Magnaflow Converter - Dynomax Muffler
235/75/15 AT Uniroyal Liberator Tires
-Joe- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2007, 08:29 PM   #2
rxl
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Did you look for a set screw on the shaft side?

Canadian Jeep Club Member #7

99 GC limited
4.7 Quadradrive

97 TJ Sport
4.0 5 speed

99TJ Sahara
4.0 Auto

Sold to a life of blacktop
94 ZJ Limited
I6 Quadratrac
rxl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2007, 09:26 PM   #3
-Joe-
1995 ZJ 

I know the whole shaft is removable, but im asking if I can just replace the 2 joints and where I could find them. I dont see anything listed on the normal part sites, unless Im looking under the wrong part name.

'95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo I6 4.0L
242TC - Extreme Engineering 2" Front Lift/1.75" Rear Lift - ES9000 Shocks + JKS BPEs
Moog Cargo Control Springs
Magnaflow Converter - Dynomax Muffler
235/75/15 AT Uniroyal Liberator Tires
-Joe- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2007, 09:37 PM   #4
rxl
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I know the joints are removable on the outer ends but without looking I cant say if they come off the shaft itself. Assuming they do, it will most likely be a dealer item. An idea would be to source out speed and custom shops that are always upgrading steering links and such. Get some pretty chrome ones.

Canadian Jeep Club Member #7

99 GC limited
4.7 Quadradrive

97 TJ Sport
4.0 5 speed

99TJ Sahara
4.0 Auto

Sold to a life of blacktop
94 ZJ Limited
I6 Quadratrac
rxl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2007, 06:18 AM   #5
tjsgrecc
2000 WJ 

my friend tried to replace his on his yj (only one joint) and was unable to get that. he had to buy a whole new steering linkage for about $100-200 bucks if i remember right. the dealership told him the same thing.
2000 Black WJ w/ I6, Selec-Trac | Tow-Hooks | Transfer Skid Plate | 2.5" KOR BB | SkyJacker 8000 Nitro Shocks | 245/75R16 Kelly Safari MSRs | 2 Eclipse amps | MB Quart 12" Sub | Phoenix Gold Speakers F/R | Pioneer MP3 Deck |
tjsgrecc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.